DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
That comes from Paramount+ going for $9.99 and Showtime going for $10.99 by themselves. I can't see them combining the two packages for just a dollar or two more than one.
Don't take my word for it then. Read it right on their own website:

As I say, they're combining and pricing these two services to be their answer to HBO Max, which sells for $10/mo with ads in the non-HBO content (i.e. the stuff that is analogous to Paramount+) or for $15/mo for the entire thing ad-free. Either way, the prestige HBO library (i.e. the stuff that is analogous to Showtime) is always ad-free.

The next step I think they're going to do is, just as HBO got rid of their old HBO Go and HBO Now apps and replaced them with HBO Max, Showtime is going to get rid of their Showtime Anytime and Showtime apps and replace them with Paramount+ with Showtime inside that single app. Subscribe to Showtime via cable TV and you'll get Paramount+ with it. It will become impossible to subscribe to Showtime without also subscribing to Paramount+, just as it's now impossible to subscribe to HBO without also subscribing to HBO Max.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Right now I am on a yearly subscription for P+ for $99 and I get Showtimee with the DIRECT Premier package. That have added a Showime hub inside of the P+ app but I can't watch Showtime from it. It wants me to change my P+ subscription to add Showtime which would mean I would be paying for Showtime twice. No thanks on that. The only place I can stream Showtime is through the Showtime Anytime app. What will happen if they get rid of the Showtime Anytime app to people like me?

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think I will run into the same thing when they combine HBO Max and Discovery+. I get HBO Max with my DirecTV Premier package and I get the ad-free Discovery+ from Discovery. What happens when they combine the two into one app?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Right now I am on a yearly subscription for P+ for $99 and I get Showtimee with the DIRECT Premier package. That have added a Showime hub inside of the P+ app but I can't watch Showtime from it. It wants me to change my P+ subscription to add Showtime which would mean I would be paying for Showtime twice. No thanks on that. The only place I can stream Showtime is through the Showtime Anytime app. What will happen if they get rid of the Showtime Anytime app to people like me?
What I imagine will happen -- if the Showtime Anytime app goes away -- is that you would keep paying for Showtime through DIRECTV and still get all its content there. And you will also be able to use your DIRECTV user name and password to authenticate your Showtime subscription inside the Paramount+ app. Doing so would give you access to both the Essential (with ads) tier of Paramount+ as well as the Showtime add-on inside the Paramount+ app for free (i.e. for no additional cost beyond what you're already paying DIRECTV). It might also offer you the option to upgrade from the Essential to Premium (ad-free) tier of Paramount+ by paying a few extra bucks per month. (My guess is that would be on your DIRECTV bill, but who knows.)

For any of this to happen, though, Paramount is going to have to go to each of their Showtime distributors -- DIRECTV, Comcast, Charter, Cox, Verizon, DISH, Altice, YouTube TV, Hulu, etc. -- and amend their current contract. Paramount has reportedly already been in talks with one major distributor -- my guess is Comcast -- about this.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I think I will run into the same thing when they combine HBO Max and Discovery+. I get HBO Max with my DirecTV Premier package and I get the ad-free Discovery+ from Discovery. What happens when they combine the two into one app?
Most likely, you'll just be able to stop paying for Discovery+ and you'll get the forthcoming combined HBO/Discovery app at no extra cost beyond what you're paying to DIRECTV for HBO as part of your Premier package. (In other words, the same way it works now for HBO Max.)

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What I imagine will happen -- if the Showtime Anytime app goes away -- is that you would keep paying for Showtime through DIRECTV and still get all its content there. And you will also be able to use your DIRECTV user name and password to authenticate your Showtime subscription inside the Paramount+ app. Doing so would give you access to both the Essential (with ads) tier of Paramount+ as well as the Showtime add-on inside the Paramount+ app for free (i.e. for no additional cost beyond what you're already paying DIRECTV). It might also offer you the option to upgrade from the Essential to Premium (ad-free) tier of Paramount+ by paying a few extra bucks per month. (My guess is that would be on your DIRECTV bill, but who knows.)

For any of this to happen, though, Paramount is going to have to go to each of their Showtime distributors -- DIRECTV, Comcast, Charter, Cox, Verizon, DISH, Altice, YouTube TV, Hulu, etc. -- and amend their current contract. Paramount has reportedly already been in talks with one major distributor -- my guess is Comcast -- about this.
Like I said I already pay for P+ Premium (ad-free) through Paramount so you are saying I would have to have two accounts for P+. One using my DirecTV credentials to see Showtime and ad-supported P+ and my current P+ account to watch P+ Premium (ad-free). That makes very little sense. There would have to some way I wouldn't have to login two different ways to watch what I want.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Most likely, you'll just be able to stop paying for Discovery+ and you'll get the forthcoming combined HBO/Discovery app at no extra cost beyond what you're paying to DIRECTV for HBO as part of your Premier package. (In other words, the same way it works now for HBO Max.)
Yeah they aren't going to give me both HBO Max and Discovery+ for the price of HBO Max right now. The head of WBD+ has already said both services are underpriced at the present time. Right now both ad-free services run $14.99+$6.99=$21.98. You know there is going to be a price increase either before or when they combine the services. My guess on the low end is $24.99 for both. On the high end $29.99.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Like I said I already pay for P+ Premium (ad-free) through Paramount so you are saying I would have to have two accounts for P+. One using my DirecTV credentials to see Showtime and ad-supported P+ and my current P+ account to watch P+ Premium (ad-free). That makes very little sense. There would have to some way I wouldn't have to login two different ways to watch what I want.
No. Go back and carefully read what I wrote, please. I'm saying that I think you'll be able to drop your current P+ subscription if you keep your Showtime subscription, because Showtime will eventually include P+ at no additional cost. (Although I imagine that DTV will charge $12/mo for Showtime instead of just $11/mo, and the cost of your Premier package would also go up $1 too to cover that increase.) And if you want the ad-free premium tier of P+, you might have to pay an extra $3/mo for that. So you'd probably save around $6/mo versus what you're paying now.

