DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Icon
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know P+ is an app but I randomly was searching "star trek" in the guide (on my stb) and noticed Picard showed up in the search.

There was not too much info but it mentioned feb as the premier and for channel listed "PARMPL"

Is this going to be like an on-demand channel available through D*?

Will D* be offering discounts on P+ similar to peacock?

What other reason would ST: Picard show up in the search

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
What other reason would ST: Picard show up in the search
DIRECTV probably wants to be where all of your pay TV money is channeled through so they are going to dive deeper into offering streaming services to their customers much like what YouTube is doing with their "Primetime Channels".

With respect to Peacock, there's an Engineering slate on channel 9579 (PEAC, 99W) with a market of "offer" that is described as "Peacock is here!". There's also a similar slate (9360, GEMINI, 101W) for the Gemini upgrade. Here's the NOTE fields from the transponder list (bolding is mine):

Peacock Is Here​
Peacock's got all your favorites, all in one place With Peacock, stream current hits, blockbuster movies, bingeworthy TV shows, and exclusive Originals - plus news, sports, WWE, and more​

I find it particularly puzzling that the Gemini (available to Genie 2 households only) slate is on 101W and the Peacock slate is on Ka band where it isn't universally available.

According to an article in Variety, only the ad-supported version will be discounted.
I'm guessing that a Paramount+ offer would be much the same (with or without a discount).

· Icon
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would it be possible to get apps on genie 2 , even if we don't have gemini ?

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Probably not. There are several streaming addons you can purchase on the DIRECTV website like AMC+, MGM+ (Previously EPIX), Discovery+, Peacock but Paramount+ is not one of them.

26,462 Posts
Would it be possible to get apps on genie 2 , even if we don't have gemini ?
The fact that the Gemini exists and is being tested on the Genie 2 would seem to suggest that it isn't in the cards.

26,462 Posts
this is correct. The GUI resides on the clients. Not on the Genie 2. None of the interface comes from the Genie 2
This is not correct.
RVU Project said:
RUI allows a single server in the home to provide the same consistent User Interface and feature set to multiple RVU enabled devices.
The RUI is provided by the Genie 2 (the server) and the Genie Minis (the clients) are responsible for rendering it as provided.

26,462 Posts
I always thought that the HS-17 is like a home cloud DVR with no GUI on it. Then the Mini's link to the cloud DVR.
You've learned something decidedly different from what you thought you knew today.

I suspect your impression may have a lot to do with some misconceptions of what part the device apps play in the cloud DVR experience. Assuming that there's a 1:1 relationship between cloud DVRs and Whole Home DVRs is also fairly dangerous (although it probably isn't all that different).

The underpinnings of RVU and its associated RUI are documented well enough (though not like it used to be) to clear up your misunderstanding. Here's the RVU Alliance basic description of how RVU works:

Just because the Genie 2 isn't able to render the RUI in the conventional STB sense, the RUI is still generated on the Genie 2.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts