DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a domain that I use for the family email.
I did it so I can have as many email accounts I need for the family, and aliases for each and every case.

Lately, our email's are being trapped by several different servics as SPAM and going off to the Junk email folders.

Like our son's school, and my wife's friends and business opportunities.

Any ideas on where to start, in getting our domain OUT of these filters and allow what ever mechanisms at work to validate our emails so they can get out of the bulk systems, that are being used?

We can't always rely on one-on-one fixes, as we often have cases where we can't even communicate with some businesses to let them know we are real people, and it isn't spam.

Do I start with my ISP? Domain Registar?
We both use Outlook as our email tool for the most part.

· Know Nothing
6,269 Posts
Since you're probably on a shared server, I'd guess some other domain on the server is the culprit and the server is blacklisted.

I'd start with your webhost.

Like our son's school, and my wife's friends and business opportunities.
Those places could add your domain to their whitelists.

· Legend
367 Posts
In your outlook setup, do you know what you are using for the outbound SMTP server? Is it the server of your ISP or the domain registrar? I always try to make sure that I use the SMTP server of my ISP. Years ago, I had an issue where some of my emails were getting rejected by some recipients because their mail servers did not like the fact that the SMTP server I was using was different than the network I was sending the email on (my ISP's network). However, that was a long time ago and I think nowadays as long as you are using authentication on the SMTP server, it shouldn't matter.

· Registered
4,042 Posts
The other thing you would need to check is if your ISP supports reverse DNS lookup.

(Hope it's not Clear, because they do not support it.)

Many mail systems look at the IP address of the sender and they will automatically flag the message as spam if the IP address is not registered to the domain that sent it.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SayWhat? said:
Those places could add your domain to their whitelists.
The main problem is, I often can't make first contact, because it is getting trapped... Once we get through, then we have had many add us to their whitelist.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dpeters11 said:
Check to see if you are on the blacklists first, but you probably are. I think you need to do it by MX record.

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx
Thanks... according to that tool... the server we are on is NOT blacklisted.
So that is a good thing

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
swyman18 said:
In your outlook setup, do you know what you are using for the outbound SMTP server? Is it the server of your ISP or the domain registrar? I always try to make sure that I use the SMTP server of my ISP. Years ago, I had an issue where some of my emails were getting rejected by some recipients because their mail servers did not like the fact that the SMTP server I was using was different than the network I was sending the email on (my ISP's network). However, that was a long time ago and I think nowadays as long as you are using authentication on the SMTP server, it shouldn't matter.
I am using the email host's SMTP server...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.