DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a call tonight from D* Technical Operations. They said my HR20-700 which I leave connected to my ethernet all the time, had reported back a low signal. We went through the antenna strength meters together and everything was fine. They verified my software and offerred me a free service call to tweak my antenna even though all my signal strengths were in the 90's. Told them no thanks.
Very pleasant call and only took about 5 minutes.
Anyone else experience this? Is it legit?

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
woodyww said:
I received a call tonight from D* Technical Operations. They said my HR20-700 which I leave connected to my ethernet all the time, had reported back a low signal. We went through the antenna strength meters together and everything was fine. They verified my software and offerred me a free service call to tweak my antenna even though all my signal strengths were in the 90's. Told them no thanks.
Very pleasant call and only took about 5 minutes.
Anyone else experience this? Is it legit?
it is indeed legit. it is called account health. Directv wants to make sure that your equipment works as it should

· RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
Johnnie5000 said:
But yes, big brother is watching you.
Not me. After having "block viewing data collection" added to my account and also having IPPV (ordering via remote) disabled via a call to customer service my boxes haven't used the phone line to call in for 3 weeks even though they are all connected so I can enjoy the on-screen caller ID feature (I have 2-way caller ID so I know when outgoing calls are placed).

They used to call in every time I made any changes to my TO DO list.

PS: I don't have always-on broadband internet so my R22 will never see the internet not that I care as DirecTV-on-demand doesn't thrill me.

· Godfather
425 Posts
ThomasM said:
Not me. After having "block viewing data collection" added to my account and also having IPPV (ordering via remote) disabled via a call to customer service my boxes haven't used the phone line to call in for 3 weeks even though they are all connected so I can enjoy the on-screen caller ID feature (I have 2-way caller ID so I know when outgoing calls are placed).

PS: I don't have always-on broadband internet so my R22 will never see the internet not that I care as DirecTV-on-demand doesn't thrill me.
I hope they monitor my service and call me to improve if something is not running as it should. I wish every service provider would do the same to make my live easy. I connect my modem and my broadband. I can buy PPV from my couch and download VOD whenever I want. :)

· AllStar
73 Posts
I got a similar call last night (8/11) and sure enough I had mediocre signal at best (mid 60's on a clear night). Have a call scheduled for early next week.

· Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As an update, we did have little old tropical storm Edouard come through here last Tuesday. I think with all the rain, my signal was probably reduced for several hours. Maybe that's when my box checked in.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
ThomasM said:

Is there any particular reason we should follow your lead and prevent DirecTV from recording our viewing info?

Because I can think of no reason whatsoever.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
paulman182 said:
Is there any particular reason we should follow your lead and prevent DirecTV from recording our viewing info?

Because I can think of no reason whatsoever.
I can think of one reason: Viewing habit information has value, and unless I am in some way compensated for providing that value, I won't willingly let anyone have it. I'm not against giving up my "private information", but when I do, I better get something in return. I take a lot of online surveys and get everything from Starbucks gift cards to cash. It's not much, but it's something of value in return for my valuable information.

· Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
I got a call from a DirecTV tech back in June asking about reported weak signal on one of the sats. I knew what it was (I am losing 110 due to oak tree getting taller - visible in my avatar to the right of the dish) and told the guy no problem - just get that D11 online and I would be set!

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
rudeney said:
I can think of one reason: Viewing habit information has value, and unless I am in some way compensated for providing that value, I won't willingly let anyone have it. I'm not against giving up my "private information", but when I do, I better get something in return. I take a lot of online surveys and get everything from Starbucks gift cards to cash. It's not much, but it's something of value in return for my valuable information.
Thanks, I'll send you a quarter for replying.:lol:

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
paulman182 said:
rudeney said:
Thanks, I'll send you a quarter for replying.:lol:
Oh, please! That reply was worth at least $0.50! Seriously, I'll offer as much knowledge as I can in open forums, but when a for-profit company wants my information, they will pay for it just like I have to pay for what they offer.

But back on-topic…one thing I am glad to hear is that many people getting these calls are not being charged for the service visit. Of course it remains to be seen if D* will eventually use this as a revenue stream, but at least for now, it seem to be a proactive measure. Maybe they have decided that fixing issues proactively will be less costly than waiting until customers call with a total outage.

· Banned
4,253 Posts
ThomasM said:

Ever wonder what the "LNB Output" test is for????? :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.