DBSTalk Forum banner

PC or Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to gage the percentage of PC to Mac HR20 subs. If there is a significant number of Mac HR20 subs, it may be incentice for D* to work with Elgato, Twonky and others to get us some help.

· Legend
126 Posts
My understanding is that Apple is going to integrate Viiv into upcoming software, at least that has been the rumor for awhile. I have a Mac and it's frustating not to be able to use some of the HR20 features.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
So far, this sampling shows that for the quarter million HR20 users:

100% of HR20 owners have at least 1 computer

51% of HR20 owners own a Mac.

Silly Apple is out there thinking that their marketshare in June was around 2.0% and dropping.

The dbstalk forum's biggest users are:
Middle aged
Guys (98%)
Technophiles
Computer lovers
with dangerously high IQ's

Of those, the people who clicked on this thread were the ones who were interested in a thread about Macs.

So one of two things. Either this poll is a bit biased or the Mac installed base just jumped from 2% to 51%. That means that since June Apple sold roughly 50,000,000 Macs.

- Craig

· Icon
2,283 Posts
If you love MACs, why do you HAVE to have a PC? Especially since MACs can now run Windows.

I personally don't get the thrill of using a MAC when the PCs do what MACs do and more these days. I could understand the attraction pre Windows XP, but I just don't get it now. I've always felt that MAC people are like Trekkies (or is it Trekkers?) They just can't understand why EVERYONE doesn't love MACs. And don't give me the crap about how MACs never crash? I have PERSONALLY crashed more than one friend's MAC and I know of quite a few that have gotten just as corrupted as any PC.

My opinion is, that if it weren't for the iPOD, Apple would be in big trouble. The iPOD saved that company, and, it was really that they came out with the PC version of the iPod that made THAT product the huge success it is.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
It is an "open" system, to a various degree.

The HR20 is simply ViiV certified.
Which means that it has been certified via Intel to work with the ViiV media server, and other ViiV featuers.

Nothing is stoping you from using other compliant media servers on Linux and Mac.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Steveknj said:
If you love MACs, why do you HAVE to have a PC? Especially since MACs can now run Windows.

I personally don't get the thrill of using a MAC when the PCs do what MACs do and more these days. I could understand the attraction pre Windows XP, but I just don't get it now. I've always felt that MAC people are like Trekkies (or is it Trekkers?) They just can't understand why EVERYONE doesn't love MACs. And don't give me the crap about how MACs never crash? I have PERSONALLY crashed more than one friend's MAC and I know of quite a few that have gotten just as corrupted as any PC.

My opinion is, that if it weren't for the iPOD, Apple would be in big trouble. The iPOD saved that company, and, it was really that they came out with the PC version of the iPod that made THAT product the huge success it is.
With Apple's introduction of hardware that can run Windows...

It is now not so much "Mac" vs "PC" as really that is just the hardware level.

It is now about the OS / Enviornment that that particular piece of Hardware can provide.

· Mentor
33 Posts
Steveknj said:

Some times people have to keep an old PC around various reasons. I have an IBM X40 that keep around because my car has a programable ECU, and it only has software that runs on WindowsXP. My brother has one because he is taking a computer programing class in his high school and they use an old programing language SCHEME and the compiler they use is win9x only. The rest of your argument has little merit. I don't understand why most home users buy NEW windows machines. When people ask me what machine they should get I tell them a mac. Often they feel the way you're expressing about me, but it's not really about loving the mac, it's a matter of hating the windows platform. I've used windows as little as possible since I learned there was a choice back in 2000. At that time I started using linux. Linux ofcourse is not an OS I'd use for my mother-in-law today, but OS X takes all the things I love about *nix and puts a finely polished interface and support system to it. That and the TCO of the machine are the reasons I think Mac is the smart choice. Of-course MACs can crash, Linux can crash, but Windows crashing is expected, *nix crashes aren't. Windows used to have a bad habit of the whole system becoming unstable if any one application crashed. That is where the bulk of the that rumor came from. If Safari crashes, I click the reopen dialog and it restarts, everything is fine. It used to be when IE crashed, usually you need to restart the whole machine. As I understand it winxp is much better about that.

Another note, windows has held an undisputed majority of the desktop for the last 10 years. WinXP was a major polishing of 2000. What I'm getting at is that in over 5 years there have been no updates or added features to the windows OS. Now that a totally new OS is coming out a large amount of the new features have been out in either mac or linux, or both, for years now. Choices breed innovation, and innovation is good for everyone, except monopolies.

· Registered
5,451 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steveknj said:

My opinion is, that if it weren't for the iPOD, Apple would be in big trouble. The iPOD saved that company, and, it was really that they came out with the PC version of the iPod(PC version of ITunes) that made THAT product the huge success it is.
Have you seen Vista? Hmmm, looks a lot like OS X.

This is not a poll of Mac vs PC. I just wanted to gage the percentage of HR20 subs that are Mac owners. I realize that this is just a "sample of the sample"of D* HR20 users, as has been mentioned in other threads. Most D* subs do not even know this forum, or any other forum exists, but D* does and monitors it. I am hoping that D* will see that a large portion of their HR20 base is being left out.

As with the graphic arts/animation field, the percentage of Mac owners/HR20 subs may be higher than the general population

· Registered
4,880 Posts

Btw, I hate dealing with the macs here at work due to Apple's bafflingly crappy HTTP proxy implementation. It's not so bad with OS X 10.4.x, but most of our macs are running an older version of OS X that absolutely hates our web proxy.

· Mentor
33 Posts
PoitNarf said:

Btw, I hate dealing with the macs here at work due to Apple's bafflingly crappy HTTP proxy implementation. It's not so bad with OS X 10.4.x, but most of our macs are running an older version of OS X that absolutely hates our web proxy.
Time to update, 10.5 is just around the corner!

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
LoganDzwon said:
Time to update, 10.5 is just around the corner!
Is that like an annual right of passage... :D

· Godfather
267 Posts
For the record.... while yes, the iPod has been quite successful, it is NOT what saved Apple's neck. It is a combination of the iMac, iTunes, iPod, MacOS X and now the Intel hardware. As a result, the market share is growing. Not that their market share matters much. Apple makes great products and will continue to do so.

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
Even though you can run windows fine now, you still cannot run anything that requires DirectX on a MAC. Which is still a requirement for so many excellent gaming titles....until that hurdle is overcome, MACs are just expensive toys, err business machines..

;)

· Mentor
33 Posts
CCarncross said:
Even though you can run windows fine now, you still cannot run anything that requires DirectX on a MAC. Which is still a requirement for so many excellent gaming titles....until that hurdle is overcome, MACs are just expensive toys, err business machines..

;)
I don't know why you think this? BootCamp + XP + directX and OpenGL = gaming bliss for many people...

Anyway, back on topic. All my family's media is on the mac. 1000s of photos, music, home videos is all on our macs. Since I got the first back about 1.5 years ago it tolk us about 2 months to decide to dump the linux and windows machines for an all mac network. However, I hope so much that at the MacWorld they announce some DLNA stuff for OS X. Between D*, many TVs, and now even the PS3 it seems everyone is going that route.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.