DBSTalk Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
It is TV the way I want to watch it.
Are you not cutting off your nose to spite your face in passing over the Cinemax content that you're paying for because of the interface differences?

For myself, I have very little desire to watch Showtime content (much less pay extra for it) so I'm generally opposed to having Showtime rolled into Paramount+ as the only option.

26,462 Posts
I think we have been through this before and I guess you still don’t understand how it works.
I understand how it works. I just don't understand the drive to pay for something twice because the streaming user experience is not exactly the same.

· Registered
2,333 Posts
I noticed that my Paramount+ Ad-free service (without Showtime subscription through Paramount+) already has Showtime content in it. How am I getting that content without a separate Showtime subscription? From the above quote it states "if a user is subscribed to both services they can access all of their programming through a single user interface" (Paramount+). But my Showtime subscription on Showtime Anytime uses my DirecTV credentials and my Paramount+ subscription uses it's own login so how am I seeing Showtime content on Paramount+?
As I understand it, you should not be seeing Showtime inside of Paramount+ since you don't pay for Showtime as part of your P+ subscription but rather pay for it separately via DirecTV. Are you sure you're not just seeing a few sample Showtime episodes inside P+? If you really are getting the full thing there, you might want to double-check what you're paying for P+ to make sure that you're not paying for Showtime twice.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I understand how it works. I just don't understand the drive to pay for something twice because the streaming user experience is not exactly the same.
Then you do not understand how it works. No one is paying for anything twice. The HBO Max streaming is included with the HBO package from DIRECTV.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
As I understand it, you should not be seeing Showtime inside of Paramount+ since you don't pay for Showtime as part of your P+ subscription but rather pay for it separately via DirecTV. Are you sure you're not just seeing a few sample Showtime episodes inside P+? If you really are getting the full thing there, you might want to double-check what you're paying for P+ to make sure that you're not paying for Showtime twice.
I agree I should not be getting the Showtime content in Paramount. I pay the yearly fee for Paramount+ which is $99. Here is what I see in Paramount+. I can watch everything on there that I can watch in the Showtime Anytime app except the linear channels.

Television program Flat panel display Television set Font Computer

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Are you not cutting off your nose to spite your face in passing over the Cinemax content that you're paying for because of the interface differences?
Why would I pay for Cinemax when I get all of HBO Max with my MVPD subscription? Pray tell what "content" am I missing?

For myself, I have very little desire to watch Showtime content (much less pay extra for it) so I'm generally opposed to having Showtime rolled into Paramount+ as the only option.
Are you worried about a price bump where you are forced to pay extra for Showtime to get Paramount+?

26,462 Posts
No one is paying for anything twice.
Perhaps I'm overestimating the overlap. What content does the Cinemax element of your subscription bring that you couldn't already see with just an HBO Max subscription?

26,462 Posts
Why would I pay for Cinemax when I get all of HBO Max with my MVPD subscription? Pray tell what "content" am I missing?
b4pjoe indicates there's a clear benefit to those who subscribe to both (that Cinemax at $10.00 isn't substantially covered by HBO Max at $14.99).

The bundle discount for choosing PREMIERE over ULTIMATE with add-ons (HBO, Showtime, Starz, 3 Music Choice channels, Outdoor and the DIRECTV SPORTS PACK) appears to be just barely a bargain (depending on what value you place on the Outdoor Channel).

ULTIMATE current price (All Included): $154
HBO, SHO, STARZ: $37.97
Outdoor: $4.99
DIRECTV SPORTS PACK: $13.99

Total (absent MC channels and maybe a couple other TV channels): $209.95

Premiere: $205

Savings: $4.95

Opting out of the Outdoor Channel and Cinemax could make Ultimate the better deal if there wasn't going to be something missed.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Perhaps I'm overestimating the overlap. What content does the Cinemax element of your subscription bring that you couldn't already see with just an HBO Max subscription?
b4pjoe indicates there's a clear benefit to those who subscribe to both (that Cinemax at $10.00 isn't substantially covered by HBO Max at $14.99).
I never said there was any benefit. Cinemax is included in the Premier package. I rarely watch it. I subscribe to the Premier package mainly because it includes HBO, Showtime, and Starz and when I decided I wanted those premium channels it was cheaper to subscribe to the Premier package than keeping the package I had at the time and subscribing individually to those 3 packages. It just so happens that Cinemax is included also in that package and I used to watch it more when it had original content on it which it no longer does or at least very little. As I said I rarely watch Cinemax these days.

The bundle discount for choosing PREMIERE over ULTIMATE with add-ons (HBO, Showtime, Starz, 3 Music Choice channels, Outdoor and the DIRECTV SPORTS PACK) appears to be just barely a bargain (depending on what value you place on the Outdoor Channel).

ULTIMATE current price (All Included): $154
HBO, SHO, STARZ: $37.97
Outdoor: $4.99
DIRECTV SPORTS PACK: $13.99

Total (absent MC channels and maybe a couple other TV channels): $209.95

Premiere: $205

Savings: $4.95

Opting out of the Outdoor Channel and Cinemax could make Ultimate the better deal if there wasn't going to be something missed.
For Premier I pay $191.99. Not $205. I have not checked lately how much I am saving currently but it was significantly more than your estimate. When HBO/Discovery+ merges into one service I will more than likely downgrade my package at that time.

