DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
bonscott87 said:
For a regular SD station, if you output in 480i then you can still use your TV's stretch mode, it's what I do because I much prefer my TV's stretch mode and upscaling vs. the HR20.
How do you do this? My Pioneer 1140 has better stretch modes as well but even thought the HR20 is outputting 480i it forces you to select a "format" because you setup a 16:9 TV in the options. It never sends an unaltered 480i SD signal to the TV! If you cycle throught the 3 formats (I have native=on), pillar box actually adds piller boxes to the SD and formats it for 16:9 so when the TV trys to stretch it, the HR20 pillar boxes are considered part of the frame.

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, but I just got my new TV hooked up this weekend and have been frustrated by the lack to pass a completely unaltered signal to the TV. Maybe I am missing something...

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Appreciate all of the responses - my TV accepts pretty much any format thrown at it (480i,480p,720p & 1080i) through HDMI. The problem I am having seems to be with D*'s "format" modes. Once you setup the HR20 to tell it you have a 16:9 display it seems to add pillar boxes to the frame of any 4:3 SD material to make it fit a 16:9 frame - unless you select 480i stretch (or crop, etc.) in the HR20. and with Native=on you must pick one of the three format modes - for HD signals it really doean't matter, the issue is with SD signals on SD channels. I can't get a "pure" 4:3 SD signal to my TV to make use of it's better stretch modes (I even tested this by setting the HR20 to 4:3 display - this then works but the menus get weird).

I just wish it would allow you to pass the entire signal through unaltered and let the TV do all the scaling/stretch work based on your preference.

Am I missing something?

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
bonscott87 said:
When watching an SD program, say off Sci Fi or something, I'll hit the format button until I get to 480i stretch. At this point my TV auto switches to 480i upconvert mode and auto selects my favorite stretch mode.
Not to question your statement - but are you sure you are using your TV's stretch mode at that point? The reason I ask is once you select 480i stretch in the HR20 (at least for me) it stretches the signal to 16:9 before it even gets to your tv??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.