DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few unwatchables yesterday so I thought I'd call D* to report them and to find out if they had any info on the next release. I got some "dude" sounded about as board as I've ever heard a person and was basically useless. So the question becomes, why do I call them, or should I even bother anymore???? He had no idea when the next release date would be. I figure Earl would know better than 'dude' and would have posted it here. He may or may not have noted the issue in my account and if he did does it go anywhere or just sit there as a reference for the next board D* representative who answers my call? I'm about to reach my limit, and my wife reached it weeks ago.

Z

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
At this point, IMO you definitely should call them for two reasons:

1) Ranting out loud to Tier 1 CSR will make you feel better
2) Once you get to a real support person, they will document your frustration and pain so that if you try to get out of your contract, you have a paper trail.

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lamontcranston said:
At this point, IMO you definitely should call them for two reasons:

1) Ranting out loud to Tier 1 CSR will make you feel better
2) Once you get to a real support person, they will document your frustration and pain so that if you try to get out of your contract, you have a paper trail.
While I enjoy ranting as much as the next guy, I feel as if these guys are just numb to it and don't care anymore. Having been the guy on the other end of the phone, I know he's just some 20 something, working for 22.5 a year looking for a better job where he doesn't get yelled at 8 hours a day.

A side note, he did recognize the name when I mentioned DBSTalk, but didn't follow me when I related my issues to him using the 'standard' names that we use here. I would think that this page would be required reading for every D* representative each morning. If I worked there, I'd be on here first thing to a) see if we'd done a release the night before. b) see what it broke. c) find out how many people's Heros didn't record to determine how busy my day is going to be.

Z

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
ZDawg said:
I would think that this page would be required reading for every D* representative each morning. If I worked there, I'd be on here first thing to a) see if we'd done a release the night before. b) see what it broke. c) find out how many people's Heros didn't record to determine how busy my day is going to be.

Z
I agree and doubtless it would be a better company if techies, not money men ran it, or if the people at the bottom gave a daing. But as you said, they don't.

I've been a Tier 1 CSR too and I've been ranted at enough that I feel I may have earned the right to go off on someone who is paid to take my abuse. I never make it personal, make that clear right off, but sometimes I do rant and sometimes I do feel better.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
But, it is a huge waste of my time. I don't bother calling anymore, I just don't have the time. I can check in here and get expert (Earl) information in far less time than it will take me to go through the vioce mail maze and CSR script.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
IF (handy little word) you have any intention of either asking for a discount, refund, leave D* before the contract is up, or other favor from D* in the future, call and have them create that paper trail. Maybe not on every little thing, but anytime you've missed an important recording, or had several go bad, or something along those lines.

If, on the other hand, you are fairly certain you will never leave and not need a discount because of this issue, then logging (with good details) them here will help everyone solve the problems sooner.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Godfather
300 Posts
tibber said:
IF (handy little word) you have any intention of either asking for a discount, refund, leave D* before the contract is up, or other favor from D* in the future, call and have them create that paper trail. Maybe not on every little thing, but anytime you've missed an important recording, or had several go bad, or something along those lines.

If, on the other hand, you are fairly certain you will never leave and not need a discount because of this issue, then logging (with good details) them here will help everyone solve the problems sooner.

Cheers,
Tom
Hey, this is about a month ago, but I called to complain about a HR20 problem and the rep told me I was mistaken with the name. It's a H20, they dont have a HR20. Can I speak to someone else please, can yuo transfer me to the hd support group? Well yes, but first I need to know what device your calling about so i can note it. SCREAM.. I hung up and got someone else who knew.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
flipper2006 said:
Hey, this is about a month ago, but I called to complain about a HR20 problem and the rep told me I was mistaken with the name. It's a H20, they dont have a HR20. Can I speak to someone else please, can yuo transfer me to the hd support group? Well yes, but first I need to know what device your calling about so i can note it. SCREAM.. I hung up and got someone else who knew.
back in October, I spent 90 minutes on the phone with a CSR as she talked me through editing the Channels I Receive (a feature not enabled on the HR20). She finally admitted to me that she was working on an older model (r10, I think) as they didn't provide HR20's for the CSR's to work with.:confused:

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
And as of yesterday it was taking 30-45 minutes to get to talk with anyone. This was just to deactivate one receiver and activate another.

