DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
Housekamp is correct - synchros can be screwy. You will measure voltage across both the stators and the rotors while the unit is in motion - otherwise the synchros wouldn't be synchros (it is this voltage which induces movement). When at rest, you should see 0 volts across the stators and 1/3 of the line voltage across each of the rotors. So, long story short, what do you see when the antenna is at rest?

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Okay, I guess I am confused. I am measuring the voltages at the controller. There are three posts -- labeled 1, 2, and Wide Wire.
Okay so what voltage should I get over 1 and 2, 1 and Wide, 2 and Wide when the rotor is turning? How about when it is at rest? If these three posts correspond to the stators and rotors, which is which?

The whole problem is that something is wrong with the rotor system. The antenna is in a very difficult location to reach and replacing the rotor on the antenna itself would require hiring someone.
So I am first trying to be sure that the problem is or is not with the controller before I worry about the rotor itself.
Thanks,
Dave
Ah -OK, so you weren't measuring at the rotor itself... That does change things. The control signals will be split at the rotor to move the antenna. Unfortunately, without being able to see the schematics for your particular setup, I won't be able to answer your question directly. What are the exact symptoms you are experiencing now (sorry - can't look back to see what you wrote previously as I type this response)?

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Exact: Rotor doesn't turn.
Also, when one moves the controller "pointer" in either direction, the controller starts to move but the pointer moves with it in stead of staying where it was pointed to, so it never gets to where it was pointed to until every thing stops at North.

The controller I have is what I thought was a rather common three wire system, with one "wide wire" screw terminal and two other terminals labeled 1 and 2.
My assumption is that the wide wire is a common lead and that 1 and 2 are the directional leads, in which case only one or the other, depending on the direction you are turning, should have voltage. But, in fact, they both have voltage no matter which way you are turning the controller.

Thanks for your kind assistance.
Dave
Have you verified the antenna itself isn't physically caught on something preventing it from moving? From your description, it sounds like the mountings themselves may be slipping.

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
deebeeeff said:
Ahhh we are back to the curx of the problem. Determining that requires hiring someone to go up there and check. And that someone has to be experienced enough to know how to walk on a tile roof that is rather steep and unique - a wrong step can cause the tiles to crack and the roof to leak. This is why I am trying to be sure it isn't the controller first.
?? It's in a place you can't even see if it's trying to turn? You haven't described how/where your antenna is mounted. Without knowing your circumstances, I find it a little strange you can't even see it, ifyouknowwhatImean... Even if it's on the roof, standing a bit back from the house with a decent pair of binoculars while someone turns the control would give you some idea of what is happening, I would venture to guess (heck, you could probably turn the controler 360 degrees - from North to North - and have time to run outside to see what it's doing :) ). If it's in the attic, same idea, more or less... More details, please. Simple questions, but important to try to help you diagnose the issue.

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
deebeeeff said:
LOL - no , sorry. Yeah I can see if it is trying to turn and from all appearances it is not.
OK... Hate to tell you this, but I think we've come full circle. Sorry. It is important for you to verify if the antenna tries to move at the very first moment you activate the controller. If it nudges even a little, this would probably indicate a problem with either the mounting hardware and/or that the antenna is physically restricted from moving. If there is no movement, and again, basing this without seeing the schematics for your unit, if the voltage is identical (amplitude and polarity) between the two control wires and ground regardless of attempted direction of movement, I would surmise the problem is in the control unit and not the rotor. Wish I could help more...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.