DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be the week that we all get another update, which hopefully corrects many of the bug-a-boos reported. While I have personally had no issues with my 2 HR20's, I wanted to pass on what I'm hearing from my contacts inside the walls at D*TV. This seems to be consistent with what Earl is hearing as well.

They have been testing the next update for over 2 weeks now, and as of last week, it was close to being ready for donwloading.

My little "flys on the wall" are also hearing that the OTA has gone through over 30 days of testing with only a few minor issues before it is ready too.

November should be a great month for the HR20 - and we're coming up on the 90-days-in-the-market point, which is a realistic target for squaring away loose ends on this box.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
This may be the week that we all get another update, which hopefully corrects many of the bug-a-boos reported. While I have personally had no issues with my 2 HR20's, I wanted to pass on what I'm hearing from my contacts inside the walls at D*TV. This seems to be consistent with what Earl is hearing as well.

They have been testing the next update for over 2 weeks now, and as of last week, it was close to being ready for donwloading.

My little "flys on the wall" are also hearing that the OTA has gone through over 30 days of testing with only a few minor issues before it is ready too.

November should be a great month for the HR20 - and we're coming up on the 90-days-in-the-market point, which is a realistic target for squaring away loose ends on this box.
From your keyboard to Gods ears!;)

John Buckingham

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There is a very good chance that we will see an update this week.

I should know by Tuesday what the prospects are... since Monday's are used by DirecTV to gather all the data from the testing teams to evaluate how the current version is.

They have been testing the "next" release now for nearly 3 weeks, they have tweeked it between builds fixing identified issues... ect.

OTA is very close to being enabled...

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

I should know by Tuesday what the prospects are... since Monday's are used by DirecTV to gather all the data from the testing teams to evaluate how the current version is.

They have been testing the "next" release now for nearly 3 weeks, they have tweeked it between builds fixing identified issues... ect.

I hope 3 weeks worth of testing leads us to getting the best software build yet. The previous builds don't seem like they got nearly that amount of time in the test phase.

189 Posts
Please, let there be OTA........ :balloons:

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

Earl i got the hr20 to avoid having an OTA, but the issue is, will i have less hiccups using the OTA vs mpeg 4 (dolby issues. sound delays etc), or once the software updates stabalize its a distinction without a difference?

I know the recepton of OTA might be a little better, but not my main issue

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I'm really really hoping for a very clean software update. It would be extremely nice to have this unit stable; meaning....it does what it's supposed to do EVERY TIME. Plus, I want some of the stupid nagging glitches fixed; like when dolby is on it means its ON. OTA will be nice to have, especially for the areas that don't have their locals (I have my locals MPEG4); but I know lots of people are looking forward to this. It would also be nice to have the trick play functions more stabilized as well.

All I can say is GOOD LUCK TO US ALL.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
St Louis Cardinals Fan said:
Please, let there be OTA........ :balloons:
I'll pop those balloons now....
OTA is not enabled in the next release

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
:( :confused: :eek2: :mad: :nono2: :nono:

- "There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling"

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Earl...speaking hypothetically (of course); would it be a good assumption that many of the current stability issues will be addressed in the next release?

·
Icon
600 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
This may be the week that we all get another update, which hopefully corrects many of the bug-a-boos reported.
... ooooorrrr ... it could just add more bugs and exacerbate existing ones like the LAST release did!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jheda said:
Earl i got the hr20 to avoid having an OTA, but the issue is, will i have less hiccups using the OTA vs mpeg 4 (dolby issues. sound delays etc), or once the software updates stabalize its a distinction without a difference?

I know the recepton of OTA might be a little better, but not my main issue
Hopefully as they continue to improve the encoding centers (upding their software/hardware) And tweak the software, the difference between OTA and MPEG-4 will be very little.

But we won't know that until OTA is turned on, and they finish with the updates to the MPEG-4 streams.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
NFLnut said:
... ooooorrrr ... it could just add more bugs and exacerbate existing ones like the LAST release did!
... ooooorrrr... you could switch to cable if you are so unhappy with the HR20 !

I didn't notice any bugs added or that any existing bugs got worse.
:rolleyes:

The MPEG4 Fast Forward issues were all cleared up for me with the last software release. I haven't had any new issues since the last software release.:)

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Vinny said:
Earl...speaking hypothetically (of course); would it be a good assumption that many of the current stability issues will be addressed in the next release?
I don't have a set of release notes... but I know they try to repair any stability issues that are identified... as high priority fixes in the releases.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I don't have a set of release notes... but I know they try to repair any stability issues that are identified... as high priority fixes in the releases.
Thanks....The key phrase in your response is "stability issues that are identified". I take it that most of the issues we've been reporting can be labeled "identified". Please say yes, please please.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,364 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Hopefully as they continue to improve the encoding centers (upding their software/hardware) And tweak the software, the difference between OTA and MPEG-4 will be very little.

But we won't know that until OTA is turned on, and they finish with the updates to the MPEG-4 streams.
thanks earl, you are the wind beneath our wings!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Vinny said:
Thanks....The key phrase in your response is "stability issues that are identified". I take it that most of the issues we've been reporting can be labeled "identified". Please say yes, please please.
I don't know... the ones we "report" are reported...
I would not count them as identified until they know why/how it happened...

Hence why when there are stability issues... the most improtant thing is try to list as much detail on what was going on when it occured... so they can try to recreate it in the lab... and thus fix it.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I don't know... the ones we "report" are reported...
I would not count them as identified until they know why/how it happened...

Hence why when there are stability issues... the most improtant thing is try to list as much detail on what was going on when it occured... so they can try to recreate it in the lab... and thus fix it.
Thanks Earl...I guess all we can do is wait and see. Hopefully, we don't have to wait too long.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.