DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend received this email today form Directv:

Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer. We appreciate your business and would like to provide an important update regarding your DIRECTV® programming.

Effective February 9, 2012, Sprout on Channel 295 will move to the CHOICE ULTIMATE™ package. This channel move is part of an effort to control rising programming costs while still offering you the most popular channels at a reasonable price across all our packages. We apologize for any inconvenience this programming change may cause.

Many of the shows broadcast on Sprout are also available on your local PBS station(s). To find your local PBS stations, go to the Search & Browse section of your Menu screen and type "PBS" in the Smart Search bar. You can also visit DIRECTV.com for the most up to date PBS channel listings in your area.

DIRECTV also offers a broad selection of additional children's programming in our kids channel neighborhood of 290 through 302, including several Disney and Nickelodeon channels, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, the Hub and BabyFirstTV.

Does this only effect the Choice Extra plan or the old Total Choice Plus plans as well?

· Icon
1,567 Posts
There is another thread about the topic. Cloo is also moving to Ultimate. I will have to wait to see what the final line ups will be before I decide whether to switch, but the grandkids like Sprout, and my wife likes Cloo, so I see another $5.00 per month to DirecTV in my future.

· Legend
213 Posts
hawksfan01 said:
My daughter loves that channel. Had to make the upgrade, and spend even more money for one channel. I don't need or want the couple extra channels.
I remember years ago when I upgraded to Dish's AT250 just to get Boomerang! and a couple other niche channels. If your daughter wants it that much then just tell her it's part of her allowance.

· Mentor
59 Posts
djbarker27 said:
Does this only effect the Choice Extra plan or the old Total Choice Plus plans as well?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you currently have Sprout on the Choice Xtra package that your package will be renamed to Choice Xtra Classic after Feb. 9 and you will continue to have Sprout, Cloo and any other channels that may be moving to Ultimate after Feb. 9.

· Icon
669 Posts
djbarker27 said:
My friend received this email today form Directv:

Many of the shows broadcast on Sprout are also available on your local PBS station(s). To find your local PBS stations, go to the Search & Browse section of your Menu screen and type "PBS" in the Smart Search bar. You can also visit DIRECTV.com for the most up to date PBS channel listings in your area.

DIRECTV also offers a broad selection of additional children's programming in our kids channel neighborhood of 290 through 302, including several Disney and Nickelodeon channels, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, the Hub and BabyFirstTV.
A good deal of the programming on Sprout is exclusive. As for the stuff on PBS, I can get that for free OTA.

· Hall Of Fame
3,041 Posts
mavs-fan said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you currently have Sprout on the Choice Xtra package that your package will be renamed to Choice Xtra Classic after Feb. 9 and you will continue to have Sprout, Cloo and any other channels that may be moving to Ultimate after Feb. 9.
It's coming out of all forms of CHOICE XTRA, including the soon to be re-named XTRA Classic.

· Hall Of Fame
3,041 Posts
detroit_Fan said:
I have an old package that appears as "Plus HD DVR" on my bill. I currently get sprout, does anyone know if it will stay in my current plan or will i have to get the ultimate?
You would have to upgrade. Plus HD DVR is the same as CHOICE XTRA with HD Access and DVR service.

· Legend
126 Posts
Satelliteracer said:
You would have to upgrade. Plus HD DVR is the same as CHOICE XTRA with HD Access and DVR service.
thanks for teh reply. glad to know what current package my old one compares to.

so i would have to go to ultimate $71/month, then have to pay separate dvr($8) and hd($10) fees, so i'd be $89/month instead of my current $83/month for all. that sucks

· Legend
176 Posts
I spoke today with someone in retentions. I was very nice with the CSR and explained that I watch that channel all the time with our son. It's one of the few channels that does not have any programming I need to be concerned about him watching. The guy was very nice and we chatted for a bit. He upgraded me to Choice Ultimate and gave me a $5/month credit for a year. So basically I got the upgrade for free. I don't care about any of the other channels I gained but I'm glad we're keeping Sprout. Now about getting it in HD...

· Icon
1,125 Posts
Now I have to wonder, are Sprout and Cloo those channels that are driving our bills up? I don't think so, but I get the point that Directv needs to get costs in check. But really, these channels? Seriously. How about pulling off Fox News? That channel drives costs up more significantly.....

· Godfather
663 Posts
WebTraveler said:
Now I have to wonder, are Sprout and Cloo those channels that are driving our bills up? I don't think so, but I get the point that Directv needs to get costs in check. But really, these channels? Seriously. How about pulling off Fox News? That channel drives costs up more significantly.....
You don't care about the cost of FNC. You just object because it is more conservative.

· Legend
126 Posts
WebTraveler said:
Why would they move the most popular news channel. Makes more sense to move the ones nobody watches, like msnbc and current tv ;)

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
detroit_Fan said:
thanks for teh reply. glad to know what current package my old one compares to.

so i would have to go to ultimate $71/month, then have to pay separate dvr($8) and hd($10) fees, so i'd be $89/month instead of my current $83/month for all. that sucks
Slight correction

Choice Ultimate $74.99/month, Dvr($8) and HD($10)
Total = $92.99

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
I am just curious why they are raising the price of the package (Xtra Classic) if they are removing channels from it. Logically, the price should stay the same, and they should just remove channels every year to keep the price the same (for that package).

This move really makes no sense to me. Maybe they are just getting us used to losing channels from our packages to see if we will complain about losing them at the same time they hike the price.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.