DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,412 Posts
Wonder when all the cable/sat will offer if as they offer Showtime now
Paramount+ doesn't have any linear channels so carriage by MVPDs wouldn't be a thing.

Satellite wouldn't be a great place to buy a streaming-only service.

I'm not convinced that there would be a benefit to going around Paramount to get their products other than to get a a short-term promotional discount (something I often dabble in with Amazon).

·
Super Moderator
53,878 Posts
I would not mind the content merging IF the linear channels are maintained. Or at least the top linear channels the way HBO is presented on DISH. It would be good to see the Paramount+ shows on Showtime linear for those who cannot stream.

The good news is that Showtime is a premium so if it goes away the cost goes away for all subscribers. Perhaps losing millions of paying Showtime subscribers via satellite and cable will be encouragement to Paramount to keep a linear service running as they merge into the future.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I think they're going to do what I suggested earlier this year: get rid of the Showtime Anytime app and automatically include access to Paramount+ with a subscription to Showtime via a cable TV service. You'd still get the Showtime linear channels as part of your cable package. But for streaming, you'd use the Paramount+ app, where you'd have the Essential plan with ads, plus all of your Showtime content. The regular price* for this bundle via the Paramount+ app is $11.99/mo, which is the price Comcast already charges for Showtime alone. Other cable TV providers have different prices for Showtime, but they generally all range from $10 to $12.

If Showtime implements this change, they'll have to amend their distribution agreements with those cable services and all of them will probably set their price to right around the $12 mark. Cable subscribers who want to upgrade their Paramount+ plan from Essential to Premium could opt to do so and pay an extra $3/mo on their cable bill.

They'd likewise get rid of the standalone Showtime app, so cord-cutters who want Showtime could only get it by adding it to Paramount+ (either in that app or inside the Prime Video, Apple TV, or Roku Channel app).

If Paramount+ survives long enough, they might even eventually go so far as to only offer the Premium plan to customers who also take the Showtime add-on, i.e. offer only three plans:
Basic: $4.99/mo
Basic with Showtime: $11.99/mo
Premium with Showtime: $14.99/mo

That would be an effective way of getting more subs to watch ads, which is something all these services want to do.

*Note: To mark the intro of this new bundle in the Paramount+ app, from now through Oct. 2 if you subscribe to Paramount+ with Showtime, you get a special combo price as long as you stay subscribed: $7.99/mo for Essential or $12.99/mo for Premium. After Oct. 2, regular combo pricing will be in effect for new sign-ups: $11.99/mo for Essential or $14.99/mo for Premium.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
They'll just jack up the cost of Paramount+ til people won't want it anymore. Greed kills

Reactions: APB101

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty much how all of them will end up doing it. We will see HBO and Discovery+ combined next year. Paramount+ and Showtime. Peackock has NBC and several other networks attached to it. Disney+ has Hulu, ESPN, Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars and NatGeo with it. Once FOX gets it going (TUBI-TV) there will be 5 providers and you will have to take everything with each one at much higher prices than they are now. It will be the same then as it is now with cable/sat. You have to take the junk content to get the content you want.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
It isn't clear that this means they would be shut down the Showtime linear channel or convert it to a Paramount+ channel. Note that the article says they are considering shutting down Showtime "as a standalone service". The most likely scenario is that they offer the Showtime content as part of Paramount+, in the same way that HBO content is available with HBO Max, while continuing to offer Showtime as a premium channel on cable and satellite systems. That would make Paramount+ more attractive to subscribers while continuing to bring in revenue from Showtime.

·
Legend
260 Posts
Interested in this because I have Paramount+ and don't want Showtime. When I signed up for my plan over a year ago (annual subscription), it said the price wouldn't change for as long as I continued my subscription. Now that they have added Showtime the fine print has changed to: The discounted pricing is good for as long as customers keep their bundles (or until Paramount opts to adjust the terms of the offer). This does say bundles which I won't have. But it is concerning as to what will happen because in the long run if they don't honor the fine print, it might be cheaper to get the bundle now before the special ends Oct. 2

·
Hall Of Fame
5,476 Posts
It isn't clear that this means they would be shut down the Showtime linear channel or convert it to a Paramount+ channel. Note that the article says they are considering shutting down Showtime "as a standalone service". The most likely scenario is that they offer the Showtime content as part of Paramount+, in the same way that HBO content is available with HBO Max, while continuing to offer Showtime as a premium channel on cable and satellite systems. That would make Paramount+ more attractive to subscribers while continuing to bring in revenue from Showtime.
so get full / top level Paramount+ when you buy Showtime as a premium channel on cable and satellite systems?

