DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
I would read Nash's statement as purchasing Showtime with their cable/pay TV subscription, not as a required part of their package.
That's the opposite of the HBO model as I understand it. If you want HBO Max, you have to subscribe to HBO Max through HBO and then HBO will authenticate you for HBO through your MVPD. Maybe that's just DISH.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
That's the opposite of the HBO model as I understand it. If you want HBO Max, you have to subscribe to HBO Max through HBO and then HBO will authenticate you for HBO through your MVPD. Maybe that's just DISH.
My DirecTV Premier package gives me HBO. I get the full HBO Max with it. I did not have to do whatever you are saying.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
My HBO subscription via DISH gives me full access to HBO Max. :)

The OnDemand content on the receiver is a subset of HBO's full library but my credentials give me the same access as a HBO Max online subscriber.

· Registered
2,333 Posts
James gets what I'm saying.

OK, right now, if you get Showtime via your pay TV provider, whether Showtime is part of your top-tier main package or if it's an a la carte add-on for an extra $12 or so per month, you get access to the Showtime Anytime streaming app at no additional cost. It lets you stream the live Showtime channel (east and west) plus the full current Showtime library on-demand on the device of your choice.

All I'm saying is that I believe they're going to kill the Showtime Anytime app and instead say, "Hey, your Showtime subscription now also comes with the Paramount+ Essential plan at no additional cost! You can use that app to both stream all of Showtime as well as thousands of hours of additional content in Paramount+."

Do you not understand how that's exactly the same thing that HBO did when they replaced the old HBO Go app (which was analogous to the Showtime Anytime app) with the current HBO Max app, which contains both the full HBO library plus a lot of additional stuff?

Now, for cord-cutters (as I define it, those who don't subscribe to any form of "cable TV"), right now you can get Showtime as a standalone streaming service via the Showtime app, in the same way you used to be able to get HBO as a standalone streaming service via the HBO Now app. But HBO killed the HBO Now app and replaced it with the expanded HBO Max app. Why have two different apps, one for cable subs and one for cord-cutters? I think it'll be the same deal with Showtime. They'll kill the standalone Showtime app and say, "OK, cord-cutters, if you want Showtime, you'll now need to get it as part of Paramount+," in the same way that cord-cutters who want HBO now get it as part of HBO Max.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
That's the opposite of the HBO model as I understand it.
You apparently do not understand that a satellite subscription to HBO (DISH or DirecTV) includes HBO Max. Other MVPD subscriptions also include HBO Max. Subscription purchased through the MVPD ... Not signing up directly with HBO Max and somehow getting your linear provider to honor that DTC subscription and open up the channels.

Do you subscribe to HBO via DISH or another MVPD? If so, are you not getting HBO Max?

· Registered
2,333 Posts
Not all MVPDs provide for authentication.
It took a few months back in 2020 when HBO Max launched (because HBO had to renegotiate their distribution contracts with the various MVPDs), but I'm pretty sure all MVPDs that sell HBO now do authenticate for access to HBO Max. IDK, it's possible that there's some little local MVPD out there somewhere that doesn't, but not any with a significant number of customers.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Not all MVPDs provide for authentication.
I did not say ALL. I was just correcting (again) your false statements.

· Registered
2,333 Posts
Paramount CEO Bakish is saying that a price increase for the premium ad-free tier of Paramount+ is coming. Also sounds increasingly like Showtime will cease to exist as a standalone service and instead only come with Paramount+. (As I've said before, I think that will mean that Showtime cable subscribers will automatically get the basic tier of Paramount+ as part of their subscription. They'll use that app to stream Showtime, with the Showtime Anytime and standalone Showtime apps killed off.)

Right now, these are the options they sell:
  1. Paramount+ (Basic): $4.99
  2. Paramount+ (Premium): $9.99
  3. Showtime: $10.99
  4. Paramount+ (Basic with Showtime): $11.99
  5. Paramount+ (Premium with Showtime): $14.99
I wonder if we might see them eliminate the second and third options above priced at $9.99 and $10.99. That way, if you want Showtime, you'd have to also take Paramount+. And if you want the Premium ad-free tier of Paramount+, you'd also have to take Showtime. Less optionality, more bundling, higher ARPU.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I get Showtime as part of my DirecTV Premier package so if they shutdown Showtime what happens with Showtime through DirecTV? I already subscribe to Paramount+ Ad-free on my own.

In August, Paramount folded Showtime programming into the main Paramount+ app, so that if a user is subscribed to both services they can access all of their programming through a single user interface. The stand-alone Showtime app is also still available, but reports have circulated that Paramount has been considering shutting the stand-alone service and shifting its programming to Paramount+.
I noticed that my Paramount+ Ad-free service (without Showtime subscription through Paramount+) already has Showtime content in it. How am I getting that content without a separate Showtime subscription? From the above quote it states "if a user is subscribed to both services they can access all of their programming through a single user interface" (Paramount+). But my Showtime subscription on Showtime Anytime uses my DirecTV credentials and my Paramount+ subscription uses it's own login so how am I seeing Showtime content on Paramount+?

26,462 Posts
I get Showtime as part of my DirecTV Premier package so if they shutdown Showtime what happens with Showtime through DirecTV? I already subscribe to Paramount+ Ad-free on my own.
This is an increasingly popular question that HBO arguably didn't set a particularly good example for.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
This is an increasingly popular question that HBO arguably didn't set a particularly good example for.
HBO created HBO Max which includes HBO and other content and is available as a stand alone streaming package or as an add on to many MVPD subscriptions. My DISH Network subscription to HBO includes all HBO Max content. What is wrong with that?

If Showtime is rolled in to Paramount+ and Showtime MVPD subscriptions include the entire Paramount+ library instead of just Showtime content that would be a good thing.

26,462 Posts
I still get both HBO and Cinemax with DirecTV so what are you talking about?
My point is that most streaming services that started life as linear products seem to end up as some sort of amalgam of additional streaming products and how they structure that pricing is going to need to be very carefully considered. If you have access to streaming HBO Max, what's the point of also having HBO Max and Cinemax?

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
If you have access to streaming HBO Max, what's the point of also having HBO Max and Cinemax?
The cost is the same to have HBO via my MVPD. I get linear channels that I can record on Internet free storage (no restreaming needed) delivered through a familiar interface. While ALL of HBO Max's content is available via streaming much of the streamable content is available OnDemand through the familiar interface of my receiver. It is TV the way I want to watch it.

Back to the topic of this thread, I hope that Showtime being rolled into Paramount+ INCREASES the amount of content subscribers to Showtime on their MVPD receive. Even if I have to step away from my receiver to get all of the content. That would be the best case scenario.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
My point is that most streaming services that started life as linear products seem to end up as some sort of amalgam of additional streaming products and how they structure that pricing is going to need to be very carefully considered. If you have access to streaming HBO Max, what's the point of also having HBO Max and Cinemax?
I think we have been through this before and I guess you still don’t understand how it works. I have HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, and the Encore movie channels that are included with my DirecTV Premier package that gives me the linear channels and OnDemand content and also gives me access to the streaming services for HBO Max, Showtime Anytime, and Starz. Not sure if Cinemax or Encore has any kind of Streaming app. There is no separate need to subscribe to these streaming services because you watch the streaming content by using your DirecTV login.

If you want to watch something fro HBO you can only watch it on the linear channel 1) if it is on the linear channel and 2) if it is on the linear channel you have to watch/record it at the specific time it is on. Using the streaming service you can watch it whenever you please. Cinemax is pretty useless these days but there are things are there that you can only get through Cinemax.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts