DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI...
It's really important to think twice before giving your SSN to anyone.

New York State Police are warning the public about a scheme to defraud DirectTV and Dish Network customers.

From August 2005 through November 2007, names and social security numbers were obtained illegally and used to submit orders for customers who didn't request any services.

Police say a subcontractor used by both companies submitted the orders for financial gain.

Both companies are aware of the situation and have cut ties with the subcontractor, police say.

The victims whose names or social security numbers were used received notices from collection agencies and the two companies for services that were charged, but never requested.

In some cases, people are receiving bills to their address under someone else's name.

Police say victims span across Western New York and they believe more people have not come forward.

Anyone who believes they may have been affected by the scheme is asked to call Investigator Christopher Puckett at the Niagara Falls State Police barracks. He can be reached at 297-8730.

http://post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/511318.html?nav=5004

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Yeah, I would probably clarify the thread title to make it more clear.

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thread title is the headline from the paper. If someone is going to edit my posts without notice please clearly state that you have done so.

I wonder if DirecTV and Dish have warned all the customers that they assigned to this subcontractor about the potential for identity theft?

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
And it is a-holes like these guys that make it hard for retailers to make sales, due to the requirement to run a credit check.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Ken S said:
The thread title is the headline from the paper. If someone is going to edit my posts without notice please clearly state that you have done so.

I wonder if DirecTV and Dish have warned all the customers that they assigned to this subcontractor about the potential for identity theft?
I changed the title by adding "(sub-contractor)" to the end of it since it was clear to more than one person that this thread needed a little bit of clarification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.