DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Godfather
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried Pandora on my main HR20...works nice EXCEPT I cant get it to output 5.1 sound.

If Im watching TV it all works as it should....5.1 out of the HR20 and my home theater receiver registers it as Dolby Digital.

When I switch to Pandora the first second of a track plays in 5.1 then the output cuts out completely (no Pro Logic, stereo, whatever)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

-Chris

·
4 Posts
Same here Chris

I do get output to the TV via the analog cables, however, I am getting same scenario as you when I try and listen through my receiver. Cuts out almost immediately. I imagine that if we were to run analog cables from the Sat Receiver to our Stereo Receiver and switch to analog it would work.

This is a strange issue as youtube outputs through my stereo receiver.

I tried changing to a non 5.1 as suggested and still didn't work.

Scott

·
Godfather
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it working, kind of.

It turns out the first track I play with Pandora does not come out over the optical output of the receiver. Subsequent tracks do, BUT never 5.1. The best Ive gotten is ProLogic.

TV channels work just fine....prologic, 5.1, whatever is broadcast is coming through correctly. Its just Pandora that isnt playing 5.1 (makes me wonder if its SUPPOSED to be 5.1 or if they are downsampling for some reason?)

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
chrisexv6 said:

It turns out the first track I play with Pandora does not come out over the optical output of the receiver. Subsequent tracks do, BUT never 5.1. The best Ive gotten is ProLogic.

TV channels work just fine....prologic, 5.1, whatever is broadcast is coming through correctly. Its just Pandora that isnt playing 5.1 (makes me wonder if its SUPPOSED to be 5.1 or if they are downsampling for some reason?)
Do you have a free Pandora account or do you pay for Pandora? I believe you only get DD if you pay for Pandora.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
Pandora is only output in Stereo (2 Channel). Pandora One does offer higher quality (192 kb) audio vs Pandora Free (64-128 kb). If you wish to listen in Surround you must use emulation decoding such as Doly Pro Logic II, THX, or any other emulation decoder.

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
I'd venture that 98.364% --- approximately!-- :D of all music is engineered for two channels only. Back and side channels are for sound effects mostly in films.

·
4 Posts
chrisexv6 said:

That is interesting. Will check it out later. I didn't expect 5.1 but I would expect PCM through the optical cable. I am pretty confident that it will work through some RCAs. Not sure if it is that important to me at this time to buy a 20 foot cable and pull my rack out. As others have said the best bit rate we are probably getting is 128K

·
AllStar
88 Posts
I've got an optical out from the HR24 to my Onkyo. I choose the 5 channel stereo mix on the onkyo (never have gotten 5.1 from Pandora or even from Netflix via my sony blu-ray) and it works for a few songs, when a song ends no music. I change the input on the onkyo from V1 to any other source, then back to v1 and the music resumes.

As stated earlier, I think the analog output to the Onkyo would eliminate the problem but getting behind there for a 128k music feed just doesn't seem worth it. (IMHO)

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
Laxguy said:
I'd venture that 98.364% --- approximately!-- :D of all music is engineered for two channels only. Back and side channels are for sound effects mostly in films.
There are albums coming out now that are 5.1. Very few, yes, but they are coming out.

·
4 Posts
e4123 said:
I've got an optical out from the HR24 to my Onkyo. I choose the 5 channel stereo mix on the onkyo (never have gotten 5.1 from Pandora or even from Netflix via my sony blu-ray) and it works for a few songs, when a song ends no music. I change the input on the onkyo from V1 to any other source, then back to v1 and the music resumes.

As stated earlier, I think the analog output to the Onkyo would eliminate the problem but getting behind there for a 128k music feed just doesn't seem worth it. (IMHO)
Well it is good to see it isn't only one manufacturer that is having the problem, mine is a Yamaha. I tried switching the input and no joy for me.

I just don't understand it, as I can stream from my computers without issue, can watch youtube via the directv app with no issue, it is just Pandora.

Of course a call to DirecTV Customer Support was no help at all

Maybe we can all hope that the next software load fixes this problem.

Scott

·
4 Posts
chrisexv6 said:

Yep, it works after the first track. If you don't want to wait for the first track to end you can give it a thumbs down, and it will output to the receiver as well. I guess if you don't like the first track this is a viable option.

or

I guess you could create a station you know you won't like and as soon as the song starts thumb down, then go to your regular station.

Either seems to be working for me right now.

·
Legend
332 Posts
I have the HR20-700 and when I turn on Pandora most of the time it uotputs to my stereo (Bose Lifestyle) but sometimes it just cuts off. Go figure.

J C

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
RunnerFL said:
There are albums coming out now that are 5.1. Very few, yes, but they are coming out.
There does seem to be a slight revival of late, titles coming out on BD or SACD/DVD-A with surround mixes....40th anniversary Jethro Tull Aqualung is one that comes to mind...new Porcupine Tree, new Steve Wilson, etc....there are a few out there, almost forgot, Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here...

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
CCarncross said:
There does seem to be a slight revival of late, titles coming out on BD or SACD/DVD-A with surround mixes....40th anniversary Jethro Tull Aqualung is one that comes to mind...new Porcupine Tree, new Steve Wilson, etc....there are a few out there, almost forgot, Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here...
Isn't that gimmicky? At least some of it "sounds" that way to me; most music is played "out" to an audience, not surrounding it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.