DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Icon
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive only heard about this before, but today it happened to me.

Customer calls in to the office, says her dvr is acting all funny. They ran through the usual reset, reboot, unplug PI blah blah blah but nothing changed.

So they sent me over, and the gal said oh it just did it before you got here. So i asked what it was doing and it kept trying to record stuff. She hasnt setup any recordings at all yet, just installed 2 days ago. At first i thought she had setup series recording and just didnt know it.

Then it happend, the message appeared on the screen, this program is now recording. Huh, that was weird as no one was holding the remote. Ok so i went into the list and yep there it was, so i deleted it. 2 mintues later it started recording again. Hmm, so then i went and checked the other 3 HD boxes and they were all off. This happpened several more times with the remote in my hand, no green lights on the remote, and the dong sound as well at times.

I also checked the to do list, nothing there. Checked the history and it tried recording this show 29 times. She said it was doing that all morning. There were also no other remotes anywhere near this room.

The other 3 techs that had this hapen just swapped out the dvr when this happened, so they really didnt trouble shoot at all, just replaced it.

What i did, cause i dont think all these dvrs need to be sent back in, is i did a new download and told her to call me if it does it again. So far no phone call.

All dvrs that this has happened on are hr24-500's

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
Check for CFL's in the room. They can mimick an IR command if everything is just right.
Ever happens again, put black electrical tape over the IR sensor on the DVR and see if it stops.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Davenlr said:
Check for CFL's in the room. They can mimick an IR command if everything is just right.
Ever happens again, put black electrical tape over the IR sensor on the DVR and see if it stops.
Or put the remote in RF mode. Doing so is also helpful when you have crap IR remote response at times.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
A software download will do nothing to solve this problem. Don't be surprised if you get a call back.

Most likely this was due to either a bad remote .. or some other IR flakiness in the room/vicinity. Switching to RF was probably the best troubleshooting path to have taken.

·
Icon
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doug Brott said:
A software download will do nothing to solve this problem. Don't be surprised if you get a call back.

Most likely this was due to either a bad remote .. or some other IR flakiness in the room/vicinity. Switching to RF was probably the best troubleshooting path to have taken.
Im not quite sure about that. Happens to 4 installers at 4 different homes?

I would have done the RF thing, but i had to use that remote for a remote (hidden) receiver she wanted installed. Im not worried about being called back, she doesnt live more than a mile away.

·
Godfather
523 Posts
Jodean said:
Ive only heard about this before, but today it happened to me.

Customer calls in to the office, says her dvr is acting all funny. They ran through the usual reset, reboot, unplug PI blah blah blah but nothing changed.

So they sent me over, and the gal said oh it just did it before you got here. So i asked what it was doing and it kept trying to record stuff. She hasnt setup any recordings at all yet, just installed 2 days ago. At first i thought she had setup series recording and just didnt know it.

Then it happend, the message appeared on the screen, this program is now recording. Huh, that was weird as no one was holding the remote. Ok so i went into the list and yep there it was, so i deleted it. 2 mintues later it started recording again. Hmm, so then i went and checked the other 3 HD boxes and they were all off. This happpened several more times with the remote in my hand, no green lights on the remote, and the dong sound as well at times.

I also checked the to do list, nothing there. Checked the history and it tried recording this show 29 times. She said it was doing that all morning. There were also no other remotes anywhere near this room.

The other 3 techs that had this hapen just swapped out the dvr when this happened, so they really didnt trouble shoot at all, just replaced it.

What i did, cause i dont think all these dvrs need to be sent back in, is i did a new download and told her to call me if it does it again. So far no phone call.

All dvrs that this has happened on are hr24-500's
Hahaha! You have my old HR24!!! It was doing the same stuff!

It would just start randomly record shows on the channel the receiver was left on or tuner 2. It drove me nuts having to delete on those programs.

Called DirecTV... told them my issue and they sent me out a refurb. Wanted a new receiver but I'm happy the refurb is working just fine...

·
Godfather
523 Posts
Doug Brott said:
Nope... I pulled the batteries and turned off all dimmers and have no CFLs in my home. Problem still existed...

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
VARTV said:
Nope... I pulled the batteries and turned off all dimmers and have no CFLs in my home. Problem still existed...
Interesting .. Clearly something was wrong I suppose ..

·
Icon
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya we even tried the blocking the remote sensor on the receiver, its just possesed.

At least my customers get a brand new one, should be better than a refurb unless it does the same thing :eek:

We have only had 4 dvrs do this so far, all in the last month.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.