DBSTalk Forum banner

Possible New Customer Questions....

791 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  RobertE
Hi There,

I just came back from a vacation at my brother in laws house where he has DTV.

He is telling me that the only way to get the HD DVR is to have 2 Coax runs to EACH box that you want, in each room.

Well that would be impossible for me in the two rooms that I want the HD DVR's in.

I have done some research and found some information on the SWM8 which I THINK might solve this problem, but I am not sure.

Someone in a different forum said the following:

"
There's actually a new version of the satellite dish that has the Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) built into it. This dish only requires one coax cable from the dish to your house, and you can use high quality coax splitters to feed multiple Receivers and DVRs, up to a total of 8 tuners (each DVR has 2 tuners). You just need to use newer Receivers (H20/H21/H23) and newer DVRs (HR20, HR20). It's still pretty new, so some installers might not be aware of it."

So if this is true, what should I be asking D* when I call to get service setup?

Any help would be great!

TIA
DTT
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
You got most of it down. A few points.

- SWM is not on national release yet and is being used in a few test markets.
- Same for SWMlLine. Just smaller rollout.
- You can only split the signal once. So you would have to have one or two common points where the wires meet. the SWMLine has one outpit, the SWM8 has two stacked plus 3 legacy.
- D* would only give SWM out to people with 5+ tuners AFAIK.
:welcome_s to the forums.

As to the SWM-8, they are not available on request.

My understanding is that DirecTV's systems determine if you need one and they are only sent if the system feels one is needed.

If you only want 2 HD DVR's then the dish can feed those without needing a multiswitch (it has 4 lines), so a multiswitch will not be sent.

CSR's cannot order them; the only way you can be guaranteed to get a SWM-8 is if you order one online (and pay for it). SolidSignal has them for $139.99 (but I would shop around).

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=02&CAT=&PROD=SWM-8

The integrated SWM-8 dishes are in even more limited distribution, I do not know if they CAN be ordered online.
See less See more
Mertzen said:
You got most of it down. A few points.

- SWM is not on national release yet and is being used in a few test markets.
- Same for SWMlLine. Just smaller rollout.
- You can only split the signal once. So you would have to have one or two common points where the wires meet. the SWMLine has one outpit, the SWM8 has two stacked plus 3 legacy.
- D* would only give SWM out to people with 5+ tuners AFAIK.
Why do you say the signal can only be split once? I've never seen that mentioned anywhere else. I'll have to go back and look at my setup, because I think I have mine split more than once.
By split once do you mean

1 in and 2 out?
or

1 in and multiple out?
Mertzen said:
Ok this makes no sense to me....probably because I have no experience with this :)

Draconis said:
:welcome_s to the forums.

As to the SWM-8, they are not available on request.

My understanding is that DirecTV's systems determine if you need one and they are only sent if the system feels one is needed.

If you only want 2 HD DVR's then the dish can feed those without needing a multiswitch (it has 4 lines), so a multiswitch will not be sent.

CSR's cannot order them; the only way you can be guaranteed to get a SWM-8 is if you order one online (and pay for it). SolidSignal has them for $139.99.

The integrated SWM-8 dishes are in even more limited distribution, I do not know if they CAN be ordered online.
Here is the system I would want. 2 Regular receivers, then I would need 2 HD DVR's (I assume the DVR's allow two recordings at once.)

You mention that the dish has 4 lines coming out of it...but doesn't each HD DVR need 2 coax each?
DeathtoToasters said:
Ok this makes no sense to me....probably because I have no experience with this :)

Here is the system I would want. 2 Regular receivers, then I would need 2 HD DVR's (I assume the DVR's allow two recordings at once.)

You mention that the dish has 4 lines coming out of it...but doesn't each HD DVR need 2 coax each?
Ok sorry for being confusing:

- DVRs do indeed allow you to record two shows.
- With the SWM you can run 1 line to a DVR and it will give you full functionality
- With splitting once i mean you can run 1 line from the SWM to an approved splitter and then run single lines to the IRDs.
- Once you split your line at the splitter you can not place additional splitters [ unlike cable who can keep on putting splitters in the lines
- If you din't use a SWM you would need a multi switch to turn 4 wires into 6 in your case.
- Here are some wiring diagrams: http://www.swm8.com/swm-wiring-examples.php
Mertzen said:
- Once you split your line at the splitter you can not place additional splitters [ unlike cable who can keep on putting splitters in the lines
You can split the SWM signal multiple times. It works just fine that way. There are two constraints.
1. The primary output of the SWM must be connected to the power inserter, either directly or through splitter(s). If through one or more splitters, the path from the SWM to the PI must be power passing on all splitters along the way.
2. The total number of tuners that can be fed is 8. That equals four DVRs with two tuners each, eight non-DVR receivers, or a mix of the two that does not exceed 8 tuners.

Carl
carl6 said:
You can split the SWM signal multiple times. It works just fine that way. There are two constraints.
Dang, totally didn't know that. Not have i seen it done or seen on diagrams. :eek2: :eek2:
FWIW - Here's my recommendations:

Place your order with DirecTV for the two recievers and two HD DVR's. They will add the Slimline-5 dish to your order, and a WB-68 multi-switch to the order.

Next find the best price you can for an SWM-8 (dave29 on these forums has a decent price), and so does Solid Signal.

Next figure out whether you want to use an Over the Air Antenna with your configuration. Since you're in SoCal, I assume you're locale is covered by SD and HD locals from DirecTV. But if you want the Digital subchannels you will need an OTA antenna.

And then hope that the tech that comes out for your install is smarter than your average bear.

Good Luck.
See less See more
The SWMLine LNB should be available on or about 8/20 nationwide. Your local area may already be using them, or may not even gotten them in stock yet. If they are in the last batch to get them, then they will also need a bit of time to get the installation crew up to speed on them.

Anyway, my advice, if you want to sign up is to do so. Your planned number of tuners meets the qualifications for a SWMLine (5 or more tuners, at least 1 HD).

If the installer has the SWMLine then great, no problem your all set. If not, then you can reschedule for another day and hope that they are available then. Or you can get the external SWM8 from dave29 or an online retailer. If you go with that route, just have the installer use the single lines until you get your SWM. Swap it out yourself, or if your not comfortable doing so, get the installers name and number and offer to pay him to swap it for you.
See less See more
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.