DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Mentor
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

You all have helped me greatly and I was hoping you might be able to again on my 1st post. I have a brand new Sony A2000 Rear Projection LCD TV which accepts a 1080p signal, which I'm sending over HDMI from the HR20 (I have also tried component cables with the same problem I'm about to explain).

When watching HDTV with the HR20, I notice a large amount of pixelation during times of motion. Sometimes it looks like a player turns into a "trail" like the old predator movie. This is mostly during a football (ESPN MOnday Night or Sunday NBC) or basketball (HD local fox sports net in the bay area or TNT broadcast) game, but is also noticable while watching local channels in HD, such as NBC's ER and Heroes. During stills and slow speeds, the picture looks spectacular!

The thing that troubles me is that my friend has the HR20 connected with the same exact HDMI cable to a two-year old Panasonic LCD rear projection TV, and his does not seem to have this problem (although I was only able to test it on the NFL ticket since he does not have HD locals yet as he has not installed his 5 LNB dish). The picture looks much sharper and really pops on my TV compared to his, but the "blur/pixelation" really bothers me? Is this the effect of D*'s "HD Lite"?

Please help, and give me your experiences. Thanks.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
Nateveli said:
Hi Guys,

You all have helped me greatly and I was hoping you might be able to again on my 1st post. I have a brand new Sony A2000 Rear Projection LCD TV which accepts a 1080p signal, which I'm sending over HDMI from the HR20 (I have also tried component cables with the same problem I'm about to explain).

When watching HDTV with the HR20, I notice a large amount of pixelation during times of motion. Sometimes it looks like a player turns into a "trail" like the old predator movie. This is mostly during a football (ESPN MOnday Night or Sunday NBC) or basketball (HD local fox sports net in the bay area or TNT broadcast) game, but is also noticable while watching local channels in HD, such as NBC's ER and Heroes. During stills and slow speeds, the picture looks spectacular!

The thing that troubles me is that my friend has the HR20 connected with the same exact HDMI cable to a two-year old Panasonic LCD rear projection TV, and his does not seem to have this problem (although I was only able to test it on the NFL ticket since he does not have HD locals yet as he has not installed his 5 LNB dish). The picture looks much sharper and really pops on my TV compared to his, but the "blur/pixelation" really bothers me? Is this the effect of D*'s "HD Lite"?

Please help, and give me your experiences. Thanks.
What resolutions do you have selected on the HR20? Do you have it set to "Native"? I have Sony LCD projection using HDMI. My setting are as follows:

Native
All resolutions except 480i

I don't get any pixelation.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
82 Posts
Nateveli said:
Hi Guys,

You all have helped me greatly and I was hoping you might be able to again on my 1st post. I have a brand new Sony A2000 Rear Projection LCD TV which accepts a 1080p signal, which I'm sending over HDMI from the HR20 (I have also tried component cables with the same problem I'm about to explain).

When watching HDTV with the HR20, I notice a large amount of pixelation during times of motion. Sometimes it looks like a player turns into a "trail" like the old predator movie. This is mostly during a football (ESPN MOnday Night or Sunday NBC) or basketball (HD local fox sports net in the bay area or TNT broadcast) game, but is also noticable while watching local channels in HD, such as NBC's ER and Heroes. During stills and slow speeds, the picture looks spectacular!

The thing that troubles me is that my friend has the HR20 connected with the same exact HDMI cable to a two-year old Panasonic LCD rear projection TV, and his does not seem to have this problem (although I was only able to test it on the NFL ticket since he does not have HD locals yet as he has not installed his 5 LNB dish). The picture looks much sharper and really pops on my TV compared to his, but the "blur/pixelation" really bothers me? Is this the effect of D*'s "HD Lite"?

Please help, and give me your experiences. Thanks.
Relax, it's not you. It's what is commonly referred to as the 8mm motion bug. It has nothing to do with your HR20 (the H20s have it too) it has to do with the way the OTA feed is encoded for DirecTV. They need to change the equipment on the ground where this is done. They must not have done your area yet. If you happen to be getting feeds from Philly then I can vouch that they have not been upgraded yet. BTW, it only happens on the MPEG4 channels. Those would be your local HD channels.

EDIT: I see you're in the Bay area. I thought they were already replaced. Can anyone confirm?

Snewo
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Twosted said:
What resolutions do you have selected on the HR20? Do you have it set to "Native"? I have Sony LCD projection using HDMI. My setting are as follows:

Native
All resolutions except 480i

I don't get any pixelation.
I have tried Native on and Native off with no difference. I have also tried all of the resolution outputs on the HR20 with the same issue. Anymore suggestions? I still would like to here from many others. Thanks!
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
snewo said:
Relax, it's not you. It's what is commonly referred to as the 8mm motion bug. It has nothing to do with your HR20 (the H20s have it too) it has to do with the way the OTA feed is encoded for DirecTV. They need to change the equipment on the ground where this is done. They must not have done your area yet. If you happen to be getting feeds from Philly then I can vouch that they have not been upgraded yet. BTW, it only happens on the MPEG4 channels. Those would be your local HD channels.

