DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mentor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm still in the planning phase of my intended move from CATV to DTV. I'm pretty anal about my wiring so I'm going to buy my own RG6 (solid copper core from SolidSignal) and run it myself for the inside stuff. I'm going through my basement to feed two rooms. These lines will be home runs (one 45ft and one 35 ft) to a board I will mount in one corner of the basement -for the installer to mount the splitter to.

This mounting board will be very near some existing holes that go all the way through my house. I had a self installed DTV system a LONG time ago (must have been 11-12 years ago?). When I went to CATV years ago I filled these holes with silicone. I figure it will be simple to drill one of these out. Incidentally the only reason I left DTV (then mainly known as RCA 18inch) is because I got tired of waiting for them to resolve the court battle that would allow them to give me the Network feeds. Ultimately they LOST that battle and it would be many years before the locals here started uplinking to the sats.

Anyway in my backyard on the other side of this RG6 sized hole is a 4x6 post mounted in the ground about 8 inches from the house (and yes I DID use concrete). I had mounted the 18inchers j-arm/foot thing to that and I got signal strength back then of 88-94. If anything the tree situation around here is a little better than back then as some trees that may have affected LOS have been removed. There is still a 75foot tree a couple of blocks away that IS in the direction of the SATs but I THINK the dish will angle over it. That tree does show as a RED-DOT on dishpointer.com but the info on the pop-up says 147ft. So I'm OK -right?

So my plan is to dig up that massive 4x6 and plant a proper 2inch diameter galvanized pole (also from solidsignal.com) in the same hole (along with quick crete). All the installer will need to do is mount the dish, align, mount splitter, connect and hook up receivers.

So a couple of questions:

1) Since my pole will be so close to the house does the cable from dish to house hole still need buried under ground (6 inches I guess) or can it just "drape across" to house? If it needs buried can I lay a piece of schedule 40 PVC in the trench and have it angle up at both sides (pole and house) and go ahead and bury that and then installer can shove the cable through it when he arrives?

2) Do I need a power outlet at my mounting board in basement or can the inserter thing be behind one receiver?

3) Anyone know of a certified DTV dealer anywhere near me (Evansville, IN 47714). Google searches turn up nothing but web dealers that don't really have shops around here. I really wouldn't mind paying a small fee to have a current DTV installer do a site survey of my yard before I do the work.

I am tempted to just do the whole damn thing myself. I did about 20 or 30 back in the old days and I currently have a side job repairing/upgrading PCs so I'm not afraid of tech work. I'm just a little leery of these new multi-sat setups that I know little about. I did download an install manual from directv's website the other day and the dang thing looked like it was written about 10 years ago as it had NO MENTION of any of the newer tech like SWiMs and all that. So that makes me think DTV doesn't really want any self-installs.

If anyone made it this far thanks for reading!

:D

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
1. You could leave the cable lying on the ground if you want, but I would recommend the conduit with sweeps on each end. Make sure to tape up the ends before burying to keep dirt/concrete out.

2. The PI can go in either location, though I prefer to put it at the wiring location when possible, as it's less likely to get messed with there. You'd be amazed at how many people unplug their PI to vacuum or whatever and can't figure out why none of their TVs work. But it's your house; put it where you want it.

3. Can't help you there. Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
The newer HD dish is much larger than the old 18" dish. My concern is that a pole that close to your house might not give enough clearance for the Slimline dish. The standard "J" mount that comes with the dish provides 12" of clearance from the center line of the mast to the mounting plate. My dish (Seattle area) is angled such that it uses better than 6" of that clearance. I would suggest placing your pole 12" from the house.

·
Mentor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do -that shouldn't be too hard.

·
Mentor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long can the ground wire run be? It's a tiny house (about 25ft each side -perfect square)....the cable entry point is about 18 feet from the house ground/electrical service entry. Even if I go with a roof mount the cable drop/entry will still be in this same position.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
WebHobbit said:
How long can the ground wire run be?
The ground wire, from the ground block to the ground source, needs to be shorter than the shortest coax cable from the ground block to the first device on the line (usually a receiver). Electricity will take the shortest path to ground, so you want to make sure that's your ground wire, not through your equipment.

·
Mentor
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm good then. One Home Run line will be 35 feet & the other 45.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.