DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Cool Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed power on issues with my Hoppers. I have them set to never turn themselves off since we often watch long golf tournements on TV and it will drive you crazy to get that message about turning off in the middle of some important shot. In any case, I go to bed at night and the Hoppers are off. Some time in the morning, I walk by and the green power light is on. I have a heck of a time turning it off. It won't respond to the remote and I often have to push the power button on the Hopper multiple times to get it to turn off. I have two Hoppers and this will happen on both. Sometimes the same night, sometimes different nights for different Hoppers. Most nights it does not happen. Anyone else notice this behavior? Is it some sort of software bug?

· Hall Of Fame
3,182 Posts
Are you trying to shut if off while it's doing it's nightly download? Hoppers are set for 1am unless it is recording something. If it is the download, you aren't to disrupt it and it usually shuts itself off after a couple of minutes.

910 Posts
The Hoppers have a default setting for inactivity at 4 hours. Inactivity deals with no remote commands to the receiver. Watching a program will not prevent the receiver from powering off if the Hopper remains on the same channel for 4 hours (or the setting for this feature). You can disable this feature or increase the duration to 8 hours.

From your description of the Green light on and the remote not responding, it sounds like the receiver is rebooting, which it will do after a nightly update. Software updates do not occur at 1 am. The receiver is only looking to see if an update is availabe and update the program guide. The software update occurs later in the morning or when the receiver is idle. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

hasbeen29650 said:
I have noticed power on issues with my Hoppers. I have them set to never turn themselves off since we often watch long golf tournements on TV and it will drive you crazy to get that message about turning off in the middle of some important shot. In any case, I go to bed at night and the Hoppers are off. Some time in the morning, I walk by and the green power light is on. I have a heck of a time turning it off. It won't respond to the remote and I often have to push the power button on the Hopper multiple times to get it to turn off. I have two Hoppers and this will happen on both. Sometimes the same night, sometimes different nights for different Hoppers. Most nights it does not happen. Anyone else notice this behavior? Is it some sort of software bug?

· Cool Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ray [email protected] Network said:
The Hoppers have a default setting for inactivity at 4 hours. Inactivity deals with no remote commands to the receiver. Watching a program will not prevent the receiver from powering off if the Hopper remains on the same channel for 4 hours (or the setting for this feature). You can disable this feature or increase the duration to 8 hours.

From your description of the Green light on and the remote not responding, it sounds like the receiver is rebooting, which it will do after a nightly update. Software updates do not occur at 1 am. The receiver is only looking to see if an update is availabe and update the program guide. The software update occurs later in the morning or when the receiver is idle. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.
I often find it on at 8 am or so in the morning. Not sure if it is still waiting for an update at that time. If it is updating, then it will ignore the power off? Is that what you are telling me? Just trying to understand what might be happening. Will it turn itself off after the update? Thanks.

910 Posts
It is probably updating at that time. You can turn your TV on the see which mode the receiver is in. If you get a picture than the receiver is in normal viewing mode. If you get a message saying it is checking for updates or any other type message, it is performing a needed function. I sometimes find my Hopper running an integrity check. Thanks.

hasbeen29650 said:
I often find it on at 8 am or so in the morning. Not sure if it is still waiting for an update at that time. If it is updating, then it will ignore the power off? Is that what you are telling me? Just trying to understand what might be happening. Will it turn itself off after the update? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.