DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· AllStar
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I held off on this post for a few weeks into the college football season, but now I really need to make this plea:

PLEASE make the progress bar disappear more quickly when using '30 sec slip'! PLEASE!

Yes, I know (at one point, at least) it's on the Wish List.

And, yeah, I've read it doesn't appear if you switch to '30 sec skip'

And, yeah, I know you can make it go away by hitting PLAY a couple of times.

But, slip works better than skip for FF between plays (you can stop FF if they start a play before 30 sec - very common in CFB); needing to hit PLAY is just plain annoying.

This really shouldn't be that hard to fix, there are multiple acceptable options (e.g., don't show it at all, make the display time programmable like banners), and it would really improve the "experience".

So, DirecTV, please help us sports viewers (who spend all the extra $s for Game Plan, etc.) have a better experience with your DVRs. Please fix this soon!

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
As a work around, if you hit the Play or Exit button while the progress bar is up it will then go away.

Mike

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
Capmeister said:
I hit play, because if I accidentally hit exit just as it has gone away on its own, I exit the show. :)
Me too. I'll only use Exit on live TV. Almost always use Play though.

Mike

· AllStar
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MicroBeta said:
As a work around, if you hit the Play or Exit button while the progress bar is up it will then go away.

Mike
Yeah, I had mentioned I knew about that. And I use it (not much choice). It is a work around, but it is still an annoying extra step - especially since the Progress Bar provides no meaningful info (I'm only moving 30 secs!) and takes up a large part of the screen.

Plus, a large part of the time hitting it twice causes the bar to reappear.

For skipping commercials, the workaround is not a big deal. For going between plays in a football game, it's a needless PITA.

· AllStar
65 Posts
Thanks for the tip about pressing Play. I usually press Exit but if I time it wrong the banner goes away right before I press Exit and then I end up exiting the recording I'm watching... DOH!

MicroBeta said:

Mike

· Registered
21,543 Posts
miss_my_utv said:
Yes, I know (at one point, at least) it's on the Wish List.
Yup. It's still there:

OPTION for the PROGRESS BAR to clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or after the last ADVANCE

For those who haven't yet voted for it, please do so at the link below. TIA. /steve

· Hall Of Fame
1,876 Posts
Starchy77 said:
And miss out on the DirecTV ad??? I don't think so!

Seriously, though, why are they advertising themselves on these machines? Don't the people that are using ALREADY have directv???
That's been my thought exactly.

We already are sold on DirecTV, you don't need to beat us over the head with it everytime we FF, REW, etc.

· Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Starchy77 said:
And miss out on the DirecTV ad??? I don't think so!

Seriously, though, why are they advertising themselves on these machines? Don't the people that are using ALREADY have directv???
No kidding.

I guess it's for all those cable customers watching bartenders using trickplay during Sunday Ticket games at their favorite watering holes. :)

· Registered
5,915 Posts
bwaldron said:
No kidding.

I guess it's for all those cable customers watching bartenders using trickplay during Sunday Ticket games at their favorite watering holes. :)
You know it!

and it is more subliminal advertising, IE you see it all the time, get used to it, and think about it much more whenever the topic of TV comes up. Sounds stupid, but it is very true for most of the public.

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
miss_my_utv said:
...PLEASE make the progress bar disappear more quickly when using '30 sec slip'! PLEASE!...

...So, DirecTV, please help us sports viewers (who spend all the extra $s for Game Plan, etc.) have a better experience with your DVRs. Please fix this soon!
:biggthump +1

· AllStar
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spiky said:
You could switch to 30sec skip instead of slip. No bar at all. And faster.
I had mentioned I knew about that, also. Unfortunately, 'slip' works better for skipping between plays in a college football game, since the time isn't always 30secs. I do remember 'skip' (on an HDTivo) working pretty well for that purpose for pro games, but I rarely watch those.

I've also found that I prefer slip, even though slower, for commercial skipping, since on the channels I typically watch (e.g., Speed), the overall time of a commercial break seems pretty variable.

Again, I'm mainly using the "skip the dead time between plays in a football game" usage (not commercial skip) as the root of my annoyance with that damn bar...

· Registered
21,543 Posts
AirRocker said:
I'm in the habit of just hitting exit after trickplay.. but as others have pointed out... if you wait too long, you exit the recording... So I also wouldn't mind the progress bar going away a little faster...
If I just want to clear the PROGRESS BAR, I re-hit PLAY after TRICKPLAY, including 30SLIP, where I only have to hit it once to clear the BAR.

For other OSD's, I just hit the same key that brought up the graphic (MENU, LIST, INFO, MINIGUIDE). The only OSD key that doesn't behave as a toggle is GUIDE, and we have a Wish List request to make that so.

So except for GUIDE, I only use EXIT as a "LIVE TV" button.

/steve

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.