DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for my stupidity on this subject but I am on 00FA in San Diego. Should I do everything in my power to get Ox10B even though I already get local MPEG HD on my HR20 with FA software?

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
Scoonie1973 said:
Sorry for my stupidity on this subject but I am on 00FA in San Diego. Should I do everything in my power to get Ox10B even though I already get local MPEG HD on my HR20 with FA software?
I'm sorry to say, but I believe the window for the 0x10B update has been closed. You can try a forced download and possibly get 0x108 or 0x104 but mostlikely you'll only re-download 0xFA.

·
UNIX
2,399 Posts
Scoonie1973 said:
Scoonie - You missed the 2-1/2 hour window for downloading the 0x10B software download. If everything is working fine for you now, be content until 0x10B or a later release goes public.

If you try to force downloads now (after the window period), you'll just keep getting the 0x00FA release.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't get at least 104. I'm in the same market as you and received it automatically. Did have to force 108 and 10B. I have had decent results with this latest release.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to force the Ox10B but it keeps rebooting at OxFA. IF, I had Ox10B could I recieve the other OTA HD channels such as PBS etc?

Right now, I recieve CBS, Fox, NBC, and ABC only.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Scoonie1973 said:
I tried to force the Ox10B but it keeps rebooting at OxFA. IF, I had Ox10B could I recieve the other OTA HD channels such as PBS etc?

Right now, I recieve CBS, Fox, NBC, and ABC only.
The only firmware you can get at this time is 0xFA. If you had 0x10b you could receive OTA HD channels such as pbs etc.

The "window" to force download the 0x10b firmware was only about two hours on Friday night. Now, you have to wait for it to go "national", or for another national release. You can be pretty sure the next national release will have OTA in it.

There could be a release before the end of the year, there might not ...completely unknown at this point.

You can watch the forum and see if there's any news, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high...it's hard to get stuff done at this time of year.

The only good news I can give you is that the OTA in the HR20 works really well for me. I'm getting beautiful recordings, even two at a time.

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I finally received the new software but I still am not receiving all of my San Diego local HD channels. The only channels I receive for local HD are ABC, Fox, CBS, and NBC, I was already receiving these before the software upgrade.

I am not receiving the following local HD channels:
PBS: KPBS HD
Channel 4: Local San Diego HD (Maybe only Cox has this.)
MyTV: XDTV Channel 13
CW: San Diego Channel 5
Subchannels: I used to have multiple subchannels listed in guide but now they are gone.

Does anyone in San Diego area know if I should be receiving these or not? Does the receiver need to be setup differently?

·
Icon
770 Posts
Scoonie1973 said:
So I finally received the new software but I still am not receiving all of my San Diego local HD channels. The only channels I receive for local HD are ABC, Fox, CBS, and NBC, I was already receiving these before the software upgrade.

Subchannels: I used to have multiple subchannels listed in guide but now they are gone.

Does anyone in San Diego area know if I should be receiving these or not? Does the receiver need to be setup differently?
Where are you located in San Diego? What kind of antenna do you have? Where is it mounted? Just having 0x1b doesn't mean that you will automatically receive all available OTA signals in San Diego. Local broadcasting is done from three different locations, Mt. Soledad in La Jolla for KFMB (CBS) and KGTV (ABC), Mt. San Miguel in Spring Valley for KNSD (NBC), KPBS and KSWB (CW), and Mt. San Miguel in Mexico for XETV (Fox).

I'm in Rancho Penasquitos on a ridge on Penasquitos Canyon. I have a direct line-of-sight to Mt. Soledad where KFMB and KGTV broadcast 10 miles away. I can get their signal at 100%. I've been doing OTA since July 2001 and I've never been able to get KNSD. I used to get KPBS and KSWB when my antenna was in my attic but since mounting it on my chimney I can no longer receive their signal. However, I can still get LA broadcasts from 103 miles away.

Take a look at My Antenna Installation for more info. This Web page was done in October 2001. It will give you a much broader view of HD broadcasts in the San Diego area.

·
Cool Member
24 Posts
Scoonie1973 said:

You need to attach an external antenna and then run the antenna setup in the Setup sub-menus. Then make sure you add the new stations to your "Favorites".

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Understood. I don't have an antenna, just HR20. I thought with the new Ox10B software you would automatically receive ALL OTA HD local channels. I guess I was dreaming too much again.

BTW, I am in Solana Beach, Thanks for the information.

·
Mentor
39 Posts
Hey, Scoonie, I'm in Del Mar. I just got the new update yesterday, and I'm getting plenty of OTA HD from San Diego broadcast stations with an indoor antenna. Search the web or these forums for suggestions, but without too much trouble and for about 25 bucks, you should be able to attach an indoor antenna and get, in addition to the satellite channels:

6,8,10 and 39 Hi-def feeds, including two feeds for 10 and 39
Two HD feeds for 15 (PBS)
HD feed for 51
Two HD feeds for 69, including the incredibly cool 69-3, "The Tube" 24 hour music video channel.

This last is worth the price of the indoor antenna.

Barry

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Scoonie1973 said:
Understood. I don't have an antenna, just HR20. I thought with the new Ox10B software you would automatically receive ALL OTA HD local channels. I guess I was dreaming too much again.

BTW, I am in Solana Beach, Thanks for the information.
Pardon the incredulous look on my face, but are you saying you expected to receive Over-The-Air (OTA-HD) on your HR20 with NO antenna connected to it? Wow!:D :D :D

I'm really not trying to give you a hard time...really...I'm just trying to ....well....fathom it all.:D

Looks like some buddies in the same DMA are helping you out. Good luck and enjoy your HR20. Thanks for the chuckle!

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hasan said:
Pardon the incredulous look on my face, but are you saying you expected to receive Over-The-Air (OTA-HD) on your HR20 with NO antenna connected to it? Wow!:D :D :D

I'm really not trying to give you a hard time...really...I'm just trying to ....well....fathom it all.:D

Looks like some buddies in the same DMA are helping you out. Good luck and enjoy your HR20. Thanks for the chuckle!
Glad you got a good laugh. Since I already receive ABC, NBC etc, why would I not
assume I could receive the other ones also?

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
barryr said:
Hey, Scoonie, I'm in Del Mar. I just got the new update yesterday, and I'm getting plenty of OTA HD from San Diego broadcast stations with an indoor antenna. Search the web or these forums for suggestions, but without too much trouble and for about 25 bucks, you should be able to attach an indoor antenna and get, in addition to the satellite channels:

6,8,10 and 39 Hi-def feeds, including two feeds for 10 and 39
Two HD feeds for 15 (PBS)
HD feed for 51
Two HD feeds for 69, including the incredibly cool 69-3, "The Tube" 24 hour music video channel.

This last is worth the price of the indoor antenna.

Barry
Barryr:

What kind of indoor antenna do you have and where did you get it?

·
Mentor
39 Posts
I have the Zenith...can't recall the model number. I paid about $30 for it at Sears at UTC, based on recommendations on the net a couple of years ago. Every now and then 8-1 or 10-1 is a little dicey OTA, but with the HR-20 I don't need OTA for those. But the indoor antenna picks up PBS and The Tube just fine and very reliably.

Good luck!

Scoonie1973 said:
Barryr:

What kind of indoor antenna do you have and where did you get it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.