DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded my equipment from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4. This involved swapping 942 and 811 receivers for the 722 and 222 models and upgrading the dishes on the roof.

Ever since the tech upgraded my dish and added a second dish looking at 61.5, most all of my HD channels consistently exhibit pixellation and sound breakup every few seconds. This only occurs on HD channels, and is visible on both 722 and 222 receivers.

My original dish sees the 110 and 119 birds, while the new second dish looks at 61.5 only.

My original dish, which always looked at 110 and 119, didn't change; I believe only the LNB was replaced by the tech.

When I had 942 and 811 boxes, all HD channels came in perfectly. I suspect the problem has something to do with the LNBs or connections on the roof.

Still, it's hard to believe that it only affects HD channels.

Any suggestions?

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
igleaner said:
I recently upgraded my equipment from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4. This involved swapping 942 and 811 receivers for the 722 and 222 models and upgrading the dishes on the roof.

Ever since the tech upgraded my dish and added a second dish looking at 61.5, most all of my HD channels consistently exhibit pixellation and sound breakup every few seconds. This only occurs on HD channels, and is visible on both 722 and 222 receivers.

My original dish sees the 110 and 119 birds, while the new second dish looks at 61.5 only.

My original dish, which always looked at 110 and 119, didn't change; I believe only the LNB was replaced by the tech.

When I had 942 and 811 boxes, all HD channels came in perfectly. I suspect the problem has something to do with the LNBs or connections on the roof.

Still, it's hard to believe that it only affects HD channels.

Any suggestions?
Probably one of the dish's is not aligned enough. Check which dish the HD channel comes off of. In particular try going to menu 6-1-1 while watching a channel and note the signal strength and satellite the programming is coming off of. Much of HD comes of 61.5 but some come off 110. You can see what some people are getting on a number of threads, but generally below 40 is low and below 25 is bad.

· Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The signal strength for both dishes is in the mid 50s range.

However, when watching the strength indicator on a problem HD channel, it momentarily drops about 5 points when the pixellation occurs. It only lasts for about a second, but never goes below 50. There is absolutely a clear line of sight for each dish - no trees or any other obstructions.

Is this a hardware or software issue? Since both receivers do the same thing, it's not the boxes. And each box uses different software.

By the way, most problems seem to come from the 110 satellite, and that dish is my original and has not changed in any way or been moved. However, I think the tech might have changed the LNB when I moved up to MPEG 4 equipment.

I'm about ready to cancel all my HD programing, as the stations are now unwatchable.

· Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
Before giving up I would have the dishes peaked again. It sounds like you could get a better signal if you see it drop when the pixellation occurs. Just because the dish aim was acceptable for SD programming does not mean it could not be improved. I would report it as a faulty install if you can't get a good PQ and have them come back and correct it.

· Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I first posted this problem, it has gotten worse.

The picture and sound breakups now affect most all my HD channels every few seconds. All SD stations are fine.

My signal strength is anywhere from 55 to 65, which seems plenty high.

Could it be a bad LNB or a bad F connector at the dish? This all started when the tech last upgraded my dishes to DPP when I switched to MPEG4 receivers.

· Hall Of Fame
2,010 Posts
Could be. Have the tech check it all out on Saturday.

· Icon
695 Posts
I have been having HD problems lately also. The 129 signal is all over the place. It was low to begin with, and is getting lower. Now it is below 10 and then back up, but never gets above 25. :-(

· Legend
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your problem is only on certain HD channels, but not on most of the other stations, there is a good probability it is a failing LNB.

Are you seeing the same problem on other HD receivers? If so, that confirms the LNB is bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.