DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Icon
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In one of the other threads a user suggested that problems might be associated with whether or not users are "turning off" their units or leaving them on 24/7. Interesting thought. I know the machine is never truly off, but I would be surious to hear from people both with and without major issues whether or not they turn their receivers off or leave them on all the time???

Bueller?? Bueller?? Bueller?? Anyone???
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
231 Posts
The TV that I connected the HR20 to gets used about 2hrs a day and the rest of the time it is off.

I have had most of the same problems everyone else has reported but the frequency is much less. Since it's probably a function of the amount of time being used I'd say it's not much different but I'd like to believe that by leaving it off most of the day I'm avoiding even more lock ups.

Actually since the last update the stability has increased significantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
I have had my HR20 around 5 weeks or so. I have never powered it off. It runs 24/7. I have had very few (and minor) problems. It's been very good for me. No hangs, freeezes, lost recordings (other than a NFL-ST game one time), partial recording, video break-ups, trick play issues. As I said, I've had a few minor things (3 as I recall) and none of them required turning off, reboot or other intervention.

No MPEG-4/HD-Locals here.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
181 Posts
I power off most nights, depending on which remote I'm using to power off the TV. I've only ever had one unplayable recording (black screen, couldn't FWD but not locked up). It doesn't seem to matter if the HR20 is recording or not when I power down.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
239 Posts
I always turn the HR20 "off" when not in use. I have had zero major issues with my HR20 in the 6 weeks I have had it. No unplayable recordings and no hangs/crashes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
I forgot to mention, there was a thread some time ago about some (not a lot, but a few) people unable to turn the unit back on after turning it off. It took a lot of fiddling for these people to get their HR20s back on again :)
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
88 Posts
I power unit off every night when I turn off the tv. I have had this unit for about 6 weeks with no major problems even with the mpeg 4 locals. Everything records and plays back o.k. Only on going issue is caller ID has never worked. Maybe after the next update it will (I hope!)
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
420 Posts
My unit is "off" most of the time, and I have had very few problems. No resets or lock ups. Every program has been playable. I have gotten the partial bug and the NFL ST bug (deleted program). That's it. This includes all types of programming from SD, HD MPEG2, and HD MPEG4. So could there be something to turning off your unit when not in use?
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
228 Posts
Interesting......

I know the unit *really* is still on, can record, slices, dices, etc. when turned "off" - can anyone who HAS had many problems chime in? What is their on vs. off ratio?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
qlanus said:
Interesting......

I know the unit *really* is still on, can record, slices, dices, etc. when turned "off" - can anyone who HAS had many problems chime in? What is their on vs. off ratio?
I had lots of problems for about the first four weeks we had the HR20, but have only had two major hiccups in the past few weeks. We always turn our unit off at night even when we were having problems. Not sure whether there truly is a correlation or not. That's the reason I started this thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
lguvenoz said:
I had lots of problems for about the first four weeks we had the HR20, but have only had two major hiccups in the past few weeks. We always turn our unit off at night even when we were having problems. Not sure whether there truly is a correlation or not. That's the reason I started this thread.
From my intensive readings of these forums, I see no correlation whatever between leaving the unit on or turning it off and the variety of problems people are having. It looks like a blind alley to me.
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
Joined
·
4,107 Posts
If you see someone complain of problems, you may find that they:
1. Leave the HR20 ON.
2. Didn't buy form D* and have D* install new cables and connectors and the AT9.
3. Don't use a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply?

Bear in mind that while it seems like there are a thousand unhappy people, I have only found a couple dozen different people so far. The few are that loud.

Many with problems leave their HR20's ON. D* says to leave it off.

Many did not install fresh cables and connectors.

Many alligned the dish themsleves and didn't use a meter.

The bigger issue you will find is that many do not use protection.

Our power dips and sags non-stop. The HR20 has a small power supply and limited power conditioning. Without a good Uninterruptable Power Suplly (UPS: 500+ Joules, 500+ V-A), your HR20 may be resetting daily.

