DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
32... and sure I was a child who had Prodigy... 2400 Baud combo back from Sears...
I forgot all about Prodigy, I had that too back in the day!

Nothing better than a VIC20 with a 300 baud modem (actually dial the phone and put the receiver on the modem) and Compuserve to play text based adventure games ;)

Doug

·
Godfather
322 Posts
Another guy with a low Wife Acceptance Factor here... Dr. Phil had some guests on that she REALLY wanted to see, but it locked up 16 minutes in. Unfortunately, I didn't redundify the recording with either the HR-10 or the DVD-R, so it's gone. Any of you have Dr. Phil from last Tuesday??? Or is there some way to unlock the last 44 minutes?

I appreciate the diverse display modes and the fact it outputs 480i thru S-video simultaneous with HD, and one-touch record, but other than that the HR-10 is still superior.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
deddleman said:
I took the easy way out and left the DirecTivo SD unit to my wife, she really doesn't care as much about picture quality as she does reliability. Typical female perspective for more things than just HD ;)

I look at it as a chance to get my own PVR. She has filled the DirecTivo up to about 95% capacity with Dr. Phil, Oprah, and cooking shows. She won't delete the Dr. Phil episodes because she thinks the parenting advice will be handy as the kids get older. Whenever I try to set up a recording it says there is not enough space and I have to spend 10 minutes trying to find something to delete (Dr. Phil is off limits, although I have snuck a couple of deletes in there when my Battlestar Gallactica was threatened ).

So her plan is to store the Tivo up with old episodes for 5 to 10 years and be constantly having to make space for new recordings :confused: I got her a DVD-R to archive the stuff but the thought of making 100 hours of recordings real-time doesn't sound too fun and with two small children we really don't have the time for this undertaking. I had thought about hacking the Tivo so I could archive the recordings using the PC, but it would not help for already recorded shows.

Now, she can deal with the full hard drive herself and I can have a HR20 with complete control what is recorded on it.

Eventually, when the HR20 becomes stable, I'll replace her Tivo with another HR20. Believe or not, she actually prefers the HR20 to the Tivo, except for the lack of auto-correction when FF through commercials. When she gets her own HR20, I'll probaby set up a 750GB eSata for her and she can store a decade's worth of Dr. Phils on it if she wants. I just hope Dr. Phil and Oprah never go HD, the 750GB won't be enough then :nono2:

Doug
Exactly my plan, keep the HR-20 for myself (poker, sports, movies) and she can have the R10 all to herself. She loves that idea. Can't even understand this jones for HD. If you missed the piece I wrote about it, check this link out, http://www.tvpredictions.com/toms100606.htm

In fact, as you can see in an earlier post, I even went out and bought two more used D* SD Tivos (a Hughes and and R10) on ebay, so even if the current one breaks, she'll have two more backups.

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
deddleman said:

Nothing better than a VIC20 with a 300 baud modem (actually dial the phone and put the receiver on the modem) and Compuserve to play text based adventure games ;)

Doug
My first PC was a Kaypro. Remember those 'portables?' They were akin to the first portable (non-box) cell phones (those bricks you talked into). Man, we're dinosaurs.

·
Banned
686 Posts
deddleman said:

My first home computer was a Wyse 50 dumb terminal connected to a 300 baud manual dial modem. Call the BBS on the phone, then hit the big red CONNECT button on the modem. The finest from Radio Shack!

·
Legend
176 Posts
tstarn said:
Exactly my plan, keep the HR-20 for myself (poker, sports, movies) and she can have the R10 all to herself. She loves that idea. Can't even understand this jones for HD. If you missed the piece I wrote about it, check this link out, http://www.tvpredictions.com/toms100606.htm

In fact, as you can see in an earlier post, I even went out and bought two more used D* SD Tivos (a Hughes and and R10) on ebay, so even if the current one breaks, she'll have two more backups.
My wife loves HD, she has told me several times that she will watch something just because it is HD and looks so good.

