DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,118 Posts
I can see why baseball has declined in popularity over the years. It seems the players are becoming greedy and throwing tantrums whenever things don't go as much their way as it can.

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The owners are just as bad. Well maybe just a few.

I was reading about the SF Giants and how they are worried that they might be in trouble if the season is shortened. They own and built their own stadium without taxpayer help (well they had some zoning help). If they miss the rest of the season, they will be having a tough time making the loan payments on the stadium. What a way to reward a team who didn't ask for millions of dollars from the local governments. :nono:

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
Originally posted by Jacob S
So their millions they make now is not enough? How much is ever going to be enough? Wouldnt they make less by going on strike and not working at all? Its better to make millions than nothing at all.
Probably not. If they go on strike this late in the season they only miss a few pay days while the owners miss the lucrative playoff and World Series money. The palyers get only a small slice of that and it goes to the participants.

· Godfather/Supporter
444 Posts
From what I understand, the owners got all their TV money from Fox up front this year. That's why the smart money is on a strike date of September 16 (the day after the next-to-last payday).

But today does seem like a positive development. Getting an agreement by this Friday will be tough, but there has been substantial movement in the last two weeks.

· Legend
228 Posts
Free agency was good for the players ... but not good for baseball. Owners spent too much money, when they vowed not to compete for each others players, they were found guilty of collusion. I still say there should be a silent agreement between owners that they don't buy other teams players ... but the owners have too much greed and money. Baseball has serious problems and worse yet .... Bud is still there!! :crying: :crying:

· Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
why the heck do these players want more and more money all of the time? what is up with this? they would lose more money than they would make if they strike would go on for too long, and not only that but lose even more from the effect this would cause. Another strike would really be fatal to baseball.

Wasnt they going to replace all the players during the last strike?

· Legend
228 Posts
Greedy owners - Greedy players = STRIKE

I am sick of the whole thing ... all it ever does is put more anger into the fan. Strikes, attitudes, owners, BUD, high ticket prices, steroids, small markets shares, lack of hustle, expensive food and beverages ...... anyone wonder why baseball is struggling?

· Damn you woman!
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See the problem with Baseball is that its not that way everywhere. Diamondbacks games are sold out and people are really getting on the bandwagon. A strike now will kill this since the team isn't getting any younger. Why should I have to pay for owners in KC and Miami to put up good teams. They should spend their own damn money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.