DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Possible workaround to avoid the "partial" bug

807 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Xaa 
#1 ·
Last week I was away on vacation and the HR20 missed a lot of recordings ("partial" in the history). It just occurred to me why that week was such a disaster. That was the first week that I recall when there was no new software download, so the HR20 wasn't rebooted.

Yesterday, the 5:00 news failed to record. The record light was definitely on, but when I went to watch it later, it didn't appear on the list. I hit the reset button, and everything since had recorded properly.

The HR20 seems to be like a computer running Windoze -- if it doesn't get rebooted regularly, bad stuff starts to happen. Until this turkey is stable, it may be worth the effort to press that reset button every few days to force the reboot.

Does anyone else have any observations to refute or support this?

#2 ·
bcowan12 said:
Last week I was away on vacation and the HR20 missed a lot of recordings ("partial" in the history). It just occurred to me why that week was such a disaster. That was the first week that I recall when there was no new software download, so the HR20 wasn't rebooted.

Yesterday, the 5:00 news failed to record. The record light was definitely on, but when I went to watch it later, it didn't appear on the list. I hit the reset button, and everything since had recorded properly.

The HR20 seems to be like a computer running Windoze -- if it doesn't get rebooted regularly, bad stuff starts to happen. Until this turkey is stable, it may be worth the effort to press that reset button every few days to force the reboot.

Does anyone else have any observations to refute or support this?
While I have had very few problems compared to most people, everytime I do have a problem I do a reset. There was one time that I didn't and the unit became very unstable. I think as a rule, if you have an issue you should definitely reset.

#3 ·
Very interesting. I wonder if this could be related to the users who turn their units off regularly (really a standby mode). Perhaps when the unit is turned back "on", it resets the User Interface--just enough to be slightly more stable.

Cheers,
Tom

#4 ·
tibber said:
Very interesting. I wonder if this could be related to the users who turn their units off regularly (really a standby mode). Perhaps when the unit is turned back "on", it resets the User Interface--just enough to be slightly more stable.

Cheers,
Tom
Just adding my two cents worth. I have had the HR 20 since the first week of Oct. Just as a matter of habit I put the unit in standby anytime I'm not watching something (same as I do with the R 15 actually and that seems to keep the R 15 from having lock ups as often) and so far the HR 20 has only locked up once on me, when I turned on the TV to watch a show the bottom two thirds of the screen was black, the top third had the interface but it was blank, no channel number or banner or date and time. A red button reset brought everything back to normal. Whether leaving it in standby all the time when not viewing something makes a difference or not who knows. So far though it's working for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.