DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had all the info needed to prep my home; but, alas, I don't.

I want my dish installed on the back (south) side my home. I am going to provide a mounting surface by lag screwing a pressure treated 2x12 spanning two wall studs, with a piece of 3/4" pressure treated plywood screwed to the 2x12.

Problem is I don't know the elevation to do this as I want to have mounting surface in place prior to the installer showing up.

I want the top of the dish to be below the roof line.

Can somebody with an AT9 mounted on the side of their home provide the overall height from top of dish to bottom of mounting plate?

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ricka said:
This should cover your question plus any other info that might arise.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=2&CAT=&PROD=AT59
Thanks for the thought. Unfortunately, I had already found that site and it does not address my question (overall height from top of dish to bottom of mounting plate).

Believe me, I searched high and low on the net before initiating this thread. I'm hoping somebody will just grap a tape measure and post the height.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
For the Slimline/AU9:

Mast is roughly 24 inches from bottom of the foot to the top of the mast, assuming a wall mount.

The reflector/back assembly is also roughly 24 inches from where the back assembly will sit on the mast to the top of the dish.

So 4 feet.

As a general rule any time I mount a ODU on the side of a house under an overhang I put the top of the ODU 1 1/2 times the amount of overhang.

For example, 1 foot overhang, the top of the ODU shouldn't be any closer than 1.5 feet to the overhange.

Make sense?

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RobertE said:
.......................Make sense?
It does make sense. Just to confirm, using the 1' of overhang as a given, bottom of the foot should be 5'-6" from low spot of overhang. Correct?

I sincerely appreciate your input. Thanks for taking the time.

·
Legend
127 Posts
RobertE said:
As a general rule any time I mount a ODU on the side of a house under an overhang I put the top of the ODU 1 1/2 times the amount of overhang.
That is solid, good advice.

However, due to a "cough" slight measuring miscalculation, the edge of the reflector on my AT9 is roughly two inches from the lip of the overhang (eve) of the roof.

I get excellent signal levels on all satellites...but I'm pretty sure I lucked out.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
AirShark said:
That is solid, good advice.

However, due to a "cough" slight measuring miscalculation, the edge of the reflector on my AT9 is roughly two inches from the lip of the overhang (eve) of the roof.

I get excellent signal levels on all satellites...but I'm pretty sure I lucked out.
It's good that your measurement wasn't any further off :D

The main things I think one needs to worry about are that the overhang doesn't shadow any of the signal from the satellite (remember that because the dish uses an offset feed the satellite is approx. 20 degrees above where the dish appears to be pointing) and that you don't get any reflections from the edge of the overhang causing interference with the desired signal (this may not be a real problem, but I'd be concerned if there was a metal gutter on the edge of the overhang).

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
frank29 said:
It does make sense. Just to confirm, using the 1' of overhang as a given, bottom of the foot should be 5'-6" from low spot of overhang. Correct?

I sincerely appreciate your input. Thanks for taking the time.
That should cover it.

It all goes back to the math classes in school. You know, the classes that we all said "we'll never use this stuff". :nono2:

Anyway, all things being equal, a 1:1 ratio of overhang to top of ODU should give a 45 degree line of sight. A 1:1.5 should give a....I dunno, something greater than 45 deg :p

Considering that your look angle for the 101 for the Atlanta area is going to be around 47 deg, the 1:1.5 would be the least I would go. Maybe even 1:1.75 or 1:2.

·
Legend
127 Posts
bobnielsen said:
It's good that your measurement wasn't any further off :D .........I'd be concerned if there was a metal gutter on the edge of the overhang).
No kidding! And no metal here....just a wood overhang. I was actually pretty aprehensive that it would work when I first put it up, but after using the Acutrac22Pro meter I'm getting:

ZIP: 95023
City: Hollister, CA
Reciever: HR20
Dish: AT9
Cable: 100 foot run

101 Sat:
1- 8 95 92 93 97 92 88 89 85
9 -16 87 85 89 97 93 94 91 95
17-24 92 72 88 98 88 91 94 94
25-32 95 00 95 73 96 92 91 88

110 Sat:
1-8 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 93
9-16 N/A 93 N/A 95 N/A N/A N/A N/A
17-24 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
25-32 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

119 Sat:
1-8 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
9-16 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
17-24 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A 79 95 79
25-32 00 82 88 79 78 78 95 79

99(b) Sat:
1-8 00 91 100 00 00 69 N/A N/A

103 (a) Sat:
1-8 00 100 00 00 00 100 N/A N/A

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RobertE said:
That should cover it.

It all goes back to the math classes in school. You know, the classes that we all said "we'll never use this stuff". :nono2:

Anyway, all things being equal, a 1:1 ratio of overhang to top of ODU should give a 45 degree line of sight. A 1:1.5 should give a....I dunno, something greater than 45 deg :p

Considering that your look angle for the 101 for the Atlanta area is going to be around 47 deg, the 1:1.5 would be the least I would go. Maybe even 1:1.75 or 1:2.
You the man. But, seriously, thanks for the help. You have helped more than you might realize.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.