DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4:3 TV hooked up through component, and I have noticed that both my regular shows and my HD shows seems to be a little cut off on the sides. It's not a lot by any means, but still slightly annoying. At first I thought it might be something on my TV settings, but I don't see any settings to adjust the horizontal stretch or anything like that.

But then when I started playing around with things I noticed I could get more picture on the sides. For example when I go to menu or guide mode and it shows the picture in the upper right hand corner, I can see more image on the sides. Also if I go into the menu and change the TV setting to 16:9 (even though I have a 4:3 tv) it will pillar box my image and then I see the whole image to the left and right sides before the black bars start. Any ideas?

Thanks.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
It's your tv, sadly. I just went from a 4:3 Sony HDTV to a new Samsung 16:9 lcd, and I see A LOT more picture. On ABC HD broadcasts, the HD symbol in the bottom right was about 2/3 visible on my Sony. Now, I see the symbol plus some area. I think 4:3 sets were a good idea gone bad. I'd bought mine last year this same time figuring I watch more SD 4:3 content...WRONG! So I ponied up the big bucks for a nice 16:9 model and love it.

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, it does seem sad indeed. Weird thing is I didn't seem to notice any missing picture when I was just on the standard DirecTV and standard Tivo back in the day. Maybe I will have to compare.

· AllStar
74 Posts
I had a problem with the top and bottom of mine being cut off that I was able to improve by using the TV's service menu. I would be cautious though from what I understand, it is easy to get things screwed up if you don't know what you are doing. I was able to find enough info on various sites to get it done though. A lot of what's in there is like the controls on a computer monitor.

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to hook my tivo back up to my set tonight and compare where the station id's are to see if truly it is cutting off more with my HR20.

Is there a chance it could be something different about my component connection from my hr20, since I used s-video for my tivo before?

· AllStar
74 Posts
My cut off issue was in the 1080i resolutions through the component connections. If I tried any of the 480i/p formats I didn't have any issues, even through my component connections.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
mckingsley said:
I am going to hook my tivo back up to my set tonight and compare where the station id's are to see if truly it is cutting off more with my HR20.

Is there a chance it could be something different about my component connection from my hr20, since I used s-video for my tivo before?
Definitely. Different connection modes very often have different overscan settings. I concur with those who "blame" the TV, not the DVR. Some TVs have overscan adjustments in the standard menus, while you need to use service mode on others (and there are some, like recent consumer model Panasonic plasmas, where overscan isn't even adjustable in service mode).

· Cool Member
10 Posts
So why was it not a problem with my Verizon Motorola DVR but is with my HR-20? It would appear that it is like a PC monitor; The same resolution at a different refresh rate will cause over scan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.