DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to keep up with TV, but this one came as a surprise - maybe because I don't watch much news and skip commercials, though we watch "CBS Sunday Morning" religiously.

I was setting my schedule for the coming week when lo and behold a "premier" of "Person to Person" on CBS appeared on Wednesday at 8:00. Here's what CBS has to say about it:
CBS News made television history with the groundbreaking series "Person to Person," hosted by legendary newsman Edward R. Murrow. Each week Murrow, seated in his armchair in New York, took viewers by remote into the private homes of the most famous people on the planet. Although it was produced more than 50 years ago, Murrow's guests were of such iconic status their names still resonate today: John and Jacqueline Kennedy, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando, Elizabeth Taylor, Eleanor Roosevelt, Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall to name a few.

With a nod to history, CBS News is bringing back "Person to Person" as a television event with the celebrities and newsmakers that are the legends of today. The new program will be hosted by Lara Logan and Charlie Rose, two widely respected journalists who excel at the art of conversation.

..."Person to Person" debuted on Friday, Oct. 2, 1953. Brooklyn Dodgers' catcher Roy Campanella was the first guest. As luck would have it, Campanella had just hit the winning home run in game three of the World Series, beating the Yankees that night. Campanella's segment was paired with a visit to the home of conductor Leopold Stokowski and his wife, Gloria Vanderbilt. The program was an instant hit with viewers and remained that way for years. Person to Person hosted by Murrow ran from 1953 to 1959 and was a fixture in the top ten list of most popular programs. At its peak in 1957, 45 percent of all homes with television sets were tuned in to "Person to Person"....
There's more there and, of course, a few of the surviving recordings one can stream. In a news release, CBS says:
George Clooney gives Logan and Rose a tour of his Los Angeles home, while Warren Buffett opens the door to his Omaha office, and Jon Bon Jovi welcomes "Person to Person" to his magnificent home on the Navesink River in New Jersey, including his private recording studio.
Since "Survivor World" premiers the following week, I'm not sure what CBS plans to do with this show. But it's interesting scheduling.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.