DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is not the correct place for this.

Since I received the upgrade Thursday night my MPEG4 picture for local channels in the SF Bay Area has been terrible. I am not clear on the exact term but every 4-5 seconds the picture goes out of wack (pixelization perhaps ?). It happens on all channels, live TV and recorded shows and did not happen prior to the upgrade as far as I can tell.

I am using HDMI between HR20 and TV.

Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
64 Posts
tonyoci said:
Apologies if this is not the correct place for this.

Since I received the upgrade Thursday night my MPEG4 picture for local channels in the SF Bay Area has been terrible. I am not clear on the exact term but every 4-5 seconds the picture goes out of wack (pixelization perhaps ?). It happens on all channels, live TV and recorded shows and did not happen prior to the upgrade as far as I can tell.

I am using HDMI between HR20 and TV.

Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
I just checked SNL on 11 (San Jose NBC, MP4) via component output - no problem other than bit-stingy encoding.:nono2:

I suggest you try your component connection to see if it is HDMI related.

regards, billb....
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
563 Posts
tonyoci said:
Apologies if this is not the correct place for this.

Since I received the upgrade Thursday night my MPEG4 picture for local channels in the SF Bay Area has been terrible. I am not clear on the exact term but every 4-5 seconds the picture goes out of wack (pixelization perhaps ?). It happens on all channels, live TV and recorded shows and did not happen prior to the upgrade as far as I can tell.

I am using HDMI between HR20 and TV.

Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Tony
See which version you have. quixk menu,settings, info setup. If it is 0xE3 or 227 then this is a new problem otherwise this problem was fixed in a new version on Friday night but is not yet available in the whole country.
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
11,448 Posts
dvrblogger said:
See which version you have. quixk menu,settings, info setup. If it is 0xE3 or 227 then this is a new problem otherwise this problem was fixed in a new version on Friday night but is not yet available in the whole country.
0xE3 was rolled out nationwide by yesterday. My brand-new unit downloaded and installed it as soon as the tech plugged it in and turned it on yesterday about 12:30 p.m.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
58 Posts
bbroach said:
I just checked SNL on 11 (San Jose NBC, MP4) via component output - no problem other than bit-stingy encoding.:nono2:

I suggest you try your component connection to see if it is HDMI related.

regards, billb....
I've stuck with the component connection as well for my HR20 and have not had any problems. The lastest update has been a BIG relief for me, as I really don't have any issues now (no audio problems or pixelation, etc.). I'm really liking my HR20! Try using the component connection, then reboot it . . . may help.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
58 Posts
gymj22 said:
I've stuck with the component connection as well for my HR20 and have not had any problems. The lastest update has been a BIG relief for me, as I really don't have any issues now (no audio problems or pixelation, etc.). I'm really liking my HR20! Try using the component connection, then reboot it . . . may help.
Knock on wood.:engel10:
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
14 Posts
I haven't watched too much since the upgrade - part of the Cal game and about half of the World Series game. I did not see any picture problems on either. The only problem I've had is the need to do a red-button reset yesterday morning - unit was locked up.

My HR20 is hooked up to a Sony S2000 via HDMI.

Jay
Los Altos Hills
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks, yes my unit was also locked up sometime Saturday. I do have the latest software version and I did NOT have these kind of problems before the upgrade.

Could this be a physical problem with the unit itself ?

I'll try component today and see how it looks.

Tony
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I checked and the problem occurs using component also. It's only on the MPEG4 channels and it only started since the upgrade early Friday (shows recorded before that are fine).

It's basically unwatchable, I am now getting pixelation on 40% of the screen every 1-2 seconds.

I've restarted a couple of times but nothing changes.

Any other SF Bay Area people with the same problem ?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
No problems here. I have been using HDMI since I got the unit and haven't had any of the problems you are describing. Weird problem, almost sounds like an alignment issue. What are your signal strength readings? I know you said it started when you got the update, but maybe it's just coincidence.:confused:
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
79 Posts
I'm in the SF Bay Area and I just got my install on Friday and the unit went through two software upgrades and is running 0xE3...

