DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HR20 doesn't say it is going to get any updates today and I was told it should, I am on the east coast, the dtv tech tried to get me to reformat my HR20 but I already have shows recorded on it, so I wanted to wait a day or so to see if it comes on its own. Does anyone know when I should expect it and if it should say it in my menu? thanks
PS: If anyone has this upgrade, are things better? like the brurry picture on sd channels as it was not as good as the hr10 overall like even the hd channels are not as super sharp...:confused:

·
Banned
614 Posts
jwren said:
My HR20 doesn't say it is going to get any updates today and I was told it should, I am on the east coast, the dtv tech tried to get me to reformat my HR20 but I already have shows recorded on it, so I wanted to wait a day or so to see if it comes on its own. Does anyone know when I should expect it and if it should say it in my menu? thanks
PS: If anyone has this upgrade, are things better? like the brurry picture on sd channels and not as good as the hr10 overall like even the hd channels are not as super sharp...:confused:
The latest update has added some features, and it seems to be stable. Eastern US hasn't got it yet. Some speculate we will get it tonight after midnight. It's probably a good idea just to let it update automatically when it does become available, instead of holding your breath and doing forced updates often. Don't count on the service menu to tell you when an update is available, mine never has, and I don't think that actually is reliable to determine an incoming update.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
I got tired of doing a forced download and not getting the update. I'll just sit back and wait for the gods at D* to decide when it's the right time.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
The latest update has added some features, and it seems to be stable.
Stable is a very brave statement for code that has been on boxes for maybe around 12 hours.

I would give it at least 3 - 5 days of use before making any statement of stability and more conservatively at least 2 weeks of solid use.

That is unless what you mean by stability is it is not causing HR20s to burst into flames. If so, it is rock solid so far. :)

·
Banned
614 Posts
btmoore said:
Stable is a very brave statement for code that has been on boxes for maybe around 12 hours.

I would give it at least 3 - 5 days of use before making any statement of stability and more conservatively at least 2 weeks of solid use.

That is unless what you mean by stability is it is not causing HR20s to burst into flames. If so, it is rock solid so far. :)
;)

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
jwren said:
My HR20 doesn't say it is going to get any updates today and I was told it should
It will never say that it's going to receive an update, until the update is actually sent out and for some reason it can't reboot and install it right away.

·
Icon
545 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
The latest update has added some features, and it seems to be stable.
I'd wait until after prime time tonite to speculate on how stable it is! :lol:

We'll just have to count how many posts on Thurs. titled:

:mad: :mad:
"MY DANCIN WIDTH DA STARS DIDN'T RECORD"
:mad: :mad:

·
Icon
928 Posts
Got here in Atlanta, GA!! Wooohooo!

·
Legend
157 Posts
Downloading it now in Chicago burbs!

·
Banned
614 Posts
:)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Are you all forcing it?
Or did the screen show a dialog to let you know it was available?

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Are you all forcing it?
I can't imagine they would have the dialog come up right in the middle of prime time. The rollouts usually happen like this, where the software is made available a few hours before the receivers are told to actually do the update.

·
Banned
614 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Are you all forcing it?
Have you got 0xef Earl? I don't think that the dialog screen ever truly lets you know when it's available. Has it for you?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Jeremy W said:
I can't imagine they would have the dialog come up right in the middle of prime time. The rollouts usually happen like this, where the software is made available a few hours before the receivers are told to actually do the update.
The "normal" process... is that the system needs at least a 30 minute window, with nothing scheduled to go.

If that is the case... then it will prompt you with a dialog... if it thinks you have been recently using the system... (some time in the last 4 hours of remote activity)

The dialog usually appears about 5 minutes to the hour, as that is roughly the pattern of the bursts of "announcements" in the data stream that an update is available.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Have you got 0xef Earl? I don't think that the dialog screen ever truly lets you know when it's available. Has it for you?
I have seen the dialog in the past... It also helps that I am given a "rough" estimate on when they are droping the code into the stream.. :D

Generally, they "PUSH" it to the units during the early AM hours

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.