Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -

Apologies if someone else has mentioned this before, but I couldn't find it... Noticed my first experience with 'partial recordings' yesterday. Can't really complain, as this is the first recording trouble I've had since I got the unit in mid-September.
Anyway, last Wednesday night the HR-20 attempted to record two series-recording HD NBC shows from our local Denver affiliate (30 Rock and Twenty Good Years). The time lag between recording and discovery is because my TV was in the shop for repair. I had both series scheduled to start one minute early. Both shows recorded for exactly one minute. Other SD series recordings done around the same time recorded fine. The unit has also recorded other HD series recordings flawlessly since then, as well. What I find interesting is that I utilized the 'start early' recording option and the shows recorded for just that early portion of the program.
I'm wondering if anyone else who has experienced partial recordings has also used the 'start early' option and if so, did the shows only record for the amount of time you asked the unit to start early?
Just food for thought for this issue...
Dechief

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
The only partial recordings I've had have been ones I've padded to start early, and they recorded for exactly the same amount of time that they were padded.

I think you might be on to something.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
dechief4 said:
Hello all -

Apologies if someone else has mentioned this before, but I couldn't find it... Noticed my first experience with 'partial recordings' yesterday. Can't really complain, as this is the first recording trouble I've had since I got the unit in mid-September.
Anyway, last Wednesday night the HR-20 attempted to record two series-recording HD NBC shows from our local Denver affiliate (30 Rock and Twenty Good Years). The time lag between recording and discovery is because my TV was in the shop for repair. I had both series scheduled to start one minute early. Both shows recorded for exactly one minute. Other SD series recordings done around the same time recorded fine. The unit has also recorded other HD series recordings flawlessly since then, as well. What I find interesting is that I utilized the 'start early' recording option and the shows recorded for just that early portion of the program.
I'm wondering if anyone else who has experienced partial recordings has also used the 'start early' option and if so, did the shows only record for the amount of time you asked the unit to start early?
Just food for thought for this issue...
Dechief
Nope, I have not paded any of my recordings.

in http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67998 I had scheduled 2 shows to be recorded, Meet the Press and Chris Mathews, no other recordings at that time and they play one after the other. Meet The Press was hit with the partial bug. While padded shows may experience the partial bugs, shows that are not padded experience this bug.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
I record Ugly Betty with Series Link with Start Early set at 5 minutes. I am recording the HD MPEG4 signal from the Sat in the Charlotte, NC area. It worked just fine.

The only partial recording I have had was an episode of the Office, set as a normal series link HD MPEG4 with no padding. Others had the same issue with the exact same episode. This only happened with the one episode for me.

No correlation that I can see.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
btmoore said:
While padded shows may experience the partial bugs, shows that are not padded experience this bug.
Well, it's definitely not the only cause of the problem, it could be one of them. It might be worth mentioning that the partial records I've gotten have been during a series link and it doesn't happen every week, just sometimes.

I wonder if this is in any way related to the bug that NFL ST users are getting where if they lose the signal, the whole recording is trashed (I don't have that package, as I live near LA, the largest city in the nation without a football team). Just a thought.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
wakajawaka said:
I record Ugly Betty with Series Link with Start Early set at 5 minutes. I am recording the HD MPEG4 signal from the Sat in the Charlotte, NC area. It worked just fine.

The only partial recording I have had was an episode of the Office, set as a normal series link HD MPEG4 with no padding. Others had the same issue with the exact same episode. This only happened with the one episode for me.

No correlation that I can see.
My hypothesis is that there is just a bug that effects recordings period, it leaves you with a partial history message and missing recording, why is shows up more with some shows vs others is based on the popularity of recording that show. Prime time shows like CSI, Heroes, Office, which have a big following and many people want to record you are likely going to see a spike of people having the issue due to the larger sample size. Most may people are not likely recording meet the press like I did, so you are not going to see a lot of reports about that not recording. This is one of the worst kind of bugs, from the user perspective there is no rhyme or reason to it, you just can't trust that your show will record, but it might and likely will. I have had over a half dozen of these partials and they are frustrating when it is the only chance to watch some of these shows until repeat season.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
btmoore said:
My hypothesis is that there is just a bug that effects recordings period, it leaves you with a partial history message and missing recording, why is shows up more with some shows vs others is based on the popularity of recording that show.
I do agree with you completely, speaking for myself I'm just bored at work and idly speculating as to cause.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
btmoore said:
My hypothesis is that there is just a bug that effects recordings period, it leaves you with a partial history message and missing recording, why is shows up more with some shows vs others is based on the popularity of recording that show. Prime time shows like CSI, Heroes, Office, which have a big following and many people want to record you are likely going to see a spike of people having the issue due to the larger sample size. Most may people are not likely recording meet the press like I did, so you are not going to see a lot of reports about that not recording. This is one of the worst kind of bugs, from the user perspective there is no rhyme or reason to it, you just can't trust that your show will record, but it might and likely will. I have had over a half dozen of these partials and they are frustrating when it is the only chance to watch some of these shows until repeat season.
It's all about fundamental bugs, interactions and probabilities.

I've had the box 5 weeks. I have no MPEG-4/HD Locals. I record several prime time series. I have never missed a recording or had a partial recording. Go figure. Either I'm waiting (probabilities), or I haven't hit on the set of interactions required to produce it (absence of MPEG-4 and other user activities). There are quite a few others like me. At this point only God knows why. This is a VERY mysterious box.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
hasan said:
It's all about fundamental bugs, interactions and probabilities.
I think it's all about fundamental bugs. Period.

More interactions doesn't mean a higher probability, just more occurances of the same fundamental bug. But really we're splitting hairs at this point.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
11 Posts
Everytime I've added one minute to the end of "The Office" I get a 1 minute long recording. It's as if the HR20 takes the instruction to end "one minute later" literally. It starts recording and ends one minute later! I have never had this work correctly. Now, with NBC doing the supersize stuff, I don't know what to do.

Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,199 Posts
billdago said:
Everytime I've added one minute to the end of "The Office" I get a 1 minute long recording. It's as if the HR20 takes the instruction to end "one minute later" literally. It starts recording and ends one minute later! I have never had this work correctly. Now, with NBC doing the supersize stuff, I don't know what to do.

Any ideas?
Glad I don't record any NBC shows, I guess. What about just recording the show after it complete, and then deleting the show after you've seen the last minute of the office? Not the way it's suppposed to work, but that's how I pad the end of NFL games. I just manually record the show after them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.