DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

This site is a wonderful source of very informed information. Thank you.

I would like your advice on my situation: All equipment already installed and ready to go. Everything is mounted, plugged in, and is functional. I have an old DVR receiver (SD-DVR40). I have a phase 3 dish (18 Inch x 20 Inch Triple LNB Multi-Satellite). I am interested only in getting a new account activated with this receiver for standard definition TV. I want to incur the minimum obligation possible, month-to-month with no contract would be ideal. I do not have a need for any other offers, packages, receivers, etc., that might be offered that would incur additional obligation. I am interested in a minimal cost package.

Can you please offer your thoughts on this as well as any advice you might have for me? (Feel free to offer alternative approaches if what I would like is simply too foolish to consider in your opinion. I am very open to suggestions.)

Thank you all very much.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

I'm not aware of any DIRECTV service that can be purchased without upfront commitment, but it may be possible. It's not a question that's asked around here a lot.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

I suspected it might be an uncommon situation and an uncommon question. If some degree of commitment is required, I will live with that, but I want to make sure I come as close as possible to my goal. It is not clear to me what the absolute minimum obligation/commitment is for my situation. I suspect folks here will be able to set me straight and keep me from doing anything too unwise.

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
Call them and ask, noone here can directly speak for any scenario that Directv may or may not accomodate.

Are you sure the used equipment is free and clear? Is it your equipment, ie from possibly an earlier stint with Directv. If it is you are NOT a new customer, you are a returning customer.

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
This is definitely a different situation now. Did you previously have an old account that is now inactive? Probably the simplest option would be to get that account reactivated with those receivers added to it.

Other than that the problem is the system always wants to setup an install when a new account gets created. I think if you can find a rep that wants to work with you they can cancel that install and just activate your existing equipment but no idea what that would do for a commitment.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your replies. Let me clarify that I have never been a customer, have never had an account, and the used receiver is absolutely free and clear. It is an owned unit from a friend who is a long-standing customer and it is outdated for his needs. He has sold it to me.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,484 Posts
I don't know of any back doors. Only DIRECTV can tell you what they are willing to do for you as what they offer will likely depend on your credit record and what payment method you are planning to use.

Chances are you're better off going for a new customer deal as you'll likely be subject to the same down-sides with none of the up-sides.

You need to be very specific about what "minimal" programming package you want. If all you want is locals, you may be able to swing it with your current setup with just an account setup fee. If you want the Family Package or higher, go for a new customer deal and get a modern receiver and a card that doesn't need to be transferred.

DISH Network may have a more attractive offer for the budget conscious subscriber.

Please let us know how it turns out.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
hooshoops said:
Thank you for your replies. Let me clarify that I have never been a customer, have never had an account, and the used receiver is absolutely free and clear. It is an owned unit from a friend who is a long-standing customer and it is outdated for his needs. He has sold it to me.
1. In order to use this receiver AT ALL, you will need to get a new access card for it. DirecTV will not activate a card that was used on another account. There are good reasons for this: a few folks here have reported that they managed to convince a new or ignorant CSR to activate a previously-used card, which resulted in that person being responsible for charges on the old account. DirecTV doesn't want that, and neither do you, but if an old card is activated against policy, YOU would be responsible.

To get a new card, call DirecTV and ask for the Access Card department. You will be charged $20, and it will be sent to you by FedEx 2nd-Day Air. HOWEVER, there could be a delay; a few months ago, DirecTV got a bad batch of cards from NDS (their security provider) and it delayed things by almost 30 days.

2. DirecTV business rules state that new residential accounts must have a NEW receiver as the primary receiver. For nearly everyone, this means a leased receiver and a programming commitment. You *could* purchase a basic receiver from DirecTV ($149) to own, and use that as your primary receiver, and add your DVR as the secondary, to get your account going. You would then have no commitment. You could even deactivate the new receiver, and then sell it if you want, though honestly, given that you can get them for free on the lease agreement, it will have little value.

As several folks suggested, you would probably be better off taking the lease deal and commitment and getting new equipment, unless you know going in that you won't be keeping the service for very long. Virtually no one these days chooses to buy receivers instead of leasing; it's almost always a losing proposition, even with the Early Termination Fee.

· Godfather
499 Posts
By set up and ready to go, you mean that you can receive/watch channel 200, the Directv features and instructions channel?

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IIP - Thank you. This is exactly the sort of thing I was worried about. I had no idea an old card that was paired with the owned receiver and appropriately transferred to a new owner could not be used. It sounds like avoiding a contract may not be the most useful way to go about this.

2dogz - Yes, that is exactly what I mean. No problems with that.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Basically, the service commitment is used to make sure D* gets a certain amount of revenue to cover their costs of installing new equipment. Since they would not incur any costs (other than a few minutes of CSR time) to get you activated, they shouldn’t require a commitment. Unfortunately, their current business model doesn’t really account for people like you that are self-installs with owned equipment so it’s unlikely that they will be able to allow you to become a new subscriber without a commitment. Given D*’s Carousel of Policy, it’s remotely possible that you might find someone who can active a new account for you without a commitment, but I would not expect that.

If you do end up being required to agree to a service commitment, then my advice is to negotiate for better/more receivers, DVR’s, credits, deals, etc. In other words, make them earn that revenue you are being required to commit to just as they would with a typical new customer where they would have to install new equipment. Also, D* offers referral credits, so if you have a friend who is a current D* subscriber, you can both get a $50 credit through that program (your friend must contact D* to setup the referral). There are sometimes other discounts for AAA members, Costco members, etc. Check into those if you are a member.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.