·
AllStar
161 Posts
I don't believe that they'll stop offering Showtime to satellite/ cable companies. Not sure any CFO/ CEO would like to tell Wall Street or their investors that they'd be losing $'s and that it would impact earnings but then again, I've been wrong a time or 2. Have no clue what they're paid per sub but even if it's .02 cents per sub, it adds up.

·
Registered
834 Posts
For what it's worth they are running a package deal right now with ad supported Paramount+ along with Showtime for $7.99. Ad free Paramount+ and Showtime is $12.99. At this point that's not far off from Showtime by itself for $10.99. So yep I can see why they are talking about ending Showtime by itself and merging it with Paramount+.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Exactly. There are still a lot of folks who subscribe to Showtime as an add-on to their cable bundle. They don't want to throw all that money away. Nor do they want to do away with Showtime as a known brand because it still has value even in the streaming world.

The comparison to what Warner did with HBO to HBO Max (and getting rid of the legacy HBO Go and HBO Now apps) is exactly right, I think.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
so get full / top level Paramount+ when you buy Showtime as a premium channel on cable and satellite systems?
Given that Showtime tends to be sold by cable operators anywhere from $10 to $12 per month, and given that Paramount is now selling the entry-level ("Essential") tier of Paramount+ with ads plus Showtime together at a regular price of $11.99/mo, my guess is that what they'll do is give Showtime cable subscribers the Essential tier of Paramount+ with Showtime together in that one app. (And, of course, they'd still get Showtime linear channels and VOD on their cable box/app.) If that happens, I think you'll see all cable operators set their price for Showtime at $12/mo once it also includes Paramount+. That's what Comcast, the largest cableco in the nation, already charges for just Showtime alone.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,412 Posts
For what it's worth they are running a package deal right now with ad supported Paramount+ along with Showtime for $7.99. Ad free Paramount+ and Showtime is $12.99.
Ad-free Paramount+ is $9.99 by itself so this is a great deal while it lasts but not so much when the price goes up to $18 or more.

I don't think I would pay $5 for what Showtime is currently offering. Aside from any Showtime Originals (assuming they have any), Paramount+ probably has better content overall but I couldn't see myself subscribing more than a month at a time just to power through the Paramount+ originals.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I don't think I would pay $5 for what Showtime is currently offering. Aside from any Showtime Originals (assuming they have any), Paramount+ probably has better content overall but I couldn't see myself subscribing more than a month at a time just to power through the Paramount+ originals.
While Showtime still has a few originals left their clearly best one ("Inside The NFL") is now on Paramount+. With that said I might consider taking up on their $8 a month bundle deal just so I can watch "The First Lady" and the forth coming "The Lincoln Project."

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ad-free Paramount+ is $9.99 by itself so this is a great deal while it lasts but not so much when the price goes up to $18 or more.

Not sure where you're getting "price goes up to $18 or more". If you want the Premium (ad-free with 24/7 feed of your local CBS station) version of Paramount+ with Showtime, the current promo price through Oct. 2 for that package is $11.99 (i.e. just $1/mo more than the regular price for the standalone Showtime streaming service). You'll stay at that price for the life of your subscription. After Oct. 2, the price will go to its ongoing regular price of $14.99/mo. (which, not coincidentally, is the same cost as ad-free HBO Max, which they clearly see as their direct competitor to Paramount+ with Showtime).

As for Showtime Originals, there are a lot of good ones over the years that I've really enjoyed. Right now I'm watching Yellowjackets and I Love That For You. Back to Life is a great British import that's still running there. In the past I watched the entirety of Homeland, Ray Donovan, The Affair, Episodes, Kidding, I'm Dying Up Here, and SMILF. (Be aware that some of those completed series are now available on other services, such as Peacock or Hulu.) Also recommend mini-series Escape at Dannemora, Patrick Melrose, The Loudest Voice, and The Comey Rule, and limited docuseries We Need to Talk About Cosby, Buried, The Reagans, Time of Death, and The Fourth Estate.

For my taste, I don't see a lot on Paramount+ Originals that look great, given that I'm not into Star Trek. Don't care about Halo either. Although I do think I'm going to give Evil a look. That one gets good reviews and has an intriguing premise.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,412 Posts
Not sure where you're getting "price goes up to $18 or more".
That comes from Paramount+ going for $9.99 and Showtime going for $10.99 by themselves. I can't see them combining the two packages for just a dollar or two more than one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts