DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Icon
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my HR20 decided to only allow me to see half of The King of Queens tonight, the first 15 minutes were a black screen, but I was able to FF to the 15 mark and see the rest. I decide to reboot the box since this happened. I press the red button and the power light flashes and nothing, no welcome screen, then the light goes off for a minute or so then comes back on and still nothing. On hold now for the ever so helpfull technical nonsupport. I'm so glad I paid 200 dollars for a piece of crap.

·
Legend
129 Posts
NYSmoker said:
So my HR20 decided to only allow me to see half of The King of Queens tonight, the first 15 minutes we a black screen, but I was able to FF to the 15 mark and see the rest. I decide to reboot the box since this happened. I press the red button and the power light flashes and nothing, no welcome screen, then the light goes off for a minute or so then comes back on and still nothing. On hold now for the ever so helpfull technical nonsupport. I'm so glad I paid 200 dollars for a piece of crap.
Better than me, I paid $300 for mine.:(

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
We need a venting section here...everyday people start threads just to ***** & moan, not even asking for help.

·
Icon
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct it's only tv how hard could it be to make it work it has been around for 60 years. Anyway, after speaking with the tech support supervisor he says I should get a replacement receiver and says he will FedEx one to me. I ask if that is overnighted and he tells me 2-3 business days with would put the replacement in my hands on Monday at the earliest. I ask for overnight service and he tells me that is not an option in the computer system. I ask for his boss and am told he can call me back within 72 hours, of course I might as well just have him send the receiver if it takes that long to speak with someone with some power.

I go to bed.

I wake up and plug in the box after it was unplugged all night. The same blue power light twice and nothing else. Right before I leave for work, an hour later, I say what the heck and press the remote's power button and the damn thing comes on just fine. I cancelled the replacement when I got to work and will play around with the box when I get home to see if it is indeed working now or if a simple reboot (which wouldn't be needed as often on non-beta hardware) happens to take an hour now.

·
Icon
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sigma1914 said:
We need a venting section here...everyday people start threads just to ***** & moan, not even asking for help.
Well I have inferred that Directv does get some information from this board, if no one says anything that isn't all sunshine and roses then there will never be any improvement with the Directv hardware.

The title of the thread should have clued you in to what the subject and tone would be. I titled it purposefully so people who don't want to read these stories could avoid the thread.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
NYSmoker said:
Well I have inferred that Directv does get some information from this board, if no one says anything that isn't all sunshine and roses then there will never be any improvement with the Directv hardware.

The title of the thread should have clued you in to what the subject and tone would be. I titled it purposefully so people who don't want to read these stories could avoid the thread.
And the title of the Forum should clue you in..."HR20 Q & A." Please direct me to the Q or A in your OP.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I think what the other posters were referring to was "venting" as opposed to clearly and concisely reporting problems, with details of same without all the hystrionics.

If we have any hope of being an asset to the troubleshooting of this box we need to decrease the POS stuff (and assorted other frustration responses) and increase the level of detail when describing/reporting problems.

If the goal is to get things better, there is one way to go. If the goal is to "feel better" and "cathart", then maybe that would be better in its own thread.

I think that's what they were getting at. Reporting problems is essential. Hyperbole, hand-waving, hand-wringing and name calling (even at an inanimate silver box or faceless corporation) is not only inessential, it's a waste of time....so we're back to catharting.

The best thing we can do, if we really want things to get better is to increase the quantity and especially the QUALITY of our reports, while holding D*'s feet to the fire. How we go about this shows a lot more about who we are, than who D* is.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
hasan said:
I think what the other posters were referring to was "venting" as opposed to clearly and concisely reporting problems, with details of same without all the hystrionics.

If we have any hope of being an asset to the troubleshooting of this box we need to decrease the POS stuff (and assorted other frustration responses) and increase the level of detail when describing/reporting problems.

If the goal is to get things better, there is one way to go. If the goal is to "feel better" and "cathart", then maybe that would be better in its own thread.

I think that's what they were getting at. Reporting problems is essential. Hyperbole, hand-waving, hand-wringing and name calling (even at an inanimate silver box or faceless corporation) is not only inessential, it's a waste of time....so we're back to catharting.

The best thing we can do, if we really want things to get better is to increase the quantity and especially the QUALITY of our reports, while holding D*'s feet to the fire. How we go about this shows a lot more about who we are, than who D* is.
What he ^ said. lol Thanks hasan.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Maybe we should just consolidate the random multiple venting threads into one big "I think the HR20 is a POS or POC, so here's what I really think" Megathread. :D

That way, we can keep them in one bucket.....people who want to do so can vent away....and those who don't want to deal with or view them can avoid them much easier. Just a suggestion....

In the mean time, the rest of us can focus on trying to get problems identified, listed, clarified, and resolved.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
I agree.

Getting tired of a couple people contantly creating a POS or POC post.

If you dont like like it send it back. PERIOD.

Who is more of an ass the person who complains or the person who complains and doesn't do anything about it.

If the HR20 is so bad return it. No one is forcing it on you. PERIOD

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Seriously...

I can't "stop" people from posting those threads. Nor am I going to.

If people want to vent... so be it.
If they don't want to vent constructively... so be it.

Just don't reply to the thread, unless you want to try to "help" the person with the problem that has sent them over the edge.

