DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 VIP 622 receivers, connected only to 2 TVs.

Everything working fine for a couple of years.

All of a sudden, one of the TVs started getting complete signal loss.

I tracked this down to port 1 of the DPP44 switch. I moved the receiver that was having problems to the other location and it works ok there.

When I switch cables at the switch, the problem stays with port 1.

Now I cannot get the check switch to work correctly on the receiver connected to port 1. It goes to 1 of 50 test everytime.

I have taken off the power inserter just to try it with no luck.
Does the 622 need the separator connected to the back of the receiver?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dennis

·
Godfather
549 Posts
Ports do go bad. I have a DPP44 where one of the four ports is dead. I just don't use that port.

Of course if you have no spare ports available, well, maybe it's time for a new switch.

Now it's been a while since I hooked mine up, but I think the power inserter still needs to go to port #1. Yes, it's possible for port#1 to be "bad" but still accept the power input. If the DPP44 is indoors and near an outlet, you can move the power inserter to be right next to the switch and connect it directly. (The power inserter doesn't have to be behind a receiver, and it doesn't have to have a receiver hooked to it.) Otherwise you will have to arrange for the power to get to #1 somehow, by running a new cable or whatever.

As to the separator, yes, it needs to be hooked up behind the 622. That is what lets one cable carry the signal for two tuners.

Keith

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Keith, unfortunately, my switch is outside on the roof with the dish antenna.

I guess I could move the affected receiver cable to another port, and temporarily plug just the inserter into port 1 to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks
Dennis

·
Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up question.

I understand the power inserter needs to be on port 1 to power up the switch and LNBs.

My question revolves around the fact that the affected receiver was plugged into port 1 and the receiver and power inserter were both powered off and removed from receptacles.

In other words, nothing was providing power to port 1, yet the receiver plugged into port 2 was still operating with no problems.

How is this so if power has to be on port 1 ?

Also, just completed another test:
Moved the affected receiver from port 1 to port 3. Plugged the power inserter directly into port 1 (with no receiver on the other end).
Both receivers just finished the check switch and program guide download, so it appears port 1 is bad as far as delivering a comm connection to the receiver.
Question still remains about how the receiver on port 2 continued to work with the power inserter/receiver turned off on port 1.

I do not understand how this switch works.

Thanks
Dennis

·
Hall Of Fame
8,071 Posts
dward said:
Follow up question.

I understand the power inserter needs to be on port 1 to power up the switch and LNBs.

My question revolves around the fact that the affected receiver was plugged into port 1 and the receiver and power inserter were both powered off and removed from receptacles.

In other words, nothing was providing power to port 1, yet the receiver plugged into port 2 was still operating with no problems.

How is this so if power has to be on port 1 ?

Also, just completed another test:
Moved the affected receiver from port 1 to port 3. Plugged the power inserter directly into port 1 (with no receiver on the other end).
Both receivers just finished the check switch and program guide download, so it appears port 1 is bad as far as delivering a comm connection to the receiver.
Question still remains about how the receiver on port 2 continued to work with the power inserter/receiver turned off on port 1.

I do not understand how this switch works.

Thanks
Dennis
Apparently the DPP44 can be powered either by the individual receivers or optionally by the external PI on port 1 for installs when long cable runs to the receivers make their internal power insufficient.

Dug around a little and found an old thread touching on this issue.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=107554

Many other "normally" powered multiline multi-switches actually use a such an optional power approach.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
I have found that anytime I experience odd behavior related to the dpp44 that it can be resolved by rebooting the switch. I unplug all receivers and the power inserter for about 1 minute. Plug the power inserter back in then about a minute later plug the receivers back in. Once everything has rebooted all is back to normal operation.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,982 Posts
It is NEVER recommended that you power the DP44 with a receiver.

Dish receivers can power the DP44, but the power supply in the receivers is not designed to carry the load of the DP44 for long periods of time and the receiver may fail.

Using the external power adapter will help prevent this failure.

I also have to occasionally reboot my DP44 in the same manner as frodob9. One or more of my receivers will fail to find one or more satellites. Unplugging all the receivers, lnb's and the power supply for about a minute has successfully restored normal operation every time so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.