DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
AllStar
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching ESPN Saturday evening when they flashed up highlights of the ND/USC football game. I realized this was being broadcast on ABC, so I flipped over to my local ABC station (Columbia, SC) and was struck by the abysmal quality of the picture showing the exact same game as compared to the good quality on ESPN.

I'm using an R-15---standard definition obviously---on a 32" flatscreen Sony TV with a s-video cable.

ESPN was sharp and clear; ABC was fuzzy and faded. If ESPN was a "10", then ABC was a "6" in picture quality.

I've noticed this now that I'm looking for it on all my local channels. Is the bandwidth so limited for local channels that this is what I should expect? I don't remember this being an issue in the past.....is it possible that something has changed?

Any suggestions or comments?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
I don't think this is a case of limited bandwidth. There is one local channel (a PBS station) up here in the Philly area that look like crap. Others look great. Including the other 2 PBS stations we get. I also notice some minor distortion on my ABC affiliate (nothing to write home about), and ditto for Fox. My other locals come in really great - especially CBS and NBC. It's probably how the local is broadcasting in general.

·
Godfather
259 Posts
jcfolk said:
I was watching ESPN Saturday evening when they flashed up highlights of the ND/USC football game. I realized this was being broadcast on ABC, so I flipped over to my local ABC station (Columbia, SC) and was struck by the abysmal quality of the picture showing the exact same game as compared to the good quality on ESPN.

I'm using an R-15---standard definition obviously---on a 32" flatscreen Sony TV with a s-video cable.

ESPN was sharp and clear; ABC was fuzzy and faded. If ESPN was a "10", then ABC was a "6" in picture quality.

I've noticed this now that I'm looking for it on all my local channels. Is the bandwidth so limited for local channels that this is what I should expect? I don't remember this being an issue in the past.....is it possible that something has changed?

Any suggestions or comments?
D* way overcompresses your locals. ESPN looks much better because everyone gets ESPN. Your locals are just one of a gazzillion locals that D* squeezes onto the main sat.

That said, let me add this. ABC college football on Saturday looked absolutely horrible to me on cable also. SO I went to my HD-Feed, and even though the game was not in HD, I watched it on the HD channel becasue I knew that channel would certainly not be overcompressed, and the picture looked just as bad. And like you said, ESPN looked much better. Normally, SD viewed on the HD channel looks STUNNING!! I think ABC smeared vasoline on their camera lenses.

This all made me wonder what could cause this, and was it an ABC issue as opposed to a cable company / sat company compression issue.

It just looked really bad....

And while I am *****ing.. Why not put Florida/FSU and Georgia/GT in HD????? It's like ABC just figured that USC/ND was the only game anyone cared about.

·
AllStar
94 Posts
I noticed that my local ABC channel looked blurred to me when Jimmy Kimmel live was on last night. I flipped over to Discovery channel and it was clear and sharp. I'm glad to see I'm not the only seeing this type of thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.