Snewo
That shouldn't affect ESPN or TNT though. And I live in his area and my locals are fine.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
snewo said:
Relax, it's not you. It's what is commonly referred to as the 8mm motion bug. It has nothing to do with your HR20 (the H20s have it too) it has to do with the way the OTA feed is encoded for DirecTV. They need to change the equipment on the ground where this is done. They must not have done your area yet. If you happen to be getting feeds from Philly then I can vouch that they have not been upgraded yet. BTW, it only happens on the MPEG4 channels. Those would be your local HD channels.

EDIT: I see you're in the Bay area. I thought they were already replaced. Can anyone confirm?

Snewo
Do you know if there is any schedule to have this done? Should the new dishes D* is launching help with this?
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
82 Posts
Twosted said:
That shouldn't affect ESPN or TNT though. And I live in his area and my locals are fine.
Strange since it REALLY sounds like the 8mm bug. I agree it shouldn't effect ESPN or TNT. And if your locals are fine then that rules it out completely.

How about AV equipment. Do you go straight fromthe receiver to the TV or do you dump it into an AV receiver?

Snewo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Do you only notice this on the MPEG4 1080i channels? If so then it may be the encoding bugs which D* is working on.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Twosted said:
That shouldn't affect ESPN or TNT though. And I live in his area and my locals are fine.
Twosted, are you watching the colts/patriots game right now? It is happening during the faster moving scenes constantly on this game.

Could signal strength have anything to do with it? Should I try to mess with that?
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
82 Posts
Nateveli said:
Do you know if there is any schedule to have this done? Should the new dishes D* is launching help with this?
No schedule is available since Earl was unable to find out when Philly is getting done. The new dishes would have no effect on this. But fromthe other posts you'll see we are starting to thinkg this isn't your issue. Have you tried component cables to rule out HDMI issues?

Snewo
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
82 Posts
Nateveli said:
Twosted, are you watching the colts/patriots game right now? It is happening during the faster moving scenes constantly on this game.

Could signal strength have anything to do with it? Should I try to mess with that?
Don't do anything crazy. How about DiscoveryHD Theater right now too.....see if is happening on both. Just curious.

Snewo
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PoitNarf said:
Do you only notice this on the MPEG4 1080i channels? If so then it may be the encoding bugs which D* is working on.
Yes, I notice it during the 1080 channels, just like the football game on right now.

I have the HDMI going directly to the TV and the audio going to my Sony Audio receiver through the optical cable, but just using the TV sound right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Nateveli said:
Could signal strength have anything to do with it? Should I try to mess with that?
No, signal strength doesn't matter. You either get a signal or you don't.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
Nateveli said:
Twosted, are you watching the colts/patriots game right now? It is happening during the faster moving scenes constantly on this game.

Could signal strength have anything to do with it? Should I try to mess with that?
Yea I am watching it right now. I am not getting any pixelation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Nateveli said:
Yes, I notice it during the 1080 channels, just like the football game on right now.

I have the HDMI going directly to the TV and the audio going to my Sony Audio receiver through the optical cable, but just using the TV sound right now.
Yes, but is it ONLY on 1080i channels? I'm thinking you're experiencing the 1080i encoding bugs, although your motion "trailing" explanation doesn't really seem to mesh with this. Is it more of a jittery motion and not a "trail"?
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
snewo said:
No schedule is available since Earl was unable to find out when Philly is getting done. The new dishes would have no effect on this. But fromthe other posts you'll see we are starting to thinkg this isn't your issue. Have you tried component cables to rule out HDMI issues?

Snewo
Yes, I have tried component cables and saw the same exact issues. I'm watching Discovery HD now, but I'm not sure if they will have anything moving fast enough to test it out. I must say, that channel looks to awesome. Try the Bikini vacation show on at night! :p
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
340 Posts
I was reading the manual online for your TV. Try going into the setup and turning the DRC mode to High Density and see what happens.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PoitNarf said:
Yes, but is it ONLY on 1080i channels? I'm thinking you're experiencing the 1080i encoding bugs, although your motion "trailing" explanation doesn't really seem to mesh with this. Is it more of a jittery motion and not a "trail"?
Yeah, probably more jittery. I don't think it is only 1080 since it happens on TNT, isn't TNT basketball 720p?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Nateveli said:
Yeah, probably more jittery. I don't think it is only 1080 since it happens on TNT, isn't TNT basketball 720p?
No, TNT HD has a native resolution of 1080i, but it is MPEG2. If you're experiencing the encoding bugs, you would only notice on the MPEG4 locals and RSNs.
 

·
Mentor
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Twosted said:
I was reading the manual online for your TV. Try going into the setup and turning the DRC mode to High Density and see what happens.
Ooh, I forgot about all the 1 million options on my TV. I will try that now. There are way too many combinations to try given all the options on my TV, but I will try that first. That is some good effort to look up my manual to my TV on the net. You are the man. Give me some time here to let you know if it worked. There is also a noise reduction setting I need to full with.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top