DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, KXAN, a LIN broadcasting station is displaying alternatives for customers who want to continue to receive KXAN in the local area. LIN is currently in the process of taking their broadcast off of Time Warner Cable. The alternative LIN is giving are currently the AT&T Uverse or Dish network. Not sure why they do not add Directv into that, but here are a couple of shots showing the ticker that this will happen on Oct. 2nd.

Attachments

· AllStar
69 Posts
LIN pulled the same stunt in the Springfield-Holyoke, MA DMA (109) when negotiations with Charter came to a standstill. They had the scroll going every 30 minutes or so, prompted by the hi-lo "ambulance" audio alert that they usually reserve for thunderstorms. This thing lasted about a week until Charter caved.

· Godfather
310 Posts
Groundhog45 said:
Thanks for the update, Spanky. Guess it's time to re-install the OTA antenna.
... and yet ANOTHER reason for D* to put OTA tuners into the receivers. LIN's (or the latest troublesome parent) stubbornness/greed won't ever go away. I hope the new D* TiVO box has the OTA tuner in it, otherwise it's a COMPLETE WASTE.

· Hall Of Fame
2,012 Posts
Doug Brott said:
Seems there comes a point when you take your ball away often enough that folks will just get used to using a different ball :shrug:
That supposes that an alternate delivery method exists. OTA only exists for me for 3 of the broadcast networks: NBC, ABC, and PBS. Of those only two are doing digital/HD in my area: NBC and PBS.

I hate to seem anarchaic, but it might be time for the villagers to storm the broadcast tower in some areas. These broadcasters are supposed to be serving their constituents, not holding them hostage.

· Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It turns out that every cable company and sat supplier has made arrangements with LIN and have bitten the golden bullet. at least in the Austin area. It seems that this is only Time Warner Cable that is baulking at this. Personally, I hope they stand up to them and tell them to take a hike!

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
Doug Brott said:
Seems there comes a point when you take your ball away often enough that folks will just get used to using a different ball :shrug:
Except all the service providers keep paying them to bring their ball back. ;)

Mike

· Legend
134 Posts
WIVB in Buffalo is also using crawls to advertise an October 2 "go dark" date on TWC. Advertising DISH and FIOS as alternatives. (No mention of DirecTV, but I seem to recall LIN making a deal with DISH--before coming to an agreement with DirecTV--in which DISH would be given preferential treatment.)

· AllStar
69 Posts
rsteinfe said:
WIVB in Buffalo is also using crawls to advertise an October 2 "go dark" date on TWC. Advertising DISH and FIOS as alternatives. (No mention of DirecTV, but I seem to recall LIN making a deal with DISH--before coming to an agreement with DirecTV--in which DISH would be given preferential treatment.)
D* was the suggested alternative in my DMA.

· Icon
715 Posts
Given that the LIN cretins and D* finally came to an agreement recently , I'd think their programming is safe on D* for at least the length of the retransmission agreement they reached.

But yeah, I do agree that LIN sucks regardless. And I get all my locals OTA now so it's become mostly moot for me.

· Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
I still think that the TV stations should pay the cable companies for carriage. That way they can get more eyes on their station and thus increase their advertising rates. :)

· Legend
160 Posts
I noticed this with our local Lin station today. WTHI-TV in Terre Haute.

I have an AM21 for my OTA locals, since Directv doesn't provide Terre Haute locals. I am thankfully immune to these types of problems as long as I can pick them up OTA.

· Godfather
260 Posts
In the longer clip with the station manager about the situation, he mentioned they have come to agreements with all but TWC in this area, they do mention Directv. As the list of alternatives D* was mentioned, I read somewhere they worked out some kind of discount agreement with Dish and AT&T. I thought it was funny when Suddenlink in Georgetown signed up the Waco NBC station after KXAN unplugged them.

They have been trying to sell KXAN for awhile, I wish someone decent would buy it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.