DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I'm using DirecTV but am seriously considering switching to Dish for HD. But no vendor in my town seems to have a Dish hookup I can actually look at.

Would some Dish subscriber be kind enough to describe the Dish channel guide user interface?

1. In particular, DirecTV lets me pull up a brief program summary, superimposed on the picture, by using the "info" button on my remote. Does Dish work the same way?

2. Could I customize the Dish channel guide to suppress channels I don't care about?

3. Does the receiver switch promptly between viewing a program and viewing the guide?

Thanks in advance for any helpful response.

· Mentor
36 Posts
The answer to all three of your questions is yes. The added benefit with Dish Network is that you can also view the channel you are watching in a small window while looking at the guide.

· Legend
162 Posts
Virginia Bill said:
Currently I'm using DirecTV but am seriously considering switching to Dish for HD. But no vendor in my town seems to have a Dish hookup I can actually look at.
I'm a recent convert from DirecTV. As RWATTS posted, yes to all 3 of your questions, with a caveat on #3... it depends on what you consider "promptly". The guide comes up almost instanteously, and it is a whole lot more responsive than my DirecTivo box. When you select a channel, the video takes 1 to 2 seconds to switch over, just like with DirecTV. However, some expect "promptly" to be more along the lines of cable, which gets the video up much faster.

I am glad that I made the switch. Keep in mind that Dish does offer a 30 day money back, so if you're not happy, you can go back to DirecTV (as long as you don't take their dish down when you install Dish).

· Hall Of Fame
2,497 Posts
cornflakes said:
When you select a channel, the video takes 1 to 2 seconds to switch over, just like with DirecTV. However, some expect "promptly" to be more along the lines of cable, which gets the video up much faster.
The time it takes to switch to a different channels depends (some what) on how you input the channel number. A delay is especially noticable if you are switching to a local channel and and are only inputing one number from the remote. For example, if you are switching to local channel 7 and input 7 from the remote you will notice a delay but if you input 007 the switch will be almost immediate.

On the DISH HD receivers remember that channels can be from one to five digits (locals are five digits to allow for digital subchannel) and in some channel ranges (like locals) more digits will mean a faster channel change.

· Cool Member
13 Posts
Quote: "more digits will mean a faster channel change."

You do you realize that you don't have to enter digits and wait, you can, for example, press 7 and then press the Select button to go immediately to the channel.

-Norm

· Legend
115 Posts
Virginia Bill said:
Thanks to everyone for responding. I'll start working on setting up my Dish installation now.
Hi Bill!
Just letting you know that if you call Dish's 800 number and discuss things with them, they can still set you up with an installer even though they may not be from YOUR town. I know the installer that set me up came from a town about 3 hours away. not sure why.

I'm a recent DirecTV convertee too and I'll never look back!!

· Icon
522 Posts
I never watch live TV since I got record and playback ability.

During playback, its easy to still watch playback, have the guide displayed, and progrma it to record.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.