DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently upgraded a H20 to a HR20-100. The problem is the picture is too bright with both of them. The guide is bright enough that it is hard to read sometimes and if you watch a hockey game the players are washed out by the ice. You cannot see any of the logos on the ice. I thought at first it was the h20 going bad, but the Hr20 did it also

Adjusting the tv contrast and brightness does nothing to control the problem.

It is connected via component cables. I have tried it on 3 different tv's and it is the same on each. I have a HR20-700 that work perfectly and I have tried swapping places and it does not correct it.

I do not have any HDMI or DVI cables to try and with my system setup they are not an option as I have everything centrally located and distributed via component over cat 5.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

· Godfather
499 Posts
Try hooking up a TV directly to a receiver without the distribution amp and see if that's the problem.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Done directly to 2 different tvs and still the same.

· Godfather
499 Posts
wytmike said:
Done directly to 2 different tvs and still the same.
And the TVs have been set off that "vivid" setting that the maufacturers like to default to for display in on the showroom floor? Just checking.

Can't imagine not being able to lower brightness, I can set mine down to blackness.

Can you try OTA input?

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The output from the receiver is so bright that even if you turn it down on the tv it just lowers the brightness and does nothing for the washed out picture. It is still washed out just dimmer.

· Godfather
499 Posts
wytmike said:
The output from the receiver is so bright that even if you turn it down on the tv it just lowers the brightness and does nothing for the washed out picture. It is still washed out just dimmer.
Have you tried swapping out the cables, sounds like a controls signal is getting zapped somehow.

· Registered
2,210 Posts
wytmike said:
sounds like you might have the contrast adjusted to high. instead of turning down the brightness. try lowering the contrast control on the TV.

with to much contrast you'll get the wash out effect. which really happens with whites and some colors.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tried it all. Contrast brightness, color, picture, cables and yes even the sat cables with the other receiver. Nothing corrects it. Think I have to send it back.

Mike

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only happens with one of the HR20-100 and H20. HR20-700 is fine. Doesn't matter what combination is used-amp no amp, different cables different tv's.

It is something with the boxes themselves but it is weird that it is on 2 boxes.

Mike

· Godfather
499 Posts
wytmike said:
Only happens with one of the HR20-100 and H20. HR20-700 is fine. Doesn't matter what combination is used-amp no amp, different cables different tv's.

It is something with the boxes themselves but it is weird that it is on 2 boxes.

Mike
Looks like it's time to call Directv and play the CSR game. You want them to fedex a replacemnet box directly to you, you win, and not dispatch a tech, which may take 3, 5, 10 days, to have him have them fedex a box to you, you lose.

You want to keep everything simple. Have the bad HR20 and to good HR20 next to the TV. Your story is that you have a bad box and a good box, one works and one doesn't. The CSR is required to run through a script where you reboot bad box, show problem, disconnect and reconnect good box, boot, and show no problem. They'll probably want to do this over the phone so set aside an hour to go through this. It's like they're putting checkmarks on a troubleshooting flowchart.

Go through all this politely in order to demonstrate that it's not the site (dish, multiswitch, wiring) that may be causing the problem and cause a truckroll, but the box itself.

Call for one box at a time. Like you said, weird for it to be two. But say that and it's likely the CSR will suspect something on site. DO NOT mention distribution amps, matrix switches, or cat5 cable. That will just confuse and they'll want someone on site. Keep it simple. You have one box the works side by side one box that doesn't, period.

After you get the HR20 replaced and working, it will be much easier to convince them the H20 has to same problem.

Good luck.

P.S. I'd try to call on a weekday during regular business hours, if possible. Better chance of getting full time experienced CSR.

· Godfather
256 Posts
2dogz said:
And the TVs have been set off that "vivid" setting that the maufacturers like to default to for display in on the showroom floor? Just checking.

Can't imagine not being able to lower brightness, I can set mine down to blackness.

Can you try OTA input?
I am with you.....had the same problem until I took the "vivid" down to regular viewing. Should check that first and confirm the settings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.