DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an HD set and installed DirecTV a few months ago and have been puzzled by the varying picture quality across different channels (despite very good satellite reception numbers). On HD channels, slow-moving pictures usually look very crisp. But sporting events, especially on the broadcast channels (but on the 70s as well), show pixelization in high-motion sequences which ranges from mild to really, really distracting.

DirecTV technicians have been out a bunch of times, and they look at the picture samples I show them and have had a variety of responses -- blaming the TV for being too big (? a 46" Bravia LCD), blaming cabling (which they've replaced with no effect), etc.

But what it looks like is that some channels are just WAY overcompressed for sports programming, including the broadcast channels and ESPN. Do others get the same experience where, when watching HD basketball or football broadcasts, the high-motion sequences become badly pixelated?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Remo,

Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

Yes, I've seen several stations put too many subchannels on their digital feeds and end up short changing the HD subchannel. Our local NBC affiliate just turned off their SD copy because of Sunday night football issues, for instance.

One of the best places of information is at avsforums and in the thread about your locals: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=453241

Cheers,
Tom

·
Legend
247 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. Always during sports. I've noticed grain on certain hd channels .TNTHD & Discovery. Not as much lately. Thank god they enabled the OTA

·
Legend
100 Posts
Check out the following article over at AVS. It talks about varying HD quality on cable and satellite systems, compression, over-compression, bandwidth issues, the lawsuit against DirecTV, and a whole bunch of HD related stuff. What's strange is that the article says that ESPN requires providers to carry their stations at 19.4Mbps but, DTV obviously must not be, as I often find the picture to be of poor quality. The NFL network games on channel 95 look even worse to me.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=769843

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.