I too get the pixellation problem on the local HD channels (using HDMI - haven't tried component, signal strength around 91-92).

This is is really frustrating since I upgraded to the HR20 so I could get local HD channels without an off-air antenna (where I live, getting the off-air channels is sketchy and would get pixellation or even no signal) but right now, I'm seeing equal or even more frequent pixellation than I got with the off-air antenna! :mad:

lj
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
hoss713 said:
I'm in the SF Bay Area and I just got my install on Friday and the unit went through two software upgrades and is running 0xE3...

I too get the pixellation problem on the local HD channels (using HDMI - haven't tried component, signal strength around 91-92).

This is is really frustrating since I upgraded to the HR20 so I could get local HD channels without an off-air antenna (where I live, getting the off-air channels is sketchy and would get pixellation or even no signal) but right now, I'm seeing equal or even more frequent pixellation than I got with the off-air antenna! :mad:

lj
Is it a specific channel or channels or is it all of the local HD feeds? Because I am checking all of mine right now and don't see it. NASCAR on 11 is perfect, Football on 5 and 2 is great also.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
79 Posts
It doesn't happen all the time. It might hit mid-show for a few seconds and then not happen again. I saw it on channel two during yesterday's World Series game... I know I saw it on other channels, but can't remember which right now...I'll have to note down when I see it in the future...

lj
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
64 Posts
hoss713 said:
It doesn't happen all the time. It might hit mid-show for a few seconds and then not happen again. I saw it on channel two during yesterday's World Series game... I know I saw it on other channels, but can't remember which right now...I'll have to note down when I see it in the future...

lj
Have you checked he signal strength on the spot beam transponder? Look to see if the signal strength is bouncing or very low on any transponders.

regards, billb....
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
79 Posts
The install was done by a D* installer, he only checked the default signal (Sat 101, transponder 1, signal 91-92) and said it was good. When I look at the signal strength for all satellites, I get:

Sat 101:
Everything between 82-95 EXCEPT: #18=51, #26=0, #28=55

Sat 110:
Only 3 transponders (8,10,12) all between 93-95

Sat 119:
Only 11 transponders (22-32) and report 83, 0, 84, 0, 86, 0, 83, 0, 82, 0, 85

The interesting thing about this sat, is that it's not detected during the satellite detection. The installer said that was okay as it's only for international channels, and I'd have to get an additional dish to get them.

Sat 99(b):
Only 6 transponders (1-6) and report 0, 74, 97, 0, 0, 69

Sat 103(a):
Only 6 transponders (1-6) and report 0, 100, 0, 0, 0, 100

Now what do I do with this information? :confused:

Thanks...

lj
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, I restarted the machine again. Third time since the upgrade. After this restart the problem has gone away on live and previously recorded shows.

BTW: Is the loss of guide data, after a restart, normal ?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
tonyoci said:
OK, I restarted the machine again. Third time since the upgrade. After this restart the problem has gone away on live and previously recorded shows.

BTW: Is the loss of guide data, after a restart, normal ?
Yea, it takes about 24 hours for the guide to fully update.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
58 Posts
Littledude said:
I am having no problems via either component or HDMI. By the way, channel 2 news is awsome. When did they go HD?
It was either last week, or the week before that. I usually just flip to the SD channel, but saw they were advertising they now had HD. I changed over the the HD channel and was blown away, especially the in studio shots . . . the anchors might as well have been in my TV!
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
gymj22 said:
It was either last week, or the week before that. I usually just flip to the SD channel, but saw they were advertising they now had HD. I changed over the the HD channel and was blown away, especially the in studio shots . . . the anchors might as well have been in my TV!
Great info! I did not know this. It's about time, none of the other news programs are in HD. The only other one I have seen is the national NBC from LA.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top