Of course my wife has also been heard to say in July "I can't wait 'til football season.":kisscheek

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
My wife can't stand a show that's not in HD. When watching Sunday Ticket and if it's a game not in HD she immediately complains it's not in HD.

But as with joejhawk she is nuts about hockey and loves her football too as well as gets into all my "gadgets" and anything Sci Fi. Gotta be the reason I married her. :icon_da:

·
Icon
981 Posts
I hate to say this but i've had the HD 10-250 tivo for over a year and i always have problems with recording HD on ABC programs like desperate housewives and lost, in that the screen will go black for several seconds i think the problem must be at the ABC broadcast end since you guys with the HR20s seem to have similar problems as my HD tivo.

·
1960'S NOSTALGIA
213 Posts
bonscott87 said:
My wife can't stand a show that's not in HD. When watching Sunday Ticket and if it's a game not in HD she immediately complains it's not in HD.

But as with joejhawk she is nuts about hockey and loves her football too as well as gets into all my "gadgets" and anything Sci Fi. Gotta be the reason I married her. :icon_da:
My wife enjoys basebal and football with me (am I lucky or what) and she
really likes even better on our 2 Panasonic plasma tvs...42" in bed room
and the 50" in living room...all the HD programs are great and the football
games are even better..by the way, my wife can tell you what the penalty
is going to when when a flag is thrown by the officiating crew most of the
time as she knows about holding, off sides, personal fouls....in baseball,
she knows a lot here too....is great to have a wife who enjoys tv as much
as I do, especially now in HD locals and other HD programming.....also, never
had any problems with my new HR20-700 with my HDMI hook ups for sound
and picture as hooked up to Pioneer VSX-74 Elite and Bose 1300 speakers system...fantastic sound to go with picture....

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
fdeitz said:
I notice you are also in the Washington, DC area - and I see that same problem with channel 7 (ABC) here. Every time I record a show on it - at least once during the show there is one of those occurances of breakups like that.
Glad to hear it's not just me. All content coming out of ABC has at least a couple of pixelation sessions per recording. I still have my OTA connected to my HTPC for backup when the pixelations hit or last more than a couple of seconds. Apparently they're working on fixing this, just a matter of them getting around ot our area.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Greywall said:
Glad to hear it's not just me. All content coming out of ABC has at least a couple of pixelation sessions per recording. I still have my OTA connected to my HTPC for backup when the pixelations hit or last more than a couple of seconds. Apparently they're working on fixing this, just a matter of them getting around ot our area.
I'm glad to hear it's not just me too - thanks to both you and patsrule316 who is also in Northern Virginia. I don't have any way of getting OTA currently so it's also good to know that this isn't a problem with the OTA signal. Well, hopefully they'll fix the DC area soon!

·
Legend
159 Posts
dagztwo3 said:
No Desperate Housewives for my wife to watch. Her exact words: "I HATE THIS DVR!"
I don't believe it. No way a female uses the acronym"DVR" in her rant. I'm guessing it was, "I hate this P.O.S.", or "I hate this new effen Tivo" with a strong implication that you're somehow responsible for making it not work right and that there will be no lovin' 'til things improve.

·
Legend
152 Posts
spolaski said:
I don't believe it. No way a female uses the acronym"DVR" in her rant. I'm guessing it was, "I hate this P.O.S.", or "I hate this new effen Tivo" with a strong implication that you're somehow responsible for making it not work right and that there will be no lovin' 'til things improve.
In my home it would be "I hate YOU for buying this POS DVR" Hey, at least she includes me. If I hear silence for more than 5 minutes, I know I am in sheep dip. :nono2:

·
Legend
176 Posts
Marcia_Brady said:
If it were me and I was angry about the unit that my husband purchased I would simply say "I hate you."

;)
That will be coming shortly if this doesn't get fixed soon!

·
AllStar
83 Posts
My wife was on fire when desperate houswives was replaced with a message from directv stating "We are working on the problem, No need to call us". I got the entire list of fcc banned words aimed at myself and the hr20 for the fact that she had to watch DH in SD. Then the next hour the same thing happened during Brothers and Sisters.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.