26,462 Posts
For Premier I pay $191.99. Not $205. I have not checked lately how much I am saving currently but it was significantly more than your estimate. When HBO/Discovery+ merges into one service I will more than likely downgrade my package at that time.
As I noted on the ULTIMATE pricing amount, I was using the current "All Included" pricing. Presumably, the pricing structure associated with your account (which may or may not have changed recently due to your account issues) offers the same pricing differential (around $51) between ULTIMATE and PREMIERE.

James insists that paying for Cinemax if you already have HBO Max is effectively double paying but you claim that it isn't. Who is right?

It may help to consider the question in the context of a subscriber that isn't bundling with the DIRECTV PREMIERE or DISH America's Everything Pack packages given that is likely where most subscribers reside.

26,462 Posts
Are you worried about a price bump where you are forced to pay extra for Showtime to get Paramount+?
For myself, that may represent roughly a 50% price increase so I am quite concerned given my value assessment of what Showtime adds.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
As I noted on the ULTIMATE pricing amount, I was using the current "All Included" pricing. Presumably, the pricing structure associated with your account (which may or may not have changed recently due to your account issues) offers the same pricing differential (around $51) between ULTIMATE and PREMIERE.

James insists that paying for Cinemax if you already have HBO Max is effectively double paying but you claim that it isn't. Who is right?

It may help to consider the question in the context of a subscriber that isn't bundling with the DIRECTV PREMIERE or DISH America's Everything Pack packages given that is likely where most subscribers reside.
If I were paying for the Premium channels individually I would not get Cinemax. When I subscribed to the Premier package Cinemax it was still its own thing. I can't just tell DirecTV to remove Cinemax from the package and lower my price. Like I said in the near future I will be re-evaluating.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
For myself, that may represent roughly a 50% price increase so I am quite concerned given my value assessment of what Showtime adds.
Paramout+ Essential
Stream with limited commercial interruptions for $4.99/month or save 16% off your monthly price with an annual plan* for $49.99/year.

Paramout+ Premium (formerly Commercial Free - all the benefits remain the same!)
Watch with no ads for just $9.99/month or save 16% off your monthly price with an annual plan* for $99.99/year (the Premium plan DOES include your local live CBS station).

Paramount+ Essential plan + SHOWTIME*
  • $11.99*/month
  • $119.99*/year
The Essential plan does NOT include your local live CBS station, but NFL on CBS and UEFA Champions League will be available via separate live feeds.

Paramount+ Premium plan + SHOWTIME*
  • $14.99*/month
  • $149.99*/year

26,462 Posts
I find no fault with your math and you should find no fault with mine. $14.99/month (I wouldn't contemplate an annual subscription to Paramount+ unless it were 50% off like the deal I just grabbed) is roughly 50% more than $9.99. That Showtime comes for only $5 more just isn't good enough for me.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Harsh is intentionally lying about the content of my posts and should no longer be trusted to post anything taken seriously.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Harsh is intentionally lying about the content of my posts and should no longer be trusted to post anything taken seriously.
He quoted your post #66 where you never said any such thing. In post #62 he posted:
In typical Harsh fashion when someone proves him wrong he tries to transfer the blame on to others.

26,462 Posts
How did you not imply that if you have HBO Max, a Cinemax subscription is paying for content you were already entitled to?

I if misinterpreted what you said, show me the error of my ways rather than proclaiming to all that I'm a liar.

· Registered
2,333 Posts
I agree I should not be getting the Showtime content in Paramount. I pay the yearly fee for Paramount+ which is $99. Here is what I see in Paramount+. I can watch everything on there that I can watch in the Showtime Anytime app except the linear channels.

View attachment 32695
Yeah, definitely appears that you're subscribed to P+ with Showtime, even if you're not paying for it. Guess it's a mistake on their part.

If you look in the Live TV section, I'll bet you'll find the east and west live feeds of the main Showtime channel.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Nope they are not in the Live TV section but they are in the Showtime section. One for Showtime East (LIVE) and Showtime West (LIVE). Had to scroll down further to find it. So I am getting the East and west linear feeds.

UPDATE: Yesterday it would let me watch the Showtime content. Today I can still see the Showtime content but if I try to watch it a screen pops up telling me how to upgrade my plan. Maybe they had a preview going on or some kind of glitch. Not sure but I now cannot watch Showtime on the Paramount+ app so it is working correctly now.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
How did you not imply that if you have HBO Max, a Cinemax subscription is paying for content you were already entitled to?

I if misinterpreted what you said, show me the error of my ways rather than proclaiming to all that I'm a liar.
You are a liar because you claimed that I "insisted" that people were paying twice for the same content when I never even stated that people were paying twice (or double). Now you're back pedaling to "imply" but the reality is you post lies.

People can read my posts - there is no reason for you to lie about their content. There is no need for you to interpret anyone else's posts on this forum for other readers either (such as telling us what b4pjoe said). If people are unclear about other poster's writing they can ask the person who posted without your interference and false statements.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts