DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Godfather
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find the PPV and VOD set up with DirecTV confusing and frustrating?

Like a lot of people, I don't have a super fast internet connection...fast enough for us to browse the web and do what we need to do on our Laptops and i-pad, but a movie download from D* would take about two hours.

So, in what I think is a visually confusing mess, we look for movies that have been downloaded to our hard drive and are instantly accessible....that means four or five offerings at best.

As a result, we don't buy any PPV or VOD movies any more. Is this a case of us really needing to get with the 21st century, or do others find this part of DirecTV as useless and confusing as I do? :)

·
Godfather
480 Posts
"TDK1044" said:
Does anyone else find the PPV and VOD set up with DirecTV confusing and frustrating?

Like a lot of people, I don't have a super fast internet connection...fast enough for us to browse the web and do what we need to do on our Laptops and i-pad, but a movie download from D* would take about two hours.

So, in what I think is a visually confusing mess, we look for movies that have been downloaded to our hard drive and are instantly accessible....that means four or five offerings at best.

As a result, we don't buy any PPV or VOD movies any more. Is this a case of us really needing to get with the 21st century, or do others find this part of DirecTV as useless and confusing as I do? :)
What is your Internet speed? When it asks you to download for 1080p or a faster download which do you select? If you choose the faster download it's still HD. 720p I believe so the picture still looks good and it should download very quickly. Also, it will download quicker if you are watching the movie while downloading instead of putting it in your queue and waiting for the entire movie to download.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,771 Posts
The layout is still a complete mess even after the new HD GUI. I had high hopes with some of the screen shots I saw, but unfortunately, what is underneath is still awful.

D* could learn alot from the layout of Vudu and even Netflix.

Much like one of the posters said above, it costs D* money. DVD player broke the other day in a room without Vudu. Wife and daughter wanted to watch a PPV movie through D* but the navigation was so cumbersome they quit trying to find one.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
I agree that it would be nice if they had a nice little selection you could choose titled something like "Watch Immediately" or "Immediately Available" that would list all of the titles already stored on your DVR's hard drive.

I would be much more likely to use it then. My HughesNet service is worthless for PPV that needs to be downloaded. I just use the linear PPV channels, or the pushed movies stored on my DVR if I do order a PPV (which I rarely do, and when I do it's usually PPV Events like UFC fights).

·
Icon
524 Posts
I don't buy PPV at all, but I use D*'s VOD all the time. Nothing could be simpler.

I choose the browse by channels option which shows me all the channels I subscribe to that have VOD.
Once to the channel I select I can choose movies, series, new stuff, often by genre (like action, mystery).

I also realize that although D* calls it's VOD service VOD.....it's not streaming like is offered by some cable companies, or Netflix. Titles you choose to see must download to your DVR's hard drive before you can watch.

Doing THAT is then very dependent on your internet service/speed. Sounds like you've got very slow service. I've got 20mbps service and can select an HD movie from D*'s VOD and after just a few minutes of downloading the progress bar turns green and I can start watching without ever bumping up against the buffer.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
sdirv said:
I don't buy PPV at all, but I use D*'s VOD all the time. Nothing could be simpler.

I also realize that although D* calls it's VOD service VOD.....it's not streaming like is offered by some cable companies, or Netflix. Titles you choose to see must download to your DVR's hard drive before you can watch.
This is probably why they don't call it streaming....I agree with you, I thinks it incredibly easy to use. I was a little puzzled when I 1st saw this thread because I have always thought it was easy to use. I know because of the delivery method it isnt the same as On Demand content from a cable provider, and I'm fine with that because I completely understand the technology behind satellite tv.

·
Godfather
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I find the whole thing a confusing mess, and as a result, we don't purchase PPV or VOD.

I really don't care about what's involved technically...to quote Oddball from Kelly's Heroes... "I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work". :)

I want to be able to go to a PPV or VOD offering and click on it and it plays. I'm not remotely interested in downloading to the hard drive.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,251 Posts
sdirv said:
You only have to download enough of the title to create a sufficient buffer. For those with high speed internet (think 8-10+ Mbs) you only have to wait a short time before you can begin playback. I downloaded and watched an HD movie last night via VOD and I began watching less than 3 minutes after starting the download, and could have begun much sooner as the movie was downloading in faster than real time.

It may not be streaming technically, but it's pretty darn close if you have fast(ish) internet.

·
Legend
256 Posts
hilmar2k said:
You only have to download enough of the title to create a sufficient buffer. For those with high speed internet (think 8-10+ Mbs) you only have to wait a short time before you can begin playback. I downloaded and watched an HD movie last night via VOD and I began watching less than 3 minutes after starting the download, and could have begun much sooner as the movie was downloading in faster than real time.

It may not be streaming technically, but it's pretty darn close if you have fast(ish) internet.
My internet speed consistently tests at 35 mbps and it still takes forever to download one HD OnDemand movie

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
PPV movies can be downloaded in full, and several of them; the clock doesn't begin until you start watching it. And you don't pay for what you d/l and don't watch.

Truly neither PPV or VOD requires an advanced degree. A bit of sleuthing and a touch of patience, though.

·
Premium Member
25,286 Posts
TDK1044 said:

I usually have 11 pushed to my dvr at any one time. Just look in the channel guide at channel 125 _9 you may need to be channels i get, if your favorite channels list doesn't have channel 125 on it.). All the ad banners for movies are on your hard drive.

Also, go into the all movies on demand, and choose in theaters, and then select any movie you think you might want to watch someday when its out. Set your vod que to 5 or 10, and then they will automatically push those movies to you when they are released. Kind of like choosing a netflix movie before its even available, and then having it show up when it is. :)

·
Godfather
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
inkahauts said:
I usually have 11 pushed to my dvr at any one time. Just look in the channel guide at channel 125 _9 you may need to be channels i get, if your favorite channels list doesn't have channel 125 on it.). All the ad banners for movies are on your hard drive.

Also, go into the all movies on demand, and choose in theaters, and then select any movie you think you might want to watch someday when its out. Set your vod que to 5 or 10, and then they will automatically push those movies to you when they are released. Kind of like choosing a netflix movie before its even available, and then having it show up when it is. :)
This is very useful info. Thanks. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,764 Posts
Red Orc said:
My internet speed consistently tests at 35 mbps and it still takes forever to download one HD OnDemand movie
how is the unit conect to your internal lan? Wired or Wireless, does not matter what you internet to dmark speed is, what is important is your connection from your inside modem to the target device.

Have 60MB coming in, go into a SB6120 with a 1GB wired connection to my router, the router all has 1GB ports, the switch where the internet connection is, is also 1GB, the onl slow down is the downlink speed to the Directv box which from what I can tell is 100 mb.

Don't do wireless at all, the speed penality is unacceptable for the convience it gives

·
Legend
256 Posts
wingrider01 said:
how is the unit conect to your internal lan? Wired or Wireless, does not matter what you internet to dmark speed is, what is important is your connection from your inside modem to the target device.

Have 60MB coming in, go into a SB6120 with a 1GB wired connection to my router, the router all has 1GB ports, the switch where the internet connection is, is also 1GB, the onl slow down is the downlink speed to the Directv box which from what I can tell is 100 mb.

Don't do wireless at all, the speed penality is unacceptable for the convience it gives
Wired via broadband decca

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Red Orc said:
Red Orc said:
Wired via broadband decca
I'm using a wireless DECA CCK, with a 6 Mb/s internet, and HD varies from 1.5 times longer than the program length, down to 1:1 depending on the program's bit rate.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Red Orc said:
Your Internet Provider could be throttling you as well....I have a 6Mb/s connection from AT&T(DSL), and I get very similar results to VOS...1.5 to real time for even 1080p

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
CCarncross said:
Your Internet Provider could be throttling you as well....I have a 6Mb/s connection from AT&T(DSL), and I get very similar results to VOS...1.5 to real time for even 1080p
I'm not sure, but maybe this comes down to one's expectations and DirecTV doesn't download faster than 8-9 Mb/s, which is close to 1:1 for HD.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I'm not sure, but maybe this comes down to one's expectations and DirecTV doesn't download faster than 8-9 Mb/s, which is close to 1:1 for HD.
I downloaded a movie from HBO OnDemand and with a 19 Mb/s download speed took 3.5 hours. I have also downloaded HD movies that I could watch almost instantly. I have a feeling that sometimes the servers may be overloaded, but it could have been my ISP throttling me down too, I would like to know how to check.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.