DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I like to use the 'Prev' button trick to flip back and forth between watching live TV and a show I'v recorded. The only problem with that approach is that even if I Pause Live TV before hitting 'Prev', when I come back to Live TV the show is all the way caught up to real time.

Has anyone figured out a way to actually pause live TV and have it remain paused while you watch something from your list?

Thanks!

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
jschuman said:
Hi all,

I like to use the 'Prev' button trick to flip back and forth between watching live TV and a show I'v recorded. The only problem with that approach is that even if I Pause Live TV before hitting 'Prev', when I come back to Live TV the show is all the way caught up to real time.

Has anyone figured out a way to actually pause live TV and have it remain paused while you watch something from your list?

Thanks!
Welcome to no dual buffers in the HR20 like was in the HR10-250. The plus is the single buffer is 90 minutes long so if you hit record to live TV it will go back 90 minutes versus the 30 on HR10-250.....the bad news....you guessed it....no flipping back and forth...and keep the pause. There is tons of discussion/complaints on this and some like the 90 minutes....personally I don't...rather have the dual buffers. I don't think this is a firmware updatable fix either....I think it was an architecture decision that D* can't go back on.

Earl ?

· Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thekochs said:
Welcome to no dual buffers in the HR20 like was in the HR10-250. The plus is the single buffer is 90 minutes long so if you hit record to live TV it will go back 90 minutes versus the 30 on HR10-250.....the bad news....you guessed it....no flipping back and forth...and keep the pause. There is tons of discussion/complaints on this and some like the 90 minutes....personally I don't...rather have the dual buffers. I don't think this is a firmware updatable fix either....I think it was an architecture decision that D* can't go back on.

Earl ?
I, too, would really like to get dual buffers back. However, using the previous button to go between a recording and live TV works pretty well. If it would just maintain my position in the program I'm watching live than I would be somewhat satisfied.

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
jschuman said:
I, too, would really like to get dual buffers back. However, using the previous button to go between a recording and live TV works pretty well. If it would just maintain my position in the program I'm watching live than I would be somewhat satisfied.
Remember....dual tuners and dual buffers are mutually exclusive items. Dual tuners gives you the two independent MPEG decoders to apply to watching or recording a channel(s) independently. Dual buffers....well as it implies "buffers" the MPEG stream. With only one buffer (be it longer) only "buffers" one stream. When you flip/previous the box you are toggling to other tuner and the "buffer" goes with it. I'm sure this is clear as mud.

As I said, only one vote here....would rather have two shorter dual buffers than longer single one. :nono2:

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
thekochs said:
Remember....dual tuners and dual buffers are mutually exclusive items.
That's not correct. My five-year old DTivos have dual tuners and dual buffers. Perhaps what you meant to say is that in the HR20, dual tuners are distinct from the issue of dual buffers - the HR20 has dual tuners but only one 90 minute buffer.

· DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,010 Posts
LameLefty said:
That's not correct. My five-year old DTivos have dual tuners and dual buffers. Perhaps what you meant to say is that in the HR20, dual tuners are distinct from the issue of dual buffers - the HR20 has dual tuners but only one 90 minute buffer.
That's what I mean.........TIVO, HR10-250, etc. are dual buffers. The HR20 is a single buffer box.....dual tuner. What I meant by "mutually exclusive" is how they work in the box.....just because you have dual tuners does not mean you have dual buffers. People tend to lump one with the other.

· Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thekochs said:
That's what I mean.........TIVO, HR10-250, etc. are dual buffers. The HR20 is a single buffer box.....dual tuner. What I meant by "mutually exclusive" is how they work in the box.....just because you have dual tuners does not mean you have dual buffers. People tend to lump one with the other.
This issue has nothing to do with dual buffers. You don't "lose the buffer" when you go to watch a recorded show. My live buffer is still there - i.e., I can rewind back to 90 minutes or when I last switched to the current channel. The only problem is that the HR20 seems incapable of remembering WHERE in the live buffer I was when I switched to the recorded show - even if I pause it before going to the recorded show.

I've had DirecTiVos for 5 years and have now had the HR20 for a few weeks (after reading a lot about them). I know all about dual tuners vs. dual buffers etc. I don't really see how dual tuners/buffers has anything to do with the issue I'm describing.

· Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thekochs said:
When you flip/previous the box you are toggling to other tuner and the "buffer" goes with it. I'm sure this is clear as mud.
That's not true when you flip/previous between live TV and a recorded show. You do not lose your buffer in the live tv show.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.