DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Godfather
284 Posts
I'm getting crap from my wife daily on the HR20. I commonly hear "why do we need HD anyway?" or "why does it do that all the time?" (referring to it pixelating big time or the audio cutting out).

I can live with the pixelation occasionally, and I think this is a known problem and is being addressed by replacing the mpeg4 equipment on the directv side.

However, MY beef (and my wife has complained about this too) is the complete lockups of the HR20. At least 4-5 times now, we will be watching a show and the playback will just freeze. If I rewind or pause, I can delete the show, but if I let it play for a while or try to FFWD through it, the box locks up. It happens at the same time in the show each time. I've also had it lock up when I go to play a show from the MyVOD menu.

So, in the middle of recording one of our shows, it locks up and requires a reset which:

a) deletes the program guide data (they really need to make the guide data persistent or put it on NVM)

b) means I miss 10 minutes of the show it's recording since it takes FOREVER to boot up.

c) I'm sure it's not good for the unit to be forcefully resetting it all the time, at least not for the hard disk.

To me, these are fatal issues that need to be resolved ASAP. A DVR is, afterall, supposed to record without issue. I simply do not feel comfortable with the HR20 or trust it to record stuff properly. Thankfully I have my R10 in the bedroom recording duplicates of the shows in the (likely) event that the HR20 craps itself.

·
Godfather
284 Posts
tstarn said:
Agree completely.

But be careful complaining about the HR-20 on this forum, because I've done it many times so far (for exactly the reasons you outlined), and sooner or later, you'll be chastized for being a whiner who doesn't realize how good you have it because D* has given you this brilliant new piece of hardware.
Well, people can call me a whiner all the want, but the reality of the situation is, the HR20 has issues. I can understand this, and I'm being patient waiting for fixes. However, it gets difficult to be patient when my wife is complaining nightly about the new unit. :/

There are legitimate issues with the HR20, and I just hope D* is aware of them and fixing them. For those out there with the "freeze" at the start of the program complaining about that, I would HAPPILY live with that if it were the only problem. But a complete lockup of the box, coupled with the loss of the guide data and 10 minutes of the show(s) being recorded is just absurd.

·
Godfather
284 Posts
finaldiet said:
Got an idea! when something happens to our programs, just have wives call DTV. I bet it wouldn't take them long to get things fixed!!:D
Haha! I suggested that to my wife, to which she responded "No, YOU wanted HD. So you call." :lol: :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.