DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached are pictures form this mornings Dish Conference from Richard King. It seems he caught most if not all the slides shown.

:joy: Thanks Richard for the shots :joy:

Attachments

9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More Pictures.

Attachments

9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Shots from the Press Conference Floor

Attachments

9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More pictures.

Attachments

9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And some more....

Attachments

· Legend
100 Posts
Notice the Homeplug slide? It shows that you just plug the Dish Receiver in the power socket. I'm assuming the current 622 does NOT have homeplug tech in it, but this new one will?

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
The current 622 has "Wireless Phone Jack support" - DISHComm. Sounds like a workalong/update.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Was there any date given for the availability of the new single tunter VIP DVR? Engadgets live coverage makes it appear the model number will be the VIP 612? This is the box I am waiting for to upgrade my current 300 series DVRs with and then update the attached tvs.

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
Unless there is a discount I don't see the point of a ViP-612 ... just get a ViP-622 and leave it in single mode. I did notice that there is a black DVR in one of the slides: (here)

Looks like a smaller footprint.

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
Perhaps ... unless there is some price difference I don't see the point. It being a two tuner device they may still have the $5 phone line fee - if only to annoy people. :) Two tuners still allows one to watch and record (or both) two different things from satellite at the same time.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
James Long said:
Unless there is a discount I don't see the point of a ViP-612 ... just get a ViP-622 and leave it in single mode. I did notice that there is a black DVR in one of the slides: (here)

Looks like a smaller footprint.
That (I think) is the 612

· Super Moderator
54,215 Posts
I wondered ... they finally got something new in basic black. That is an announcement!

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
I like HomePlug... My computers and internet connection/gateway/switch are all on the other side of the house... so the ability to just add one component in my computer room, and connect to the switch and permit my ViP622 to use the DishOnline stuff is something to look forward to.

Otherwise, I would have to do some rewiring and rethinking in my house to get internet to where my Dish receiver is located.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
Currently you are limited to 4 leased tuners per account. 3 VIP 622 = 6 tuners and a total minimum startup cost of $600, 1 leased at $199 and 1 purchased at $400. I assume the VIP 612 will purchase and lease for less then a VIP 622. There is also the whole double run vs single run with older equipment. I have done my upgrades so I can do a single run via a 44 switch, but I'm sure others haven't. There really is a need for a single tuner HD DVR and I'm glad to see it is comming I just want to know when.

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
What little I've heard of the 612, and what JL implies in post 9 and says in post 11, is that it is a dual-tuner DVR with only 1 output. Think 721 and 921 with 622 features and reliability but a broken name (if they followed their series/tuners/rooms nomenclature this would be a 621). So it still requires a double run with legacy or DishPro, or a single run with DP Plus and the Separator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.