·
Legend
129 Posts
Here's a question maybe one of you can answer...

Why is it that when you call D*, the automated answer system gives you your phone number and asks if it is correct, but then the first thing a (real Person) CSR always asks is "Your phone # starting with area code first"? Obviously it's not keeping any record.

D*'s automated answering system is one of the lamest I've ever called to date.
They only give you 3 options to speak to be "so called" properly directed.:rolleyes:

What a waste of time!

Sorry for the rant (God that felt good)
Back To Topic

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
I don't know why, but it seems many call centers are having problems sending caller ID and other verified information to the call center agents screens. Sure, there is a bit of programming in there required, but it saves the agent, the customer, and the company so much time, money (in wages and phone bills). And it just looks much more professional in my mind. :)

But that usually is low on the totem pole for the call center people to code after updating the application with the latest deal of the week.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Legend
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, I had two IKD recordings today and am on the phone with D* to log them. Here is a brief of the discussion

D*- Who do I have the pleasure to speak with today?
Z- Give my name.
D* - How can I help you today?
Z - I had two cases of your unwatchable recording bug today, the ones that go to keep delete at startup, and had to reboot the system. When I re-booted them the recording were gone. I had two cases of the unwatchable bug yesterday, did a re-boot and they were also cleared.
D* - So your issue is that your box is deleting recording when you re-boot it?
Z - Slapping self on head - Explains to D* the two different type of unplayable recordings and that the HR20 will clear them on re-boot.
D* - you have a DVR box?
Z - Again slapping self on head - Yes.
D* - This is a technical problem, I will notate you account and transfer you to technical services.

You can't make this stuff up folks... I'm going to start recording them and link them here....

Z

·
Icon
869 Posts
ZDawg said:
So, I had two IKD recordings today and am on the phone with D* to log them. Here is a brief of the discussion

D*- Who do I have the pleasure to speak with today?
Z- Give my name.
D* - How can I help you today?
Z - I had two cases of your unwatchable recording bug today, the ones that go to keep delete at startup, and had to reboot the system. When I re-booted them the recording were gone. I had two cases of the unwatchable bug yesterday, did a re-boot and they were also cleared.
D* - So your issue is that your box is deleting recording when you re-boot it?
Z - Slapping self on head - Explains to D* the two different type of unplayable recordings and that the HR20 will clear them on re-boot.
D* - you have a DVR box?
Z - Again slapping self on head - Yes.
D* - This is a technical problem, I will notate you account and transfer you to technical services.

You can't make this stuff up folks... I'm going to start recording them and link them here....

Z
My life has been a lot more peaceful when I just decided to give up on calling D* all together. If I have problems, I just post them on here. I have had issues with the pixelation on local network mpeg4. Turns out the local engineer for the station was on the board and has a direct feed to D*. Within 24 hours the problem was solved. My blood pressure lowered just from not calling anymore.

Getting the credit is not even worth my frustration and time anymore.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
I called them today for the first time because I'm laying the groundwork for demanding a refund if need be. But there's absolutely nothing they will be able to tell me that will help me fix the problem, nor will me calling them do anything to help them resolve the problem.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,482 Posts
ZDawg said:
A side note, he did recognize the name when I mentioned DBSTalk, but didn't follow me when I related my issues to him using the 'standard' names that we use here.
Comparing his help to that of a recognized third party isn't going to win favor with any CSR. It is best that you use what you learn here to document your problem in painstaking detail and make sure they get it all down. They don't need to know that you're looking elsewhere for solutions and I'm sure they don't find it endearing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.