DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't too happy with how 622 upconverts SD programs so I decided to do a A/B comparison between S-Video (my display upscaling) and HDMI (622 upscaling).

S-Video was unwatchable due to its "jumpiness". When there was any sort of moving sequence, the picture was not smooth to the point that it was hard to watch. Did anyone run into the same problem?

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
I personally have not seen this reported...... Is this all channels or a particular channel? I don't use svideo with my 622, but I know people are and have been successful using it for SD.

What is your TV make and model?

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Also try a svideo cable swap if you have not already done so to eliminate a cable issue.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,363 Posts
S Video is a 4 conductor circuit. Hot and shield for chroma and hot and shield for Luminance. The Luminance also carries the sync signal. Should the shield connection of the luminance become intermittant, the shield connection will find its way via the shield on the chroma circuit but intermittant shield will cause a jump in impedance when this is the case. This impedance jump due to the shield making and breaking on the luminance side will usually cause the video to appear jumpy. Therefore I agree with Ron's suggestion to try the cable swap. But don't rule out issues with the S Video sockets. This is a much harder remedy, unfortunately.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Well put Don, I by no means have technical skills in this area to come up with your conclusion. Just troubleshooting 101 skills.... Swap out what is easy first and see if the problem goes away.

On that note and based on your description Don... If the cable swap does not help and your TV has two inputs. trying the other input would also be part of trying to narrow the issue done.

If that does not removed the problem, I would try hooking your 622 to another tv and see if the problem goes away. If it does not go away.. I would conclude you likely have a bad 622 svideo port.

Well that would be my conclusion....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.