With in a few hours, those threads will fall off the first page of the forum... and that would be that.

Just like, no one is "forcing" anyone to keep and use their HR20.
No one is "forcing" you to reply to those threads...

·
Icon
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a few more things to say:

First, there is no general HR20 forum so where else should I put this "venting" thread? General Directv doesn't seem quite right.

Second, I kind of disagree with the idea that no one is forcing me to use an HR20, my 2 year contract with Directv is sort of forcing me to use that receiver in order to receive all HD channels available to me. At this point if Directv would waive any fees associated with cancelling I just might. And the not quite ready for primetime hardware would only be a part of that decision, the customer service would also play a big role in that decision.

Third, what do you guys think could be the cause of only getting half a program recorded and the first half being a black screen?
There is your "Q".
:p

·
Legend
222 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Seriously...

I can't "stop" people from posting those threads. Nor am I going to.

If people want to vent... so be it.
If they don't want to vent constructively... so be it.

Just don't reply to the thread, unless you want to try to "help" the person with the problem that has sent them over the edge.

With in a few hours, those threads will fall off the first page of the forum... and that would be that.

Just like, no one is "forcing" anyone to keep and use their HR20.
No one is "forcing" you to reply to those threads...
I love that those of you who "love my HR20" and "no problems with mine" can rationalize that people who are having problems -- MANY of them (TOO many for a consumer product in today's age) -- should not complain and/or vent in the ONLY forum dedicated to the HR20!!!! Gimme a freakin' break!! If your HR20 works perfectly...GOOD FOR YOU!!! But for those of you who continue to have problems, PLEASE KEEP COMPLAINING!!!!

One suggestion -- If D*TV would come clean and ACKNOWLEDGE the problems and try to explain what happened and its proposed solutions, PERHAPS people would be a little more understanding and patient. However, thanks to all of this mysery and pretending "only a few" are having issues is such utter BS, it boggles the mind!!!

Now to those of you -- including YOU Eric -- who keep saying no one is "forced" to get the HR20, are you freakin' kidding me!!! Thank goodness, none of you are in charge of Marketing and/or Strategic Planning at D*TV!!! That's a great message to send to the marketplace -- buy our product and MAYBE it will work as advertised. But, if it doesn't (after making a 2-year commitment!!!), you will be put into D*TV CSR roulette land of suggested reboots, get new wires, change your settings -- all to no avail -- ultimately leading to a cycle of replacement boxes. Then, if you find this forum to vent your frustrations with this "D*TV hell", you are ADVISED that "no one forced you" to get the HR20!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :nono: :nono: :nono:

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
perilous said:
I love that those of you who "love my HR20" and "no problems with mine" can rationalize that people who are having problems -- MANY of them (TOO many for a consumer product in today's age) -- should not complain and/or vent in the ONLY forum dedicated to the HR20!!!! Gimme a freakin' break!! If your HR20 works perfectly...GOOD FOR YOU!!! But for those of you who continue to have problems, PLEASE KEEP COMPLAINING!!!!

One suggestion -- If D*TV would come clean and ACKNOWLEDGE the problems and try to explain what happened and its proposed solutions, PERHAPS people would be a little more understanding and patient. However, thanks to all of this mysery and pretending "only a few" are having issues is such utter BS, it boggles the mind!!!

Now to those of you -- including YOU Eric -- who keep saying no one is "forced" to get the HR20, are you freakin' kidding me!!! Thank goodness, none of you are in charge of Marketing and/or Strategic Planning at D*TV!!! That's a great message to send to the marketplace -- buy our product and MAYBE it will work as advertised. But, if it doesn't (after making a 2-year commitment!!!), you will be put into D*TV CSR roulette land of suggested reboots, get new wires, change your settings -- all to no avail -- ultimately leading to a cycle of replacement boxes. Then, if you find this forum to vent your frustrations with this "D*TV hell", you are ADVISED that "no one forced you" to get the HR20!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :nono: :nono: :nono:
For one... my name is Earl... just like the TV show.. and clearly in my "name"

Two.. as I posted in your new "thread".

Did DirecTV come to your house, and force the HR20 on you? Or did you call DirecTV and request the HR20? (or go to a local retailer and "purchase" it).

DirecTV has NOT started any swap out programs for HR10's for HR20's, nor have they eliminated the H20 as an option for MPEG-4 HD reception.

The HR20 is what it is.
And yes... bottom line, no one "forced" the HR20 on you.

And from the "quote" you included in your post...
I was "talking" to those people that where venting about people venting.
Asking that all these threads be deleted, or merged into another one.

DBSTalk, is NOT a *****/moan scream on the top of the mountain top, forum. We are discussion forum.

If you want help with your HR20... then ask
If you want to describe any problems you are having with the HR20... then post it.
If you want to discuss on how things should be improved on the HR20... then do so.

There is a HUGH difference between... "I don't like the HR20 because of x,y,z", and "It's a POS".

If you want to vent, for the sake of venting... there are several other forums that will allow un-undelrated venting.

All I am asking for here in "this" thread... is those that don't like the "Venting" to reply to it... thus fueling the anger and the bitterness between the users.

If you don't like the way we are running the forum here...
Talk to the Admin of the board.

We don't "block" or censor any of the posts here... and we don't want to be come that type of forum.... but we do want a constructive forum, where help can be found... and differences can be made.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.