Now that Paramount is directly selling folks the combo of P+ (Essential) with Showtime together for just $11.99/mo, that's going to lure away some of the folks like you who pay for Showtime through their pay TV service. Comcast already charges $12/mo for just Showtime. Why pay them $12 for it when you could go directly through Paramount and get both P+ and Showtime together for the same price? I'm sure Comcast is aware of this fact and so they're talking to Paramount and asking why they can't offer their customers the same deal.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yeah they aren't going to give me both HBO Max and Discovery+ for the price of HBO Max right now. The head of WBD+ has already said both services are underpriced at the present time. Right now both ad-free services run $14.99+$6.99=$21.98. You know there is going to be a price increase either before or when they combine the services. My guess on the low end is $24.99 for both. On the high end $29.99.
Yeah, I think they will sell it pretty close to the price of HBO Max now. Or for slightly more. I could see the price of HBO via cable as well as the ad-free version of the upcoming "HBO Discovery" (or whatever they call it) costing $15.99/mo, maybe $16.99. I don't think they'll be able to charge more than that. But it's not like that service is going to include everything that's currently available in both HBO Max and Discovery+. A good bit of the non-HBO, non-Discovery content is going to get pulled out, I think. Lots of kids stuff, lots of foreign stuff, most of the licensed (non-WBD-owned) content is going away. That will reduce their costs and let them license some stuff out to other services and/or offer it through their upcoming free ad-supported service. So it's a mistake to think of what's coming as a combination of the two current services. It'll basically be swapping out some of the current content in HBO Max for a bunch of reruns from the Discovery cable nets (plus those Discovery+ Originals).

If they tried to sell HBO Discovery for $24.99 (or even more!) per month, they'll get laughed off the internet and their subscriptions will plummet. Keep in mind that the majority of folks in the US with HBO Max get it at no extra cost with their HBO cable subscription. They're not going to jack those folks' price for HBO up from $15 to $25/mo (which would require a whole round of contract revisions with cable TV operators). That kind of price hike would destroy the HBO customer base. Nor do I see them making the HBO Discovery app something that costs them extra on top of what they pay for HBO.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah, I think they will sell it pretty close to the price of HBO Max now. Or for slightly more. I could see the price of HBO via cable as well as the ad-free version of the upcoming "HBO Discovery" (or whatever they call it) costing $15.99/mo, maybe $16.99. I don't think they'll be able to charge more than that. But it's not like that service is going to include everything that's currently available in both HBO Max and Discovery+. A good bit of the non-HBO, non-Discovery content is going to get pulled out, I think. Lots of kids stuff, lots of foreign stuff, most of the licensed (non-WBD-owned) content is going away. That will reduce their costs and let them license some stuff out to other services and/or offer it through their upcoming free ad-supported service. So it's a mistake to think of what's coming as a combination of the two current services. It'll basically be swapping out some of the current content in HBO Max for a bunch of reruns from the Discovery cable nets (plus those Discovery+ Originals).

If they tried to sell HBO Discovery for $24.99 (or even more!) per month, they'll get laughed off the internet and their subscriptions will plummet. Keep in mind that the majority of folks in the US with HBO Max get it at no extra cost with their HBO cable subscription. They're not going to jack those folks' price for HBO up from $15 to $25/mo (which would require a whole round of contract revisions with cable TV operators). That kind of price hike would destroy the HBO customer base. Nor do I see them making the HBO Discovery app something that costs them extra on top of what they pay for HBO.
Well I hope you are right but they are saying right now their prices are underpriced for both. I can't see them combining the services and lowering the prices lower than they are now.

·
Super Moderator
53,871 Posts
Reduce the content to match the price or raise the price to match the content one method will work.

Getting to a price point around $15-$16 at the most would be good.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Reduce the content to match the price is more risky as people would be more apt to cancel their service than they would with a price increase with better content.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Reduce the content to match the price is more risky as people would be more apt to cancel their service than they would with a price increase with better content.
Eh, as a consumer who loves HBO, I'm not too worried about it one way or the other. I'll still subscribe at least some months out of the year for HBO Originals and the odd movie here or there, whatever else they do or don't package in with it. And beyond that, whatever the combined service looks like or is called next year, I really don't think it's going to be the final home of HBO because I don't think WBD is going to last all that long. What a sad ride Warner/HBO has been on. First AT&T of all companies bought them, then a couple years later they spun them off to Discovery and I think in 2-3 years, it'll be owned by some other company, probably Universal.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts