DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok - aside from getting advice on how important a UPS is - what are the steps to revive a 'bricked' HR-20?

Lost power for about one sec - the entire house rebooted. The only thing that didn't revive is one (of two) HR-20. Unplugged (briefly), tried red button w/no luck. Nothing even on screen except a solid blue background (using component cables). After about 30 sec, that goes to black. Am I being too impatient?

I'm trying the longer unplugged sequence now and am beginning to look for the proper chicken to sacrifice. While I hunt around for a sharp knife, any front panel reformat steps or other approaches I should try before calling D*?

BTW, and I don't know if it makes any difference, I'm on 010B.

Any pointers would be welcome.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
qlanus said:
ok - aside from getting advice on how important a UPS is - what are the steps to revive a 'bricked' HR-20?

Lost power for about one sec - the entire house rebooted. The only thing that didn't revive is one (of two) HR-20. Unplugged (briefly), tried red button w/no luck. Nothing even on screen except a solid blue background (using component cables). After about 30 sec, that goes to black. Am I being too impatient?

I'm trying the longer unplugged sequence now and am beginning to look for the proper chicken to sacrifice. While I hunt around for a sharp knife, any front panel reformat steps or other approaches I should try before calling D*?

BTW, and I don't know if it makes any difference, I'm on 010B.

Any pointers would be welcome.
I've heard that at this time of year a turkey can serve just as well as a chicken. :)

You might try 0 2 4 6 8 right when the blue screen shows up.
You might try a red button right when the blue screen shows up.
Does the disk make normal sounds or retries, clicks, grinds or heaven forbid, squeals?

Good luck,
Tom

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
First, do you have the maintenance agreement? If so, you should have no problem.

There is another option. I once had to call for service because a workman around the house severed my cable line into the house. I called D* and explained. They offerred me two choices, either pay $70.00 or agree to join the maintenance plan and the call would be free. I actually chose the $70.00 option because the contractor was paying and needed a receipt. But, my point is, you may be able to get the units replaced and sign on to the maintenance agreement at the same time.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
The HR20's are leased and actually DirecTV owns them unless you bought it from eBay or something like that, so they should just replace them anyway. They'll mostlikely give you a refurbished one and take yours. I've noticed they are pretty good on that stuff and ship fast. They'll just refurbish your old one and send it out to another person with troubles.

·
Legend
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IT IS ALIVE!

Let me start by saying the system has recovered.

Now as to why or how..... beats me (and I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out). Fundamentally, I think the solution was allowing more time for system start up. Nonetheless, you'd think some sort of screen message would be presented during power-on process. Maybe it's just me, but the front panel lights (particularly the power lite) seem very non-informative. Even now, with the system in stand-by - no lights at all.

Also, does anyone know (for sure) the power-on sequence of events (screens)? How does it differ from the RBR sequence?

After the power blip and no apparent restart I grew concerned. After observing nothing, I did the RBR. The TV screen would show all blue for about 30 sec. Then black, as if the HR-20 stopped sending video.

With no success there, I went the 'pull-the-plug' route. Waited about 30 sec, re-plugged.... no joy. The HR-20 power light lit for a bit (maybe 15-30 sec) and then extinguished. All the while, mind you, I hear hard drive activity.

With nightmares of having to call D* for a replacement (and worst of all, losing OTA), I unplugged for several more minutes and went to bed. Of course I couldn't sleep (how sick am I), so after maybe 15 min, tried the remote power switch and - just like that, it came on (as tho it was in stand-by).

Like I said, I have no idea what resolved the (perceived) problem. Again, maybe not patient enough. Still, it would be nice to know the expected behavior of this system. I'd bet that D* could save a significant number of service calls if they added a screen or two during power-up.

Once nailed-down, this might be useful to capture in the Tips & Traps document

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I came to the thread late, but patience was what I was going to advise.

When I reboot my HR20, I just walk away and dont watch for anything. It seems what it does, or does not do, varies from time to time and it only makes me anxious.

After giving it ten minutes to reboot, I try it out, and so far it has worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.