DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I asked this in the 0x104 thread but either no one knows or else they're all so enraptured about their OTA joy that they don't care. Has anyone figured out if program padding is fixed yet, or are we still going to have to just record the next program out of the Guide to make sure we don't miss things that run long?

Second, a padding issue: we like to watch CSI: syndicated on Spike. That channel has an annoying habit of starting their shows about 30 seconds late and running about 30 seconds long. They also run several episodes back to back on some nights. What I would LIKE to do is change recording options to start 30 seconds late and end 30 seconds late so that I get the entire episode. Unfortunately, it looks like the only options are in 1 minute increments and that you can't start late or end early at all. So if I tell the HR20 to end my recordings of CSI: on Spike 1 minute late, it's more extra than I need, and will also cancel every other recording during their back-to-back marathons because running long interferes with the subsequent recording (which I cannot tell to start late). Argh.

Given how many networks (*cough* NBC! *cough*) seem to enjoy screwing with people by starting shows at odd times and running a minute or two long on purpose), it seems to me that tweaking show times early OR LATE would be an increasingly-important feature.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
LameLefty said:
First off, I asked this in the 0x104 thread but either no one knows or else they're all so enraptured about their OTA joy that they don't care. Has anyone figured out if program padding is fixed yet, or are we still going to have to just record the next program out of the Guide to make sure we don't miss things that run long?

Second, a padding issue: we like to watch CSI: syndicated on Spike. That channel has an annoying habit of starting their shows about 30 seconds late and running about 30 seconds long. They also run several episodes back to back on some nights. What I would LIKE to do is change recording options to start 30 seconds late and end 30 seconds late so that I get the entire episode. Unfortunately, it looks like the only options are in 1 minute increments and that you can't start late or end early at all. So if I tell the HR20 to end my recordings of CSI: on Spike 1 minute late, it's more extra than I need, and will also cancel every other recording during their back-to-back marathons because running long interferes with the subsequent recording (which I cannot tell to start late). Argh.

Given how many networks (*cough* NBC! *cough*) seem to enjoy screwing with people by starting shows at odd times and running a minute or two long on purpose), it seems to me that tweaking show times early OR LATE would be an increasingly-important feature.
To further complicate this issue is when recording a marathon session of one show on a channel, using padding, the poor device isn't smart enough to realize that it can just use 1 tuner and put the padding into two shows. (On the wishlist as slow padding.)

So two tuners are used and conflicts occur that really don't need to.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Godfather
260 Posts
My SD-DirecTivo had the same issue when recording races on Speed, they would be backed up one after the other but inevitably the last one would be clipped at the end. It would be nice if the networks and D* could get their clocks synced up.

·
Godfather
338 Posts
Ah! I suspect I've had the same trouble as you, lefty. My HR 20 may lock up if I ask it to pad a show, usually I want a live sporting event to stop recording 30min or an hour later. I think it's worse if I've already got the show in my To Do list, then try to add the time later. I did get it to pad a Series Link (not a live event) successfully. A simple power off / power on unlocks the DVR.

A specific example is the Saints-Cowboys game on the local NBC-DT station tomorrow (12/10). I also have my unit to record NFLNET/212 immediately after (NFL Gameday, 2030 PT). When I tried to 'add time' to the football game, the unit just flat refused a few times; then it locked up on me.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Soft padding was added to the Wishlist Survey some time ago.

28 3.090↓ soft buffering - putting the last couple of minutes of one show and the first couple of minutes of a second show into both recordings if shows are recorded back-to-back on the same channel.

If you have not taken the Wishlist Survey in the past week several changes are made each Friday. Please Take the Wishlist Survey .

Also, I had this same issue with primetime blocks and marathons. The UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips and Tricks has had this for some time but V2.9 will have this updated section:

EXTENDING TIME (PADDING)- Shows often run earlier or later than scheduled.
Normal Padding - Press LIST .then Press theYELLOWbutton and then SELECT the program

You can choose to "pad": Start early or Stop later, etc. Click "Record as Set" or "Record Series".

Undocumented! -Soft Padding - What if a channel has shows from 7:00 to 10:00 all doing this?

Press LIST .then Press theYELLOWbutton and Click Scheduler à Manual Record.

- Craig

·
Godfather
260 Posts
I padded the recording of the launch last night while it was still recording and it worked without a problem. Most of the time that I have padded I have not had an issue....yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.