Consider a UPS at least as good as the APC 650 from Best Buy:

APC - Surge Protector with 650VA Battery Backup

or the

CyberPower - 550VA Battery Back-Up System

You may save lost programs and maybe a fried HR20 for just $60-$80. You can find cheaper prices. Replace the entire UPS periodically, not just the battery.

If you are home and lose power, you will have a moment to get recordings turned off and everything shut down.

Be Prepared!

- Craig
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
If you see someone complain of problems, you may find that they:
1. Leave the HR20 ON.
2. Didn't buy form D* and have D* install new cables and connectors and the AT9.
3. Don't use a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply?

Bear in mind that while it seems like there are a thousand unhappy people, I have only found a couple dozen different people so far. The few are that loud.

Many with problems leave their HR20's ON. D* says to leave it off.

Many did not install fresh cables and connectors.

Many alligned the dish themsleves and didn't use a meter.

The bigger issue you will find is that many do not use protection.

Our power dips and sags non-stop. The HR20 has a small power supply and limited power conditioning. Without a good Uninterruptable Power Suplly (UPS: 500+ Joules, 500+ V-A), your HR20 may be resetting daily.

- Craig
Please provide DirecTV reference documentation.

Where does DirecTV document to "leave it off" and that leaving it on creates problems.

Where is your documentation from DirecTV that shows that the people with problems, "did not install fresh cables and connectors.", I am not sure what a fresh cable or connector is. Assuming you mean in spec with the new standards, please provide that documentation, where this has been corilated back to the problems with problems like unwatchable, partial or Dolby Digital off to be on problems.

Where is your documentation from DirecTV that shows HR20 problems come from "Many alligned the dish themsleves and didn't use a meter."

Where is it documented that a UPS is required for the HR20 to be stable, or even helps with stability?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
Is this a court case? Is it peer reviewed research? The guy lists some ideas, if you think they aren't worth considering simply say so and why. Playing "amateur attorney" (cross examination) really doesn't help us much.

BTW, anyone with an ounce of sense would understand the desirability of a UPS for a DVR in areas where the power is ....shall we say...winkie. My area would qualify as winkie.

Why be so argumentative?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
I turn my HR20 off when the TV turns off.

I installed my own AT9 dish without a signal meter and I'm getting great signal strength on all the satellite transponders.

I did not use brand new cables. I used the exsisting cables I installed brand new when I installed my first 18 inch directv dish 10 years ago. I did replace all the connectors on the cables going to the dish.

I don't have a UPS for the AT9. I've never had a UPS.

I haven't had any problems with my AT9 and HR20 since I installed them 6 weeks ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
glennb said:
I turn my HR20 off when the TV turns off.

I installed my own AT9 dish without a signal meter and I'm getting great signal strength on all the satellite transponders.

I did not use brand new cables. I used the exsisting cables I installed brand new when I installed my first 18 inch directv dish 10 years ago. I did replace all the connectors on the cables going to the dish.

I don't have a UPS for the AT9. I've never had a UPS.

I haven't had any problems with my AT9 and HR20 since I installed them 6 weeks ago.
There ya go!....and without any documentation, congrats!

Also, I used my existing cables (4) and existing connectors, after inspecting them. no problems. If you lived where I do, you'd have a UPS :rolleyes:

You and I are pretty fortunate (along with others, to be sure, perhaps even the majority of users). I have had only 3 very minor problems in 5 weeks, none of which required a reset. I really feel for those who are having the opposite experience with this box.

I'm starting to have definite OTA jonesing, though.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
228 Posts
FWIT - and in the spirit of this thread....

I did use original (old) cables, do not use a UPS (although I know I should), but DO POWER OFF when I turn off the TV. Few problems (generally a weekly freeze requiring red button action) - no missed recordings.

As unlikely as it sounds, in this thread at least, I am NOT hearing of *many* problems among those who power off. Is there anyone who does experience a higher level of problems who does indeed power off? Is there any correlation to problems and NOT powering-off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,957 Posts
No, there isn't....I've read probably 99% of all posts here for over a month, and there is no power/on power/off pattern.

I'm not trying to discourage you from investigating problems....have at it, big time, as we need all the help we can get/offer. It's just that this particular line of inquiry shows every sign of being a dead end.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top