DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HR20 (I think it is a 700) (about 18 months old) running 0x254 FW, 129* F internal temp. Signal strength is over 90%.

When I'm watching live TV (HD or SD) I have no problems. However, when I am watching a recording, I often get serious pixelization or freezes or stretches of a black video with no audio. I have tried rebooting the box, but have not pulled the power for 15 min or so.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Is my box overheating? Is my box failing? is the hard drive failing?

What are my options here?

Thank you.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
The temp sounds a bit high. Is it in an enclosed cabinet or is it in a stack of other electronics? You might try rearranging things or adding some space for airflow. Also, are the problems always in the same spot on the recordings, or are they random? Do you have the same problems if you use trickplay on live TV? If you haven’t done so, you might try a reboot. In fact, I’d do a full power disconnect for 10 minutes or so.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is under my SlingBox Pro HD unit which runs HOT. I will try to re-arrange them so that I have better air movement.

The pixels, freezes and black screen are random, never in the same spot.

rudeney said:
The temp sounds a bit high. Is it in an enclosed cabinet or is it in a stack of other electronics? You might try rearranging things or adding some space for airflow. Also, are the problems always in the same spot on the recordings, or are they random? Do you have the same problems if you use trickplay on live TV? If you haven't done so, you might try a reboot. In fact, I'd do a full power disconnect for 10 minutes or so.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
farmdwg said:
It is under my SlingBox Pro HD unit which runs HOT. I will try to re-arrange them so that I have better air movement.

The pixels, freezes and black screen are random, never in the same spot.
I'd definitely try to get the internal temp down some, even just a few degrees would be good. If it keeps up, it could be a symptom of a bad hard drive.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the hard drive is on the way out. It is as simple as swapping out the drive with a new one if I don't care if I lose everything on it? Will the OS rebuild the drive for me?

Thanks.

rudeney said:
I'd definitely try to get the internal temp down some, even just a few degrees would be good. If it keeps up, it could be a symptom of a bad hard drive.

· Legend
206 Posts
Is this happening with SD as well as HD and is it local Sacramento channels or all the National programs as well?

I also live in the Sacramento DMA near to Modesto. I've had a HR20-700 for almost 2 years and and HR21-100 for several months. Both have sporatic heavy pixelization, freezes and blank screens but it seems t only be on the MPEG4 content from the HD Sac LIL local channels. My internal temps used to be in the upper 120's but now around 120 degrees.

It is not consistent but ABC channel 10 is the worst. Last week had many problems with NBC KCRA channel 3 programs Thursday night, Earl, The Office and ER were at times unwatchable. Live versus recorded content is sometimes different. I tried DirecTV for help but nothing changes. I gave up. Hope you have better luck.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Note that if your HR2x is a lease, then opening the cover violates the lease contract. Also, swapping drives on HR2x’s can be slightly more challenging than swapping a drive in a PC because they really were not intended for user servicing. You might try using an external eSATA drive. When connected (and rebooted), it will “override” the internal drive. It’s definitely easier (and less risky) than cracking the case, and you can switch back to the internal drive with all recordings intact by unplugging the eSATA drive and rebooting.

To answer your question, yes, replacing (or upgrading) the drive is as simple as swapping it out. The operating system and D* software are all on flash ROM on the main board. It will automatically reformat the new drive and ready it for use. Note that your “To Do” list is stored on the drive, so replacing it will mean all that has to be setup again. In fact, switching to eSATA would be the same case.

· 97% Complete
1,283 Posts
farmdwg said:
If the hard drive is on the way out. It is as simple as swapping out the drive with a new one if I don't care if I lose everything on it? Will the OS rebuild the drive for me?
Thanks.
Directv does not do drive swaps. If the hard drive fails, they will ship you another HD-DVR and you will need to return the bad HD-DVR. To drop the internal temp on the HR20, you could try an inverted laptop cooler (blows air up and away from DVR) powered by one of the USB connections. That dropped my internal temps from 127° to around 112°.

:)

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info. With my Slingbox Pro HD moved, the temps are still at 129*F.

As for the HR20, I bought the thing for $99. DirecTV reps still can't believe that when they look up my account. They always say no you have leased the box and I tell them to keep on reading.

So if the drive goes, all I need to do is crack it open. Something I'm not afraid of.

mcbeevee said:
Directv does not do drive swaps. If the hard drive fails, they will ship you another HD-DVR and you will need to return the bad HD-DVR. To drop the internal temp on the HR20, you could try an inverted laptop cooler (blows air up and away from DVR) powered by one of the USB connections. That dropped my internal temps from 127° to around 112°.

:)

· AllStar
81 Posts
I have the same thing happen occasionally but it is only on Local (Jax) HD channels and it happens on more then on DVR. If it is only occurring on the locals I would call D* and complain. It happened to me last night I had recorded Survivor this morning I started watching it and would freeze for a few seconds or if I try to do a 30 sec bump it would freeze.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
farmdwg said:
Thanks for all the info. With my Slingbox Pro HD moved, the temps are still at 129*F.

As for the HR20, I bought the thing for $99. DirecTV reps still can't believe that when they look up my account. They always say no you have leased the box and I tell them to keep on reading.

So if the drive goes, all I need to do is crack it open. Something I'm not afraid of.
You say you *bought* it for $99 and that it is owned and not leased (i.e. listed on your bill as "additional receiver" and not "leased receiver")? Hmm, by chance did you buy it a few months back on their website when they had the "hearts" deals? Well, I did the same thing and got a refurb HR20 for $99 and mine is also listed as "additional receiver". I wonder if this was an error, or if they were just trying to get rid of a bunch of old HR20's in stock.

· Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought this one back in January of 2007. So no, it wasn't a refurb unit.

rudeney said:
You say you *bought* it for $99 and that it is owned and not leased (i.e. listed on your bill as "additional receiver" and not "leased receiver")? Hmm, by chance did you buy it a few months back on their website when they had the "hearts" deals? Well, I did the same thing and got a refurb HR20 for $99 and mine is also listed as "additional receiver". I wonder if this was an error, or if they were just trying to get rid of a bunch of old HR20's in stock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.