DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
back in the TiVo day's, I could pause a live show, and for say about 10 min, and watch anohter tuner. then go back and it was STILL paused? i have the ViP622 in single mode, and no matter what I do, when I pause ch7 , and then swap tuners to 100 (just examples), when I switch back to Ch7 its playing live.

ideas?

e..b

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I was just testing this out myself.... and you are correct (as you already knew)... however, all is not lost!

If I have tuner 1 on 9424, then press "Swap" and tuner 2 I tune to 9420... I can then "Swap" back and forth as much as I want using the "Swap" button, and each tuner is being buffered (up to the hour limit).

I was just testing this out... and my tuner 2 had a full buffer of the last hour since it had not been changed since the last time a timer had fired... Until trying this I did not know both tuners were buffering independently of each other. I thought only the active channel was buffering.

But what this means is you can switch between two channels using the "Swap" button and each channel will be buffering. You are correct that you cannot pause Tuner 1, then switch to Tuner 2, then switch back and have it still be paused... but you can still backup or fast-reverse to the part where you had stopped watching and not miss anything.

·
Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HDMe said:
I was just testing this out myself.... and you are correct (as you already knew)... however, all is not lost!

If I have tuner 1 on 9424, then press "Swap" and tuner 2 I tune to 9420... I can then "Swap" back and forth as much as I want using the "Swap" button, and each tuner is being buffered (up to the hour limit).

I was just testing this out... and my tuner 2 had a full buffer of the last hour since it had not been changed since the last time a timer had fired... Until trying this I did not know both tuners were buffering independently of each other. I thought only the active channel was buffering.

But what this means is you can switch between two channels using the "Swap" button and each channel will be buffering. You are correct that you cannot pause Tuner 1, then switch to Tuner 2, then switch back and have it still be paused... but you can still backup or fast-reverse to the part where you had stopped watching and not miss anything.
yea.. true.. but think about it.. am i really suppoed to know at what point I swapped.. maby in the next FW upgrade?.. lets X fingers

e..b

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
eatonjb said:
back in the TiVo day's, I could pause a live show, and for say about 10 min, and watch anohter tuner. then go back and it was STILL paused? i have the ViP622 in single mode, and no matter what I do, when I pause ch7 , and then swap tuners to 100 (just examples), when I switch back to Ch7 its playing live.

ideas?

e..b
I don't remember the exact details, but I believe this is one of the changes announced for the "next release".

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I didn't try it with PIP... and yeah, this would be something nice to fix so you don't have to try and remember where you were when you switched channels... but in the meantime, at least you can still backup. It would be much worse if it didn't keep buffering.

Maybe this will be part of the December fixes rumored to be coming...

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
I have not seen this enhancement mentioned as being included in the next release through any official channels... Oh.. What was mentioned was PIP side by side being added... As someone mentioned the pause with the pip window up does accomplish this but at this point sticky pause without having PIP up is not supported.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
tnsprin said:
I don't remember the exact details, but I believe this is one of the changes announced for the "next release".
On the November Tech Chat, about 25 minutes in where Dan describes the side by side PIP he ended with:

In the past, when you would close down the PIP window, we would lose where you were in that stream if you were delayed. So, if for instance you would pause, and you were 10 minutes behind live television and you dropped the PIP window, it would take you back to live TV which was kind of annoying. You have to go back and try to find where you were. With this new feature, we've added the capability that we keep track of how far you were delayed from live TV. So now when you close the PIP window, if you were 10 minutes delayed, you will still be 10 minutes delayed when you bring the PIP back up.

Hopefully, if you've been away for 5 minutes and were delayed 10 minutes, you won't really still be 10 minutes behind live but 15 so you are at the same point as where you left. Dan said that is supposed to be around 1Dec on a 622 so it won't be long before people find out.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Ah.. I missed that piece of it....... Sounds like that will work sort of like auto pause. If this does happen that will be really cool and for me the only feature left for PIP would be to move the windows farther out on 16x9 TV when piping 4x3 content.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.